PDA

View Full Version : Garmin POI installation

Canalsman
09-03-2011, 17:50
1. Download and install the latest version of POILoader from Garmin: POI Loader for Windows Updates & Downloads (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927) for Windows or Garmin: POI Loader for Mac Updates & Downloads (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3697) for Mac.

2. Download the POI zip file and make a note of where you have unzipped the Wild Camping POI files - you will need to access the Garmin folder from POILoader..

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/images/poidown.png

3. Connect your Garmin device to your computer using the USB cable. Wait for the device to show it is connected and ready to receive files (Black screen with an ICON at the bottom showing it is connected to the computer.)

4. Run POILoader.

5. Select Garmin Device as Where to save your Points of Interest.

6. Press Next and wait for the program to find your satnav. The satnav will be shown in the box labeled Device:.

7. Press Next. The program will ask the location of the files to be loaded. Use the BROWSE button and select the FOLDER noted in step 2 above.

8. Select the measurement units used for your satnav. Feet and Miles per hour or Meters and Kilometers.

9. The satnav suggests running the program in Automatic. For BASIC file loading, this is sufficient. Press Next.

10. POILoader will begin to convert the POI files and ICONs and load them to your satnav. If POILoader encounters an error with a source file, it will tell you the name of the file POI file containing an error. When finished, POILoader will tell you the number of POI successfully loaded to your device.

11. Disconnect your device using the Stop or Eject USB device.

12. Power up the satnav and select WHERE TO -> EXTRAS and see if CUSTOM POI is displayed. Press CUSTOM POI and you should see a list of all the POI loaded.

tony
10-03-2011, 20:46
chris thank you for the updated poi files.
i've downloaded the current poi files on to my garmin 205.
is there a way to check that i've got the present files & not the old ones still on my device.
thanks
tony

Canalsman
10-03-2011, 21:55
Hi Tony

Did you use POI Loader to put the POI data onto your 205?

If so, I have to assume that the previous files have been overwritten by the March 2011 set. (Remember that the new release is a complete new set of data and is intended to replace the earlier data.)

Regards

Chris

tony
11-03-2011, 10:15
chris i used the poi loader as you said.
so i can assume i have the march 2011 downloaded.
thanks again for all your work & help.
tony

fofeg101
13-04-2011, 17:17
Hi Canalsman, I've used the Garmin POI downloader and it's telling me that the POIs are successfully installed on my nuvi 255W sat nav, but when I open up the POI folder on the sat nav the Wilding POIs aren't there...??? Thanks. I used a data cable to do the transfer.

m30
13-04-2011, 17:46
Hi Canalsman, I've used the Garmin POI downloader and it's telling me that the POIs are successfully installed on my nuvi 255W sat nav, but when I open up the POI folder on the sat nav the Wilding POIs aren't there...??? Thanks. I used a data cable to do the transfer.

I dont think they appear in the POI folder, they are in the Extras file.

Stu

fofeg101
13-04-2011, 17:54
Thanks m30, How can I access the Extras file?

fofeg101
13-04-2011, 18:24
Thanks m30, all sorted, found the extras file in "Where to".

Canalsman
13-04-2011, 23:56
I dont think they appear in the POI folder, they are in the Extras file.

Stu

Thanks for the tip :)

Regards

Chris

bigmeeky
14-04-2011, 21:42
The combination of terribly clever tech and committed individuals here has resulted in a thing of beauty.

Thanks Canalsman and al those who have worked on these files and POIs.

Amazing

Rob McM

Canalsman
14-04-2011, 23:31
You're very welcome :)

cooljules
07-10-2011, 00:03
just tried conecting my nuvi 250w to the pc, wont recognise it, and the same with my laptop. bah.

Canalsman
07-10-2011, 00:25
just tried conecting my nuvi 250w to the pc, wont recognise it, and the same with my laptop. bah.

Jules

Two questions:

1. Are you using the USB lead supplied with the Garmin? Sometimes USB leads are wired oddly ...

2. I presume (daft question) that the Garmin is switched on?

Regards

Chris

cooljules
07-10-2011, 00:27
Jules

Two questions:

1. Are you using the USB lead supplied with the Garmin? Sometimes USB leads are wired oddly ...

2. I presume (daft question) that the Garmin is switched on?

Regards

Chris

i dont think its the lead that came with it, i will check in the morning to see if one is in the box.

and yup, its on, tried it on, off then on, on, off, on etc.

cooljules
07-10-2011, 09:58
found another cable that i didnt know i had and it works, fine and dandy. just popping the POI fines in now, then see how it works :-)

cooljules
07-10-2011, 10:06
all works :-) wunderbar!!!

Canalsman
07-10-2011, 11:57
Well done :)

scotsy
07-10-2011, 20:22
Hi, I followed all the procedure as recommended for the Nuvi and thought it wasn't compatible..........until tonight:hammer:

Having just re-read this thread i realised i hadn't been looking in the right place on the sat-nav

i had been looking in the POI section of the zumo :mad2: but found them just now in the extra's section after pressing 'where to' :bow:

:scooter:

David & Ann
07-10-2011, 22:15
Like Scotsy, I looked in the extra Icon and came up with POI's pressed Poi's and only what I already stored from my personal trips showed up, but No POI'S from the Canalsman inventory. Please help!!!!

Canalsman
07-10-2011, 22:22
Like Scotsy, I looked in the extra Icon and came up with POI's pressed Poi's and only what I already stored from my personal trips showed up, but No POI'S from the Canalsman inventory. Please help!!!!

I can only suggest you double check that you followed the instructions in the link at the beginning of this thread, and take note of the comments later from others who have located the POIs under 'Where To' 'Extras' ...

Regards

Chris

David & Ann
07-10-2011, 22:24
I can only suggest you double check that you followed the instructions in the link at the beginning of this thread, and take note of the comments later from others who have located the POIs under 'Where To' 'Extras' ...

Regards

Chris

I will, Sir. Thank you.

tony
16-12-2011, 09:07
is it possible to download the p.o.i. files onto a memory card for use with my garmin nuvi 205 in order to save memory on the unit ?
if it can be done how can i go about it. please.
im sure there are someone on here with more cop on than me.
thanks all

tony

Canalsman
16-12-2011, 12:25
is it possible to download the p.o.i. files onto a memory card for use with my garmin nuvi 205 in order to save memory on the unit ?
if it can be done how can i go about it. please.
im sure there are someone on here with more cop on than me.
thanks all

tony

The Garmin POI file is quite small - 192Kb - so is this really necessary?

How much free space is there on the in-built memory?

steco1958
16-12-2011, 12:38
If you input an SD card to your Garmin and proceed as normal with the POI's and other files, the Garmin will utilise the extra space as needed, without you specifically loading to the SD card.

Canalsman
16-12-2011, 12:42
If you input an SD card to your Garmin and proceed as normal with the POI's and other files, the Garmin will utilise the extra space as needed, without you specifically loading to the SD card.

Thanks for the tip - that's really helpful :)

Regards

Chris

smokey
16-02-2012, 15:09
Instructions for Garmin Nuvi POI installation can be found here Nuvi 205 Extras | POI Factory (http://www.poi-factory.com/node/24522)

The instructions related to sound files should be ignored ...

Hi all

Although I have been lurking on this site for a couple of years, I have subscribed to full membership mainly I admit to have the POI files on my Garmin NUVI 1310.

I have downloaded the files to my desktop, but the file is in Winzip, which when I unzip gives me a dozen or so files so I am usure exactly what I would download to my NUVI Do I download the zip up file or what. Also at this time I do not seem to have an extra file on my NUVI.

I am not exactly new to this, I have had VW campervans for around 15 years or so, and am very much into wilding.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Smokey

Canalsman
16-02-2012, 15:22
Hi Smokey

Please read through the following thread (if you haven't already done so) http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12540-what-do-i-do-new-release.html

That, in combination with this thread, and the readme.pdf file, should point you in the right direction.

Regards

Chris

smokey
16-02-2012, 15:46
Hi Smokey

Please read through the following thread (if you haven't already done so) http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12540-what-do-i-do-new-release.html

That, in combination with this thread, and the readme.pdf file, should point you in the right direction.

Regards

Chris

Thanks for the quick reply Canalsman

Do I need to transfer all the dozen or so files, including the read me files.

Smokey

red ted
21-03-2012, 19:03
Instructions for Garmin Nuvi POI installation can be found here Nuvi 205 Extras | POI Factory (http://www.poi-factory.com/node/24522)

The instructions related to sound files should be ignored ...

Hi
I have now managed to download the poi's on to my garmin 1300. So now what do I do next when i need to find a poi. ? do you have to wait until you are in the area to want to stay or can you plan your journey and stops. Cant believe I can't mange to sort this out my self Any help you can offer will be most appreciated

thanks from red teds other half:confused::confused::confused:

Canalsman
22-03-2012, 00:06
Have a look here

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/16688-poi-files-garmin-205-a.html

and see if it helps.

Regards

Chris

elainekirk
22-03-2012, 09:01
Hi
I have now managed to download the poi's on to my garmin 1300. So now what do I do next when i need to find a poi. ? do you have to wait until you are in the area to want to stay or can you plan your journey and stops. Cant believe I can't mange to sort this out my self Any help you can offer will be most appreciated

thanks from red teds other half:confused::confused::confused:

Novice myself but this is how I do it.
Firstly if looking for spots elsewhere press the ,where to, option then at the bottom press ,near, and you get the option to search elsewhere.
Moving on to finding the files again you press ,where to, then my files I found in ,extras, the pretty parcel when you scroll down once in extras you click ,custom poi, then wildcamping .
Your files may be elsewhere but I followed the same instructions as you and that is where mine are.
Hope you find them and enjoy them .

Shockingdog
18-04-2012, 17:54

The instructions related to downloading files from POI Factory and installation of sound files should be ignored ...

Hi Canalsman have down loaded POI,s to extras on my Garmin but when I look at the poi,s in extras it has only got 52 poi,s listed ??? Have done the downlosd twice but no more poi,s are listed. What am I doing wrong???

Canalsman
18-04-2012, 18:08
Hi Canalsman have down loaded POI,s to extras on my Garmin but when I look at the poi,s in extras it has only got 52 poi,s listed ??? Have done the downlosd twice but no more poi,s are listed. What am I doing wrong???

This should help http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/16688-poi-files-garmin-205-a.html

The Garmin by default only shows POIs near to where you are currently located.

Regards

Chris

Shockingdog
18-04-2012, 19:03
Thanks for the prompt reply.next question is if I can only see POI,s withing about 30 mls of my location what is the best way to look up wild camp site Poi,s for a trip to say Scotland ?
thanks

Canalsman
18-04-2012, 19:05
Thanks for the prompt reply.next question is if I can only see POI,s withing about 30 mls of my location what is the best way to look up wild camp site Poi,s for a trip to say Scotland ?
thanks

Read the thread that I linked above - it's all in there ...

Shockingdog
19-04-2012, 11:18
Read the thread that I linked above - it's all in there ...
Hi Canalsman.Sorted out by searching near to a location or city.Many thanks for your help.

hobbit
27-04-2012, 19:39
HI,I've been pulling whats left of my hair out trying to load thePOI's onto Garmin.Where it says on the POI Loader "Please select the folder where the data files can be found" I CAN'T FIND THEM!!!!I created a folder in Desktop,but Garmin does not recognise it.
Please tell me what I'm doing wrong,where is this csv.file,Frank

Canalsman
27-04-2012, 22:33
HI,I've been pulling whats left of my hair out trying to load thePOI's onto Garmin.Where it says on the POI Loader "Please select the folder where the data files can be found" I CAN'T FIND THEM!!!!I created a folder in Desktop,but Garmin does not recognise it.
Please tell me what I'm doing wrong,where is this csv.file,Frank

I assume that you have extracted the files from the zip file that you downloaded ... if not, that's the problem.

Once you have extracted the files, then you should be able to browse to the Garmin folder in POI Loader.

(I did suggest that TomTom's are easier to load the POI's onto - you don't have to use any external software, merely having to copy the files using Windows Explorer or Mac Finder.)

Good Luck!

Chris

hobbit
28-04-2012, 14:22
Thanks for all your patience with me,I've finally got them loaded and all working fine.Sage don't alus come wi' age, as my old foreman used to say.Gratefull for all your help .Frank:pc:

carrerclan
01-07-2012, 22:38
Hi fellow WCampers...

I sat down an hour ago, thinking that I would be in bed before midnight! Ha!

Little did I know I was going to get lost in the new territory of POI's POI loaders SOX etc etc...
We have just bought a new navigator (wish I'd read some of the postings here before though!) Anyway we ended up buying a Garmin 3590 LM which until tonight I've been pretty happy with!

1) follow the instructions given at:
Nuvi 205 Extras | POI Factory (http://www.poi-factory.com/node/24522#comment-293393) (if anyone has time to look, I got lost at point 4))

and now having successfully downloaded at least the WC POI's onto my pc have no idea how to go further...

We leave on Friday for a 5 week tour and I really would like to avoid last minute middle of night uploads etc ...so if any of you fellow WC's have got a minute I (the whole family) would be extremely grateful if you could lend us a hand!!!

Here's me thinking it be as easy as plugging in my new navigator to the USB slot and the data would be uploaded...haha who was I kidding!
I'm usually quite good a pc matters although very definitely an amateur so please be gentle with your explanations! I can't even seem to locate Extras on selecting 'Where to' on the navigator...yikes

Best wishes from Switzerland!

Canalsman
01-07-2012, 23:04
I have just updated the first post on this thread - hopefully this will assist you in getting the POIs onto your device :)

Regards

Chris

masuk123
02-07-2012, 22:40
THanks for the poi
regards mike

frontslide
11-09-2012, 18:37
Just put the files on my Garmin nuvi 50 a big thank you for all the effort put into making this possible.

Autourer
24-02-2013, 09:23
Hi all Iím just after some advice here please.

I just downloaded the POI zip file, unzipped it and placed all the opened files in a folder on my desktop and followed every step Canalsman set out at the start of this thread to a T. However when I go to custom POIís I can see the headings Pub Stops, Tap and Wild Camp but when I open all three there are no lists of POIís.

What am I doing wrong? Both my wife and I have gone through the whole process a number of times and have even trawled the net searching for an answer. My Nuvi is a 1490 with Australian maps not that Iíd imagine that should make any difference.

Your help with the matter would be greatly appreciated as Iím endeavoring to load the POIís before we arrive in the UK.
Mick

POI Admin
24-02-2013, 12:59
Please take a look at this thread:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/16688-poi-files-garmin-205-a.html

The Garmin only displays (by default) POIs near your current location. Are you in Australia (which you might be if you've only got Australian maps ...)?

If so, use Google Earth to browse the locations in the download.

tommy
11-05-2013, 13:00
[QUOh

Hi,
Struggled after i unzipped,ive got POI,in Triplicate installed,i'm useing HP netbook
with Win 7,and Garmin nuvi 1340, for next time,any advice,this is all very new to me,
thanks to all who make this happen..
Tommy..

TE=Canalsman;124685]Hi Tony

Did you use POI Loader to put the POI data onto your 205?

If so, I have to assume that the previous files have been overwritten by the March 2011 set. (Remember that the new release is a complete new set of data and is intended to replace the earlier data.)

Regards

Chris[/QUOTE]

POI Admin
11-05-2013, 14:41
Hi Tommy

I don't use a Garmin satnav, but I presume there must be a means of deleting a set of POIs either on the device itself, or when using the POI Loader software ...

I'd advise you to delete the POIs and start again.

belslot
31-01-2014, 22:17
have nuvi 1240, downloaded garmin poi loader for windows when i open it it asks for windows media player11,when i try to update this it goes to 87% then says cant install, does that mean i cant install the poi,i have windows xp sp2,thanks

POI Admin
06-02-2014, 13:41
have nuvi 1240, downloaded garmin poi loader for windows when i open it it asks for windows media player11,when i try to update this it goes to 87% then says cant install, does that mean i cant install the poi,i have windows xp sp2,thanks

Sorry but I can't advise. I think you'll need to ask Garmin about this problem ...

chrisvangastel
17-03-2014, 18:50
Hello,

I am trying to get the POI files from "Wild Camping" to my Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D.
How can I manage this please?
We tried with the discription as you send on the first of March this year, but we didn't got the files on the Garmin

POI Admin
21-03-2014, 13:25
I have no knowledge of this model ... are you saying that POI Loader doesn't work?

If you are still struggling, please use Google to locate help, and then post the results.

Flykiller64
26-04-2014, 16:40
Hello,

I am trying to get the POI files from "Wild Camping" to my Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D.
How can I manage this please?
We tried with the discription as you send on the first of March this year, but we didn't got the files on the Garmin

I've just got the same Garmin and seem to have successfully loaded the POI's. I followed the instructions here but when I first tried POILoader it said the unzipped files weren't in the folder I selected. This was because I hadn't drilled all the way down to the separate icon and POI files so I created a further file on the desktop and dragged and dropped each separate icon and POI file into it. In POILoader I then selected that file as the target file and it appears to have worked.

I copied all the files in one go and my Garmin has separated them all out into 4 different lists in Custom POI's so no need to download each one separately. Obviously I haven't tested it yet but don't envisage any problems.

Matt

No Fixed Abode
22-05-2014, 13:08
I just loaded all the POIs on to a Garmin NUVI 54LM. They now appear in Extras > Custom POIs > All Categories, France, Pub Stop, Tap & Wild Camp. I only needed to go through the loading procedure once to do this. So maybe the instructions in the first post in this thread (that say to do it twice) & those in the user guide (that say to do it thrice) could do with updating?

Also worked out how to find POIs near somewhere I'm planning to go using Where To > Near > A Different Town (or another option). Brilliant, thanks to everyone who's made all this possible & looking forward to trying it all out on the road...:camper:

Cornishaich
26-03-2015, 20:00
Thank you, I am now all sorted, because of the great instructions you have kindly displayed on here .

Harry:lol-053:

kiwi
20-05-2015, 06:45
Sorry but I'm lost. I'm trying to download the POIs onto my Garmin (they are working fine on the pc) and get to item number 5. which says.... Select Garmin Device as Where to save your Points of Interest. I don't see that option. What exactly am I supposed to do here? I tried the "choose an action" but that doesn't seem to lead me anywhere and as I'm in a rush I'm probably panicking! I'm obviously missing something - can you help please?

kiwi
20-05-2015, 07:11
Update! I've progressed to item 9 and it tells me I've loaded the folder. But it happened awfully quickly and I can't see them on the nuvi so somethings wrong and I didn't see any "conversions" going on as mentioned in item 10. I selected the Garmin folder as the POI source. Should I have selected the .csv .bmp files instead of the garmin folder? Still suffering from jetlag so I'll blame that!

kiwi
20-05-2015, 13:37
a bit of further info to the last..... I have 2.3MB as a .GPI file showing in the POIs list on the Garmin so something has been transferred but can't see anything on the Garmin when I fire it up. Incidentally, I see no option of "disconnecting Nuvi" so had to just pull it out. Also, I don't see the option (item 12) of "Where to > extras" as suggested on the notes - there are no "extras". Hope this indicates to someone what my problem is - (apart from lack of sleep!) Appreciate your help.

POI Admin
20-05-2015, 15:16
By default the Garmin will only show the POIs in proximity to where you are located (as I understand it).

Are you in the UK, and has the Garmin located your position?

kiwi
20-05-2015, 17:33
By default the Garmin will only show the POIs in proximity to where you are located (as I understand it).

Are you in the UK, and has the Garmin located your position?
Yes I'm now in the UK, and the Garmin works fine - but can't get the additional POIs to show up.

POI Admin
20-05-2015, 18:24
Please have a look through this thread and see if it helps:

kiwi
20-05-2015, 18:28
....and I don't get to decide which of the "wild, tap, pub stops", (as the article suggests) to download - they are all in the Garmin folder which I select. I'm totally confused now! Appreciate your help, thanks.

kiwi
21-05-2015, 19:09
Please have a look through this thread and see if it helps:

That unfortunately didn't throw up and solutions. Will it help if I say that when I open the Garmin internal storage, > POI, it shows a "wildcamping POIs.gpi" file (of 2.38MB), similar to all the other POIs that the Garmin already has. They are all .GPI files. So something has been transferred but nothing actually showing on the navigation map pages. What are your thoughts about the fact that I understood I should have to run the wild, pubs, and water each separately. I didn't have the option of doing that so is there something missing here? I really need to solve this urgently so appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

POI Admin
22-05-2015, 00:58
I'm sorry but I don't use a Garmin so I can't advise further.

If you look in the POI file Help and Support forum there a number of threads relating to Garmin devices. I think it must be something you're failing to do because many members are using Garmins without difficulty.

queencatifah
25-06-2015, 15:03
Hi. I have just downloaded the latest POIs to my Garmin, to replace the one's I installed much earlier in the year. The process was incredibly quick! Too quick me thinks! How can I be sure I have the latest POIs and not the original ones? If there isn't a technical way to tell, can you tell me of a POI which has been recently added or deleted? Many thanks

POI Admin
25-06-2015, 15:10
If you connect your Garmin to your computer, and assuming it's a Windows device, use Explorer to browse to the folder containing the POI files.

The last release, June, had files dated 30/5/2015.

Hope that helps ...

queencatifah
25-06-2015, 15:30
The date is 3 February 2015 - so it looks like they haven't updated. I'll try again.

queencatifah
25-06-2015, 16:01
Thought I'd lost them, but I've found them again! They are now dated today - not February but also not 30 May. Also, can you advise how to load the toilets. The folder name is Garmin, same as for the other POIs - the POI loader wants to over-write one garmin folder with another, so losing the wild camping locations. Any advice? Cheers

POI Admin
27-06-2015, 21:02
I don't use a Garmin device, but so far as I know only POIs with the same name will overwrite themselves.

So if you add the Toilet POIs the other POIs will be unaffected.

camsmam
06-07-2015, 15:22
I've managed to download the POILoader for Garmin, but your next instruction says to note where I've put the unzipped files. I have no idea what this means! Sorry to be such a dumbass, but I can't work it out. Can you help, please?

TJBi
06-07-2015, 21:11
If you're using a Windows PC and use the Wild Camping POI Downloader to download the files, you will find that by default the unzipped files are located in My Documents\Wildcamping POIs. The date of the folders and files is not that of the creation by POI Admin but the date when you downloaded the files to your PC.

Using the Garmin POI Loader, select the folder where the data files can be found: My Documents\Wildcamping POIs\Garmin.
The POI Loader will offer "Garmin" (the name of the source folder) as the name for the newly created custom POI file. I prefer to change this to "WildCamping" as it avoids confusion.
Click on "Next". If you have chosen the name "WildCamping" and already have a "WildCamping.gpi" file, you will be told that a custom POI file with that name already exists and asked if you would like to overwrite the file. Respond "Yes". Job done.

Tom

POI Admin
06-07-2015, 22:54
Thanks Tom. I've updated the instructions to include the default location you have identified :D

camsmam
07-07-2015, 18:57
Thanks, Tom. Not quite "job done", but after about 4 hours I've finally managed to download the POIs onto my Garmin Nuvi! Next question - what do the various abbreviations mean? CR, OU, LR, etc.? All help appreciated. Fiona.

POI Admin
07-07-2015, 20:56
Please read the User Guide included with the download ... :D

jennyp19
08-07-2015, 08:58
I downloaded mine fine on iPad, but I can't remember getting User Guide, on how to use it. Phil kindly showed me what to do at Rutland water. So, I too do not know what the initials mean - I have a rough idea, but it would be helpful to have a list somewhere!
Perhaps it's different with Garmin. I'll find out later, as I am trying to sort out Maps on my Garmin - managed to download everything 3 times, then twigged I need to go one step further after unzipping files and pick Garmin out of list!

TJBi
08-07-2015, 10:38
I downloaded mine fine on iPad, but I can't remember getting User Guide, on how to use it. Phil kindly showed me what to do at Rutland water. So, I too do not know what the initials mean - I have a rough idea, but it would be helpful to have a list somewhere!
Perhaps it's different with Garmin. I'll find out later, as I am trying to sort out Maps on my Garmin - managed to download everything 3 times, then twigged I need to go one step further after unzipping files and pick Garmin out of list!

The user guides are part of the automated download using the Wild Camping POI Downloader on a Windows PC.
They are also available in the POI Download section of this website. This question is asked repeatedly, suggesting that the information is not adequately highlighted for all users.

See http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-motorhome-chat/44083-poi-please-read-post545924.html#post545924

Tom

PS: Admin, might it be better to move the following nearer to the top of the page?:
"Most of the support requests we get from members are because they have not read the user guides for these files.
Please read the instructions fully before asking for support.

You can download the User Guides for the current release from the links below:

User Guide - England, Wales & Scotland

User Guide - France

Toilet POI User Guide

You can find step by step guides for many devices and software in our POI Support Forums: POI Support Forums "

Admin
08-07-2015, 11:01
PS: Admin, might it be better to move the following nearer to the top of the page?

Your wish is my command, it has been moved.

Johnnygm7lsi
09-08-2015, 19:04
I seem to have a brain freeze, I have installed the POI`s on my Garmin before but can`t remember how I did it, I have done
4. Run POILoader.

but the only options I have in the POI Dowloader are

Choose an action

Deactivate computer

Check for POI updates

and

Open POI folder

I can`t see where to select Garmin Device to save them to the Garmin

POI Admin
09-08-2015, 23:37
You are getting confused between the Garmin POI Loader software and our Windows POI Downloader app.

You are running the app when you should be running the Garmin POI Loader ...

TJBi
09-08-2015, 23:55
When using the Garmin POI Loader, you may find the following helpful:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/12541-garmin-poi-installation-post548258.html#post548258

Tom

Johnnygm7lsi
10-08-2015, 05:05
Ok, think I got it now, so No4 is Run the GARMIN POI Loader. thank you.

Alzhere
11-08-2015, 14:21
Hey POI Admin / Canalsman!

I've been busy collating a few great spots and will soon be submitting them to the database.
In the meantime, I seem to recall previous instructions for uploading specified to upload each dataset separately; Tap; Pub; Wildcamp.
These instructions appear to have been skipped and missed within the latest instructions; or perhaps they no longer relevant?
Having used the data on the road previously, it was definitely useful to be able to search specifically for Tap...
However, what happens if I ALL the data sets are uploaded together?
Thanks!

POI Admin
13-08-2015, 22:02
If you would like to send me your additions by PM that will be fine.

Your other comments confuse me a bit.

The locations continue to be identified by a prefix, and in addition the Wild Camping apps allow you to choose a subset of POIs to display.

Mothership
04-12-2015, 10:05
Hi
Many thanks for this great instruction set.

When I upload to my Garmin 760LTM-D Camper all the POI's are listed under Custom POI's so that's great, my question is "where is this Extras in Where To that people are referring to??, I only have Custom Poi's in Where To and no sub heading Extras
The POI's are there and working, just can't help wondering where my "Extras" is

Thanks
Mothership

Instructions for the Garmin range POI installation can be found here Nuvi 205 Extras | POI Factory (http://www.poi-factory.com/node/24522)

I know it says it's for the Nuvi, but the use of POI Loader applies to other Garmins as well :D

The instructions related to downloading files from POI Factory and installation of sound files should be ignored ...

Edit:

You may find it easier to follow these instructions which have been adapted from those given in the link above.

1. Download and install the latest version of POILoader from Garmin | United States | POI Loader (http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/).

2. Make a note of where you have unzipped the Wild Camping POI files - you will need to access the Garmin folder from POILoader. N.B. If you're using a Windows PC and use the Wild Camping POI Downloader to download the files, you will find that by default the unzipped files are located in My Documents\Wildcamping POIs.

3. Connect your NUVI to your computer using the USB cable. Wait for the NUVI to show it is connected and ready to receive files (Black screen with an ICON at the bottom showing it is connected to the computer.)

4. Run POILoader.

6. Press Next and wait for the program to find your NUVI. The NUVI will be shown in the box labeled Device:.

7. Press Next. The program will ask the location of the files to be loaded. Use the BROWSE button and select the FOLDER noted in step 2 above.

8. Select the measurement units used for your NUVI. Feet and Miles per hour or Meters and Kilometers.

9. The NUVI suggests running the program in Automatic. For BASIC file loading, this is sufficient. Press Next.

10. POILoader will begin to convert the POI files and ICONs and load them to your NUVI. If POILoader encounters an error with a source file, it will tell you the name of the file POI file containing an error. When finished, POILoader will tell you the number of POI successfully loaded to your NUVI.

11. Disconnect your NUVI using the Stop or Eject USB device.

12. Power up the NUVI and select WHERE TO -> EXTRAS and see if CUSTOM POI is displayed. Press CUSTOM POI and you should see a list of all the POI loaded.

TJBi
04-12-2015, 10:54
Hi
Many thanks for this great instruction set.

When I upload to my Garmin 760LTM-D Camper all the POI's are listed under Custom POI's so that's great, my question is "where is this Extras in Where To that people are referring to??, I only have Custom Poi's in Where To and no sub heading Extras
The POI's are there and working, just can't help wondering where my "Extras" is

Thanks
Mothership

Perhaps your model is programmed differently to those on which others are basing their descriptions. But are you saying that "Where to" gives only "Custom POIs" and no options such as "Address", "Go Home", Points of Interest", Recently found", "Favourites", etc.? On my nuvi 765T, "Extras" is one of a few more that are found together with those mentioned.

Mothership
04-12-2015, 22:30
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me

When I go to "Where to?", I get all the usual Address etc etc and Custom Poi's but no specific "Extras" category.

Len

Perhaps your model is programmed differently to those on which others are basing their descriptions. But are you saying that "Where to" gives only "Custom POIs" and no options such as "Address", "Go Home", Points of Interest", Recently found", "Favourites", etc.? On my nuvi 765T, "Extras" is one of a few more that are found together with those mentioned.

TJBi
05-12-2015, 08:53
Hi Len,

On my device, "Extras" only contains "Custom POIs". It may well be that this is all that the "Extras" folder was ever intended to contain, in which case, perhaps Garmin decided when developing new devices to remove an unnecessary layer so that you can go straight to "Custom POIs".

Tom

Mothership
06-12-2015, 10:01
Hi Tom

I think that is exactly the case having now inputted over 190K POI's from every site including all my converted Autoroute data, it's all there in Custom POI's so "happy bunny" this end so may also help anybody else who like me was trying to figure out where the Extras layer went
Thanks for your inputs

Len

Hi Len,

On my device, "Extras" only contains "Custom POIs". It may well be that this is all that the "Extras" folder was ever intended to contain, in which case, perhaps Garmin decided when developing new devices to remove an unnecessary layer so that you can go straight to "Custom POIs".

Tom

maingate
06-12-2015, 10:52
I asked a question about the Garmin 760 Camper satnav on another forum but got no answer.

Is it possible to get custom POI's to show up on the map like the pre-programmed ones (such as Supermarkets, Service Stations etc.)? I don't think you can but would be happy to be proved wrong. :)

Deleted user 48797
06-12-2015, 11:35
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me

When I go to "Where to?", I get all the usual Address etc etc and Custom Poi's but no specific "Extras" category.

Len

Hi Len.
I have this model and it works well for me.
From the home screen tap -Where to..
Next screen tap - Catagories
Next screen tap down arrow 3 times
Tap custom POIs
All your added pois should be displayed in alphabetical order in their directories.
Good luck.
Bd..

WellWornTraveller
03-01-2016, 16:47
I have downloaded the poi to my Garmin nuLink as per your instructions. They appear in the extras folder but I was expecting a "W" to mark where they are on the sat nav map just as they do in they app for tablets. I know I am thick but what am I doing wron? Can you please help?

Bernie:cool1::cool1:

POI Admin
03-01-2016, 18:16
I don't use Garmin sat nav's, but I wonder if they function like TomTom. With their devices you have to choose which POIs you wish/don't wish to show on the base map ...

Have a dig around.

alun145
27-03-2016, 08:52
Hi
Has anyone managed to get the POIs to appear on the map while travelling?

Pleased with the clarity, size etc.and price of £200.
Recognise the shortcomings of map data sets which ensure still use some common sense / road awareness to be used!!

Annoyingly it looses Satellite when indoors when next to PC as I connect to internet and play with it and reverts to "Title" page.
Then when I go outside, get a signal all fine but when reconnected to pc the screen sometimes remains fixed to the intro icon... , it sometimes retains the signal and I can work. BUT if it remains fixed on the opening page / Garmin logo, refind a signal, plan a route and it then seems to stay active.

I have added the Wildcamping PoIs and have the MHF and ACSI sets included.

The Wildcamping POIs are saved to Custom POIs which I have favourited to page after "Where to".
I can locate a selected POI, obtain routes etc ...from the list within Custom POIs, but I dont think I can get the icons to appear on the map.
Have tried dummy routes which I know include a POI. but the icons did not appear.
There is an audible alert it seems but would be far more useful to have icons appear as I travel as on my Iphone..

Can the Wildcamping Map feature be overlaid / added to the Garmin.Have tried playing without success.

If this is not possible any further recommendations? I have a TOM TOM, but about 5 years old which displays the POI icons, but I resent paying so much for updates and traffic info (apparently "Lifetime" with the Garmin, a great appeal!
Thanks in advance for any help.
Alun

alun145
30-03-2016, 18:15
help Garmin 660 LMT D( Aldi) CAN POIs be placed / seen on map, not searched from list?
Hi

Pleased with the clarity, size etc.and price of £200.
Recognise the shortcomings of map data sets which ensure still use some common sense / road awareness to be used!!

Annoyingly it looses Satellite when indoors when next to PC as I connect to internet and play with it and reverts to "Title" page.
Then when I go outside, get a signal all fine but when reconnected to pc the screen sometimes remains fixed to the intro icon... , it sometimes retains the signal and I can work. BUT if it remains fixed on the opening page / Garmin logo, refind a signal, plan a route and it then seems to stay active.

I have added the Wildcamping PoIs and have the MHF and ACSI sets included.

The Wildcamping POIs are saved to Custom POIs which I have favourited to page after "Where to".
I can locate a selected POI, obtain routes etc ...from the list within Custom POIs, but I dont think I can get the icons to appear on the map.
Have tried dummy routes which I know include a POI. but the icons did not appear.
There is an audible alert it seems but would be far more useful to have icons appear as I travel as on my Iphone..

Can the Wildcamping Map feature be overlaid / added to the Garmin.Have tried playing without success.

If this is not possible any further recommendations? I have a TOM TOM, but about 5 years old which displays the POI icons, but I resent paying so much for updates and traffic info (apparently "Lifetime" with the Garmin, a great appeal!
Thanks in advance for any help.
Alun

alun145
06-04-2016, 20:54
I have downloaded the POIs into the Garmin and can see them in list format and can plan journeys to them.
Having tried and failed to locate the PoIs on a map as if on a journey I contacted Garmin support.

They reported that the PoIs will appear when travelling, as they are located in transit ( there being none local to me)

Fingers crossed then that Ill be able to see the pins / flags as I travel and make impromptu stops rather than plan a route.

Hope this helps others like me who are struggling with manuals and edges of knowledge while frustration mounts to the cry of "is it me...."

delicagirl
06-04-2016, 21:02
I have downloaded the POIs into the Garmin and can see them in list format and can plan journeys to them.
Having tried and failed to locate the PoIs on a map as if on a journey I contacted Garmin support.

They reported that the PoIs will appear when travelling, as they are located in transit ( there being none local to me)

Fingers crossed then that Ill be able to see the pins / flags as I travel and make impromptu stops rather than plan a route.

Hope this helps others like me who are struggling with manuals and edges of knowledge while frustration mounts to the cry of "is it me...."

Alun I have a Garmin - so if I understand you correctly - you seem to have found that I cannot find out what POIs are available in any area that I am not currently physically located in ? is that right ?

Fisherman
29-09-2016, 19:07
If using an integrated garmin sat nav.
Would I load the poi files onto an sd card then download onto the sat nav.

Thank you.

POI Admin
29-09-2016, 19:27
You will need to refer to the user manual or check on the Garmin website.

The software, POI Loader, runs on a PC to load the POIs onto a standalone Garmin satnav using a USB connection.

Sorry ...

Wooie1958
30-09-2016, 05:46
Is this any help ?

Adding POIs to a Kenwood device

Points of Interest (POIs) are already included in the maps on your Kenwood device, but additional POIs can also be installed using a program called POI Loader. You may install custom POIs you have made or collections you have downloaded from a website or received from another user.

To use custom POIs with a Kenwood device, you will need either an SD Card, USB flash drive, or a blank DVD. To find out which media to use, consult your owner's manual.

To install custom POIs to an SD card, USB flash drive, or DVD:

1. Insert blank media into computer
2. Create a folder named "garmin" on the root directory of the blank media
3. Download, install, and run the free POI Loader program at Garmin | United States | POI Loader (http://www.garmin.com/poiloader)
4. Select Computer as the save option
5. Browse and locate the garmin folder created in step 2
6. Click Next
7. Select the folder that contains the POI data using the Browse button
8. Name the folder POI
9. Confirm the units of measurement and whether you want to use Express or Manual mode
10. Click Next

The files will now be installed to the SD card or USB flash drive.

To install the custom POIs from the SD card, USB flash drive, or DVD to the Kenwood device:

1. Ensure that the Kenwood device is on one of the navigation screens
2. Insert the SD card, USB flash drive, or DVD into the Kenwood device
3. Touch Yes to confirm that you want to copy the POIs to the Kenwood device
4. Touch OK when notified that the installation is complete

The custom POIs will now be installed to the Kenwood device.

To access the custom POIs on the Kenwood device:

1. Touch Where To
2. Touch Categories
.Touch Extras on some devices

3.Select one of the custom POI categories

The device will now display the custom POIs in order of proximity.

carol
30-09-2016, 09:03
I wish I'd stuck with my Tomtom!

izwozral
30-09-2016, 09:18

That sounded so heartfelt Carol. [[[:heart:]]]

Wooie1958
30-09-2016, 09:26

Carol, my post #98 is not how you will load the POI`s onto yours.

Go to post #1 in the thread and the way to do it is clearly explained.

Steve121
30-09-2016, 09:26
It's been said before, and apparently needs repeating at regular intervals, Garmin's POI Loader software is a completely free program for PC and Mac and can be downloaded from this page (http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/index.jsp).

julesanian
10-12-2016, 15:29
In the spirit of helpfulness and at the risk of repeating the endless advice previously given...

This worked (as admin said it would !) for me ..

I have a Garmin Camper 660

I downloaded the POI loader (as admin recommended !) on this link -

Garmin: POI Loader for Windows Updates & Downloads (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927)

Once the POIs were transferred across using the POI loader, I found them by selecting -

1. 'Where to?'

2. 'Categories'. (Top right hand corner)

3. Scroll down and select 'Custom POIs'

4. Result happiness. All there - Yay, thank you God and Admin.

:fun::fun::fun:

carol
10-12-2016, 15:38
In the spirit of helpfulness and at the risk of repeating the endless advice previously given...

This worked (as admin said it would !) for me ..

I have a Garmin Camper 660

I downloaded the POI loader (as admin recommended !) on this link -

Garmin: POI Loader for Windows Updates & Downloads (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927)

Once the POIs were transferred across using the POI loader, I found them by selecting -

1. 'Where to?'

2. 'Categories'. (Top right hand corner)

3. Scroll down and select 'Custom POIs'

4. Result happiness. All there - Yay, thank you God and Admin.

:fun::fun::fun:

Was that to update Ian? Phil usually does mine but I won't see him before I go to Spain. I'm a bit apprehensive about trying it myself in case I co*k the lot up! :scared:

MollsPhot
16-01-2018, 15:35

Having used a TomTom for many years (which displays the WC icons on the map) I recently purchased a Garmin Camper 770. I have successfully downloaded the wildcamping files and I too am left wondering if it displays the icons? since your post regarding this is quite old did you find out?

POI Admin
16-01-2018, 19:16
He made a subsequent post ...

Fisherman
16-06-2018, 15:29
I have successfully downloaded both sets of pois onto the micro sd card for my kenwood/ Garmin sat nav. But when I put the card in I cannot find extras anywhere.

My system is a kenwood DNX inc sat nav. My map updates are stored onto a micro sd card, the same one that I installed the pois onto.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

POI Admin
17-06-2018, 00:12
Please use the following Google search and see if the suggested links are of assistance:

kenwood dnx sat nav load poi - Google Search (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kenwood+dnx+sat+nav+load+poi&oq=kenwood+dnx+sat+nav+load+poi&aqs=chrome..69i57j33l3.28275j1j8&client=tablet-android-pega&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8)

Liberty hall
12-03-2019, 13:00
Itís been a while since we updated our WC poiís onto our Garmin 770 though we managed to do it we have no idea how!! Weíve read itís easy! which just makes me more frustrated. However sat here weíve updated to the latest Garmin Express, and now reading Garmin POI installation it says download the latest version of Garmin POI Loader. Question is the loader the same thing as express?

Assuming itís different then this could be where we went wrong!! Please be gentle with me as sitting at a PC brings me out in a cold sweat. Also while we have your attention! weíve installed a 32gb card into the 770 to put POIís on though failed last time! any pointers where we went wrong!! (We & I) is because weíre taking it in turns to sort!!

Yours in anticipation many thanks

Wooie1958
12-03-2019, 13:09
No, the Garmin POI Loader is a separate program, make sure you download the correct one i.e. Windows or Mac.

Garmin POI Loader for Windows Garmin: POI Loader for Windows Updates & Downloads (https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927)

Garmin POI Loader for Mac Garmin: POI Loader for Mac Updates & Downloads (https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3697)

Once downloaded follow the instructions found on here.

Liberty hall
12-03-2019, 13:22
No, the Garmin POI Loader is a separate program, make sure you download the correct one i.e. Windows or Mac.

Garmin POI Loader for Windows Garmin: POI Loader for Windows Updates & Downloads (https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927)

Garmin POI Loader for Mac Garmin: POI Loader for Mac Updates & Downloads (https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3697)

Once downloaded follow the instructions found on here.

Thank you ill download it now!! many thanks for speedy reply

TJBi
12-03-2019, 13:22
<snip> Also while we have your attention! we’ve installed a 32gb card into the 770 to put POI’s on though failed last time! any pointers where we went wrong!! (We & I) is because we’re taking it in turns to sort!!

Yours in anticipation many thanks

Just leave the card in the unit. POI Loader should install in unit memory or onto the card as necessary. (Same applies when installing Garmin's map updates, Garmin Express will install in memory or onto card as necessary.)

Liberty hall
12-03-2019, 13:36
Just leave the car in the unit. POI Loader should install in unit memory or onto the card as necessary. (Same applies when installing Garmin's map updates, Garmin Express will install in memory or onto card as necessary.)

Thank you, So I presume you mean put card into pc put poiís on there then install card into unit? Remember be gentle please

TJBi
12-03-2019, 13:42
Thank you, So I presume you mean put card into pc put poiís on there then install card into unit? Remember be gentle please

No, leave the card in the Garmin, connect the Garmin to the computer using USB cable.

Liberty hall
12-03-2019, 13:52
No, leave the card in the Garmin, connect the Garmin to the computer using USB cable.

Thank you

Liberty hall
18-03-2019, 06:51
Morning all
A quick update we downloaded the loader followed the instructions and low and behold I think weíve updated Poiís. Though not being sure itís the latest update (doubting myself) I tried to run the loader again though was unable to do so!! Is this because the loader has detected we have the latest update?
So is there a way of checking it is please?
Also while here we have a 32gb sd card in the sat nav 770 and have done the latest Garmin update, and was expecting it to share the data between internal memory and card! However itís all on the internal memory! So I presume the card is there just in case the internal memory fills up am I wright in my thinking?
Sorry for the long winded update and many thanks for your help

Wooie1958
18-03-2019, 07:38
If you start up the 770 and the WC POI`s or whatever you have named them are there when you search you have done it correctly.

Regarding the SD card when i first got my 760 i put in a 32GB card and Garmin Express split the data fairly evenly between the Internal memory and the SD card.

Then all of a sudden for no apparent reason it started taking data off the SD card and putting it back on the Internal memory :rolleyes2:

A call to Garmin UK customer services 0808 238 0000 satisfied me that Garmin Express will decide whats best and to leave it to it which i do now.

It seems to put data on and take data off the SD card at will and i cannot fathom out why.

Liberty hall
18-03-2019, 08:22
Cheers again Wooie
Yes there under custom poiís many thanks for putting my mind at ease!

Wooie1958
18-03-2019, 08:26
No worries, now get out there and enjoy :wave:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS