PDA

View Full Version : What do I do with a new release?

Canalsman
09-03-2011, 17:47
New releases are a complete replacement for earlier releases, so you need to overwrite all the data held on your PC or Mac and your satnav.

Unzipping the download

The file that you download is created with WinZip.

Windows XP, Vista and 7 allow you to unzip the files using Windows Explorer. Right click on the file and extract the files.

Alternatively you can use WinZip if it's already installed on your computer.

Another option is to download and install a freeware product such as 7-Zip and use that instead. 7-Zip can be found at 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org)

On a Mac in order to unzip the downloaded file you need to use this software The Unarchiver for Mac | MacUpdate (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22774/the-unarchiver)

Whichever way you choose, you need to extract the files to a suitable folder on your computer (rather than working on the files still contained within the Zip file itself).

The files when extracted are in folders that are named to indicate what they're to be used for - for example, the Google Earth folder contains a file that can be opened by double clicking on it but this will only work if Google Earth is already installed on your computer.

Other folders are named after the sat nav device. The files in those folders will only work when loaded onto the sat nav device - they won't work on your PC.

The User Guide includes links to web sites that give detailed instructions on how to load the POI information onto TomTom and Garmin Nuvi sat nav devices. For other sat navs, you will need to read the instructions that came with the device, or use Google to get the information.

The important thing to remember is that all of the files in the download either need to be loaded by a program (software) on your computer e.g. Google Earth or AutoRoute, or downloaded onto a satnav.

This explains why a number of people have been puzzled as to why they just get a green ‘W’ character on screen when they double click on a file called Wild Camp in the download set of files.

Windows obligingly displays the contents of a file called Wild Camp.bmp when you do this – this file is a picture file for use with the POI files that you download onto a satnav. It’s the picture that the satnav displays to show a wild camping POI as you approach it.

adriacoral
02-04-2011, 21:30
Wish I'd read this first, spent ages going round and round scratching head :confused: ...thanks for that info. Will see if I can get it on tom tom now...lol. Think i'm too old for all this, my 10yr old can probably do it!

northernspirit2001
20-07-2012, 22:25
I can't download this update to my mac, says decompression failed, must be something i'm doing wrong?!

Canalsman
20-07-2012, 22:28
On a Mac in order to unzip the downloaded file you need to use this software Download The Unarchiver for Mac - Replacement for the built-in unarchiver in OS X. MacUpdate.com (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22774/the-unarchiver)

This should sort it ...

northernspirit2001
22-07-2012, 16:19
Thanks, tried that before I posted for help. Never had a problem before. I've checked that Unarchiver is default unpacker for all file types.

northernspirit2001
22-07-2012, 16:25
...I've even tried a different browser, Camino, and get the error message /Users/richardwasteney/Documents/Junk/6ofrkD5T.zip.part could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.

northernspirit2001
22-07-2012, 16:41
I don't know if it's down to something changing with those pesky updates computers say they "need" but i've sussed what i need to do, and assume other Mac users who update will? If i ignored the "cannot open because still downloading" and "failed to decompress file" and look in downloads, there it is. The Unarchiver still tested my patience and unpacked a still zipped file to my chosen destination but worked the second time!

Am I going crazy? maybe

Do I hate computers? definitely

Canalsman
22-07-2012, 16:41
...I've even tried a different browser, Camino, and get the error message /Users/richardwasteney/Documents/Junk/6ofrkD5T.zip.part could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder.

I suggest you use the 'Contact Us' option to seek help from Phil - he's a Mac user ...

Regards

Chris

loraine
03-09-2012, 11:14
many thanks lotty will try what i have read thanks Loraine

trevskoda
26-01-2013, 17:01
New releases are a complete replacement for earlier releases, so you need to overwrite all the data held on your PC or Mac and your satnav.

Unzipping the download

The file that you download is created with WinZip and is password protected. The password to use is the email address registered with Wild Camping.

Windows XP, Vista and 7 allow you to unzip the files using Windows Explorer. Right click on the file and extract the files.

Alternatively you can use WinZip if it's already installed on your computer.

Another option is to download and install a freeware product such as 7-Zip and use that instead. 7-Zip can be found at 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org)

On a Mac in order to unzip the downloaded file you need to use this software Download The Unarchiver for Mac - Replacement for the built-in Archive Utility. MacUpdate.com (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22774/the-unarchiver)

Whichever way you choose, you need to extract the files to a suitable folder on your computer (rather than working on the files still contained within the Zip file itself).

The files when extracted are in folders that are named to indicate what they're to be used for - for example, the Google Earth folder contains a file that can be opened by double clicking on it but this will only work if Google Earth is already installed on your computer.

Other folders are named after the sat nav device. The files in those folders will only work when loaded onto the sat nav device - they won't work on your PC.

The readme.txt file includes links to web sites that give detailed instructions on how to load the POI information onto TomTom and Garmin Nuvi sat nav devices. For other sat navs, you will need to read the instructions that came with the device, or use Google to get the information.

The important thing to remember is that all of the files in the download either need to be loaded by a program (software) on your computer e.g. Google Earth or AutoRoute, or downloaded onto a satnav.

This explains why a number of people have been puzzled as to why they just get a green W character on screen when they double click on a file called Wild Camp in the download set of files.

Windows obligingly displays the contents of a file called Wild Camp.bmp when you do this this file is a picture file for use with the POI files that you download onto a satnav. Its the picture that the satnav displays to show a wild camping POI as you approach it.
some of us might use linux,there is more to life than windows

Lesley552
30-11-2013, 16:38
I also use Linux and feel positively bamboozled by the 'instructions'. Can't figure out how to get the sample file.

Can it not be made available on Googlemaps?
Or my phone?

POI Admin
30-11-2013, 17:37
I cannot advise on the process using Linux, though I would expect it to be possible to download a file from the internet, and then to unzip it to access the contents ...

The download is provided in password protected form because it is solely for the use of members registered on this site.

Admin
30-11-2013, 21:33
I also use Linux and feel positively bamboozled by the 'instructions'. Can't figure out how to get the sample file.

Can it not be made available on Googlemaps?
Or my phone?

Hello,

Which variant of Linux are you using?

sparrks
30-11-2013, 22:18
Can they be used with Anquet maps?

POI Admin
30-11-2013, 23:03
Can they be used with Anquet maps?

I believe so - the Anquet website says the PC software can import GPX files. This format is provided with the POI download.

sparrks
30-11-2013, 23:20
I believe so - the Anquet website says the PC software can import GPX files. This format is provided with the POI download.

Thanks, I will give it a try in the coming week.

Ferrari27
25-07-2015, 07:30
Hi, I have downloaded the new France poi but when I open it in google earth all I can see are poi that
are peoples photos not aires, I am using a mac not windows can anyone help please.
Thanks
Alex

Steve121
25-07-2015, 09:37

Yes, Anquet OMN (http://www.anquet.com/) can import GPX files. From the User Data tab, select 'Import GPX File' and browse to the POI download location on your PC.

OMN PC
Runs on Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP SP3.

OMN Android
Runs on phones and tablets that run Android 2.2 or above.

OMN iOS
Runs on iPhones, iPads and iPods that support iOS5 or above. OMN iOS has been fully updated to support the new looks and feel of iOS7/8.

Maps are downloaded to your PC and/or mobile device(s), and are used offline, ie. no internet connection required to use.

I had been using Memory Map, but much prefer Anquet. The HD maps are brilliant.

Steve121
25-07-2015, 10:43
It's worth noting that Garmin Mapsource (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-install-mapsource-if-it-didnt-come-with-your-gps/) uses GPX files and Garmin Basecamp (http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/shop/downloads/basecamp) (free download) will display maps and POIs installed on your Garmin SatNav when connected to your PC or Mac.

Most important! Garmin Mapsource and most Garmin SatNav units are compatible with OSM (http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/downloads.php) maps, which are free and cover many countries.

Eat your hearts out tomtom users.

POI Admin
25-07-2015, 15:29
Hi, I have downloaded the new France poi but when I open it in google earth all I can see are poi that
are peoples photos not aires, I am using a mac not windows can anyone help please.
Thanks
Alex

I have no explanation for this.

You need to load the France.kml file in the Google Earth folder, either from within Google Earth or by opening the file directly using Finder ...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS