PDA

View Full Version : TomTom POI Installation

Canalsman
09-03-2011, 17:58
Those with TomTom satnav devices may find this useful ...

TOMTOMFREE.COM - How to install POI (http://www.tomtomfree.com/Install_POI.htm)

Also bear in mind that some TomTom devices limit the number of POI categories that can be displayed. If you find that some are missing, you will need to delete POI files that you donít use or need. It is advised to back up these files on your PC before deleting them on the satnav.

Some very recent models of TomTom, late 2010/2011, donít allow third party POI files to be loaded at all Ė beware! This restriction is expected to be lifted after many complaints.

tranivanman
09-03-2011, 18:13
Hi and thanks for the info, I've saved it for future reference seeing as how I'm not fully up to speed with these computer things.

tranivanman

adriacoral
02-04-2011, 22:57
Have spent ages trying to do this, followed all instructions. Files are supposedly on tom Tom now but POi are not showing up on list. When I connect TT to pc and look in Western Maps it shows the bmp and a zipped wildcamping file, but when I try to download the ov file again it says it already exists. When I check poi on tom tom the new ones are not there!!! What am i doing wrong?:eek:

Canalsman
02-04-2011, 23:09
Have spent ages trying to do this, followed all instructions. Files are supposedly on tom Tom now but POi are not showing up on list. When I connect TT to pc and look in Western Maps it shows the bmp and a zipped wildcamping file, but when I try to download the ov file again it says it already exists. When I check poi on tom tom the new ones are not there!!! What am i doing wrong?:eek:

Well firstly there should not be a zipped file of any kind on the TomTom - it won't know what to do with it ...

I suspect that rather than extract the files from the zip download into a set of folders on your PC, you have copied the zipped files onto the TomTom.

So make sure you unzip/extract all files from the download per the instructions in the other support forum.

Delete any wild camping zip files from the TomTom.

Copy the wild camp.bmp and wild camp.ov2 files (that you extracted into the TomTom folder on the PC) across to the TomTom into the appropriate maps folder.

That should do the trick.

Just note the caveat about the possibility of a limit to the number of POI categories on your TomTom.

Good luck!

Chris

adriacoral
05-04-2011, 17:38
Ok, thanks for your help. Had a couple of days off to rest my brain before trying again. If i go thro 'my computer' to the tom tom, the files are there, but they aren't showing up on the poi list. I can't seem to delete any poi categories either via tomtom unless they have been manually typed in the list. I can add 'wildcampsites' by typing it in but will it match up with the files already there? Maybe I can delete the poi categories via PC. ? Alternatively hubby has brand new HTC incredible phone, can I download files it onto that? Apparently it has more memory than our laptop.....

Canalsman
05-04-2011, 19:59
Ok, thanks for your help. Had a couple of days off to rest my brain before trying again. If i go thro 'my computer' to the tom tom, the files are there, but they aren't showing up on the poi list. I can't seem to delete any poi categories either via tomtom unless they have been manually typed in the list. I can add 'wildcampsites' by typing it in but will it match up with the files already there? Maybe I can delete the poi categories via PC. ? Alternatively hubby has brand new HTC incredible phone, can I download files it onto that? Apparently it has more memory than our laptop.....

First question - is this a very new TomTom device?

The most recent models don't (yet) allow other POI files to be loaded.

If that's not the case, have you added any POI files to the TomTom other than those it shipped with?

If you have, there may be too many POI categories on the TomTom. When that happens some of the POI categories don't display.

To get around that, make a copy of the OV2 files and BMP files for the categories you want to remove from the TomTom maps folder onto your PC.

Then delete the pairs of OV2 & BMP files from the maps folder on the TomTom.

Finally, disconnect the TomTom from the PC and switch it off and on.

I'd try this before considering the HTC phone (which is a possibility).

Let me know how you get on ...

Regards

Chris

adriacoral
05-04-2011, 20:51
No tomtom is not new and no we haven't added anything to it, we aren't very good with technology - as you may have realised !! lol
I have managed to look at the locations on google earth so I have done something right, is obviously tom tom issue.

Canalsman
05-04-2011, 22:55
No tomtom is not new and no we haven't added anything to it, we aren't very good with technology - as you may have realised !! lol
I have managed to look at the locations on google earth so I have done something right, is obviously tom tom issue.

I've run out of ideas ... lots of people have successfully loaded the POIs using the instructions at TomTomFree.com.

All I can suggest is leave it for a day or two, then try doing it all again.

Sorry :(

Canalsman
29-05-2011, 09:46
Thanks Jen :)

I have struggled for ages to get the files on my sat nav, this is how I did it, downloaded the POI editor from the Tom Tom home page, or just type POI editor in google and the site is there, this is the information i have copied accros for you, its dead easy, my sat nav has got them all on now

Here's a quick beginners guide on how to install POI files to your TomTom Navigator or TomTom running PocketPC PDA.

Step 1.
Lets take a look at what a typical POI set might look like. They usually consist of :

an ov2 file. (e.g. speedcams.ov2) - this is the main poi file that we want to copy.

an optional bitmap image (e.g. speedcams.bmp) - not required but if there's one available we'll want to copy this file too, it'll always have the same name as the main ov2 file.

Make note where your POIS are stored as you'll be copying them across later. Keep the window open or place these POI files in easy reach on your desktop.

Step 2.
Plug the TomTom into your PC with the USB cable and power it up. If you've installed TomTom Home on your PC it may start up now, you can close and ignore TomTom Home as we won't be using it.

Open 'My Computer' and you should see a collection of drives and devices

Find the TomTom drive, it's usually labeled 'TomTom' and it may have a TomTom icon. If the TomTom doesn't show up here, check your usb cable, try restarting TomTom or try plugging it into another USB socket on the PC. Alternatively you could remove the SD card and plug it directly into an SD card reader connected to your PC, TomTom Pocket PC users can use the SD card method or conenct via Microsoft's ActiveSync.

Step 3.
Next, open the TomTom drive by double clicking on it. Active Sync users click 'Explore'.

Identify the correct the map folder, this will depend on your TomTom version and what maps you have installed. It may look like : Great_Britain-Map', 'Western_Europe-Map', 'United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland' or 'United States' etc. etc.

Step 4.
Open the window containing the POI (OV2 and or BMP files) that you want to install from step 1 above. Select the files by clicking on them and press CTRL C. Now navigate to the map folder that you located above and press CTRL V. This will copy the files to the map directory on the TomTom, alternatively you can drag and drop these files across.

Step 5.
We're now going to enable the new POI that has just been copied across. Disconnect your GPS from your computer and turn on the TomTom. Click :
Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Enable / Disable POI and scroll down and select your new POI.
Click Done and disconnect your TomTom.

LRM47
21-09-2011, 14:56
This may help with later TomTom models. My heart sank when I read the earlier part of this thread - it already seems that I won't be able to use the POI database on our Snooper Ventura Lite S6000, bought specifically for the motorhome (although I haven't given up hope and am awaiting a response from their tech dept) but since our TomTom is fairly recent it seemed from the above that I wouldn't be able to use the database on that one either. However, nothing ventured...etc. I connected TomTom to the computer via the USB and closed TomTom Home as soon as it opened. Then through My Computer I found the connected TomTom and opened the folder. I opened the file "Europe" in our case but it wasn't apparent where I should put the ov2 and bmp files. (Didn't help that none of the files contained in "Europe" were displaying their suffixes) I did a search for ov2 files and it became evident that there were plenty of them in the first layer of "Europe". So I guessed that this was the place to put them and copied across the ov2 and bmp straight into "Europe" from the TomTom folder on the unzipped software. After disconnecting and switching TomTom back on, the POIs were present and usable (I didn't have to enable them). The only elements which seem unusable and are, in fact, "greyed out" are the "info" and "phone" buttons on the individual entry selected. The phone part may work when my phone is connected but the "info" button? Any suggestions please? In any event I have also loaded the database onto the laptop for use with Google Earth, but don't know how regularly we may be able to connect in the wilder parts of Wales.

Canalsman
21-09-2011, 15:24
The only elements which seem unusable and are, in fact, "greyed out" are the "info" and "phone" buttons on the individual entry selected. The phone part may work when my phone is connected but the "info" button? Any suggestions please?

Glad you've got it loaded and working :)

There is no phone or other info attached to the TomTom POI data. It's just the location name and its coordinates.

If you look at the Google Earth KML file, there is additional information about some spots e.g. access restrictions, pay & display info, toilets etc. All the pub stopovers have a phone number so you can phone ahead and check if you wish.

Regards

Chris

LRM47
22-09-2011, 09:58
Glad you've got it loaded and working :)

There is no phone or other info attached to the TomTom POI data. It's just the location name and its coordinates.

If you look at the Google Earth KML file, there is additional information about some spots e.g. access restrictions, pay & display info, toilets etc. All the pub stopovers have a phone number so you can phone ahead and check if you wish.

Regards

Chris

Thank you for that - it's a great resource and I have no doubt that it will save us quite a bit on our forthcoming 5-week trip around the UK.

Canalsman
22-09-2011, 10:36
I hope that you have a great trip.

If you find any spots that are now unsuitable, or unavailable, or any new ones, please post updates in the Wild Camping Locations Submissions forum which you can find here Wild Camping Location Submissions for the POI database (http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-location-submissions-poi-database/)

Many thanks.

Regards

Chris

berniesbargreece
12-10-2011, 13:46
Although I have the wildcamping POI files available to up/dowload onto my Tom Tom am I expected to buy this software from winRAR first. I thought when I became a full member it was free? I keep getting a message that says this is only free on a 40 day trail period. Is this why my Tom Tom wil not show its contents?

Canalsman
12-10-2011, 14:34
Although I have the wildcamping POI files available to up/dowload onto my Tom Tom am I expected to buy this software from winRAR first. I thought when I became a full member it was free? I keep getting a message that says this is only free on a 40 day trail period. Is this why my Tom Tom wil not show its contents?

The download files are in Zip format, and can be unzipped within Windows itself, provided you are using Windows XP, Vista or 7.

You don't need to use WinRAR - I think you have probably downloaded and installed a trial version of that yourself.

Have a look here for further instructions http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12540-what-do-i-do-new-release.html

Regards

Chris

berniesbargreece
12-10-2011, 20:58
Sorted Guys. The guide to upload on to the Tom Tom was spot on. I just needed to learn how to get around my Tom Tom thats all. Many thanks for helping Chris/Jen.

Canalsman
12-10-2011, 23:31
Pleasure :)

modfly
09-04-2012, 13:01
I was downhearted when I struggled to install my Wild POIs, but thanks to your instructions, I've done it! Oh so simple. Thanks!!
Sheila

Thanks Jen :)

I have struggled for ages to get the files on my sat nav, this is how I did it, downloaded the POI editor from the Tom Tom home page, or just type POI editor in google and the site is there, this is the information i have copied accros for you, its dead easy, my sat nav has got them all on now

Here's a quick beginners guide on how to install POI files to your TomTom Navigator or TomTom running PocketPC PDA.

Step 1.
Lets take a look at what a typical POI set might look like. They usually consist of :

an ov2 file. (e.g. speedcams.ov2) - this is the main poi file that we want to copy.

an optional bitmap image (e.g. speedcams.bmp) - not required but if there's one available we'll want to copy this file too, it'll always have the same name as the main ov2 file.

Make note where your POIS are stored as you'll be copying them across later. Keep the window open or place these POI files in easy reach on your desktop.

Step 2.
Plug the TomTom into your PC with the USB cable and power it up. If you've installed TomTom Home on your PC it may start up now, you can close and ignore TomTom Home as we won't be using it.

Open 'My Computer' and you should see a collection of drives and devices

Find the TomTom drive, it's usually labeled 'TomTom' and it may have a TomTom icon. If the TomTom doesn't show up here, check your usb cable, try restarting TomTom or try plugging it into another USB socket on the PC. Alternatively you could remove the SD card and plug it directly into an SD card reader connected to your PC, TomTom Pocket PC users can use the SD card method or conenct via Microsoft's ActiveSync.

Step 3.
Next, open the TomTom drive by double clicking on it. Active Sync users click 'Explore'.

Identify the correct the map folder, this will depend on your TomTom version and what maps you have installed. It may look like : Great_Britain-Map', 'Western_Europe-Map', 'United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland' or 'United States' etc. etc.

Step 4.
Open the window containing the POI (OV2 and or BMP files) that you want to install from step 1 above. Select the files by clicking on them and press CTRL C. Now navigate to the map folder that you located above and press CTRL V. This will copy the files to the map directory on the TomTom, alternatively you can drag and drop these files across.

Step 5.
We're now going to enable the new POI that has just been copied across. Disconnect your GPS from your computer and turn on the TomTom. Click :
Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Enable / Disable POI and scroll down and select your new POI.
Click Done and disconnect your TomTom.

Bulawayo Lass
09-04-2012, 20:47
I have been trying to connect my old tom tom one to the computer to add the POI on but the computer wont recognise anything (tom) there.

The only thing l can think of is the cable l am using is a USB to the computer and has 4 different heads off for different connections. Is it possible this is the problem? l can not look for another cable as they are at home but if anyone can think of any other reason l would be grateful. The cable is usually in the car for charging the phone.

Canalsman
09-04-2012, 22:22
All I can suggest is try another cable ...

Bulawayo Lass
09-04-2012, 23:34
Coo Ta Will do was me being impatient :pc:

Beemer
09-04-2012, 23:45
:wave: thanks for the info Chris.
I have already loaded W POIs earlier, but believe it was sheer luck than skill how it got there.
Have used the Tom Tom this weekend and it was brilliant at finding us a Wildcamp spot. :bow:

fairytooth
12-04-2012, 22:15
I have been trying to connect my old tom tom one to the computer to add the POI on but the computer wont recognise anything (tom) there.

The only thing l can think of is the cable l am using is a USB to the computer and has 4 different heads off for different connections. Is it possible this is the problem? l can not look for another cable as they are at home but if anyone can think of any other reason l would be grateful. The cable is usually in the car for charging the phone.

You are using a 'charger' cable which cannot transfer data. You need the proper USB - mini usb cable. PM me if you need step by step instructions.

Bulawayo Lass
13-04-2012, 05:53
Thanks Fairytooth l am now home but life or more to the point the house is upside down as fiancťe is moving in. :-D l will try, if l have time over the next week to dig out the correct cable. Once l actually get my self a bit sorted l will have another go and if any problems l will get back to you not sure how long this part of life will take l am determined not to long.

wearegettingthere
04-08-2012, 13:06
I too am having trouble in getting my TT to read the POI files... i have done and redone again and again... everything that you have all mentioned on here to do and still my TT does not pick up on the files that holds on the sd card... Its and older version TT not the new types... the files are unziped... i have deleted poi on my TT to allow for limited space... files show up on the sd card and the POI file.... but to no avail.... I don't know what to do anymore.... the Google earth wild spots appear on my PC....however will say the Pub stop file does not!... have redownloaded again from this site.... i'm no expert but no novice either and can usually work things out myself or find a solution but this one has me stupped...HELP!! :confused:

Have since fixed the pub stop on google earth...this now works ok....but nothing still on TomTom.....arrggghh..

Canalsman
04-08-2012, 19:15
The Wild Camp.ov2 file and Wild Camp.bmp, and the Pub Stop.ov2 and Pub Stop.bmp files must be copied onto your TomTom into the appropriate map folder.

For example, on my Go 910 the folder is called Western_and_Central_Europe

Please ensure that this is what you have done.

Regards

Chris

wearegettingthere
04-08-2012, 20:00
The Wild Camp.ov2 file and Wild Camp.bmp, and the Pub Stop.ov2 and Pub Stop.bmp files must be copied onto your TomTom into the appropriate map folder.

For example, on my Go 910 the folder is called Western_and_Central_Europe

Please ensure that this is what you have done.

Regards

Chris

Canalsman... Your a STAR!!..... i have spent all day on this and thanks to you Wallah!!!! it works.... Where i went wrong is i assumed ( a dangerous thing to do lol!) that you should copy the POI into the POI file on the Tom Tom... Wrong!!!.... as you said... I copied it into the Map folder and Wallah!!....

:D... Cant thank you enough!... was about to chuck the bl**dy thing!..lol not a good idea i know.. but never the less would have satisfied my frustration.... THANKYOU!! & CHEERS!! :cool1:

Debbie owen
21-08-2012, 14:43
Thanks for the info, 15 mins to set up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

JanettaVienetta
27-08-2012, 21:15
Hi, I have purchased the go live camper and caravan, and installed my tom tom on the computer. I am trying to download the wild camping POI's onto the tom tom, but it is not showing up in "my computer". I am using the usb connection supplied with the tom tom. By the way, I am a bit of a technophobe. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

JanettaVienetta

Canalsman
27-08-2012, 22:55
Some suggestions:

Try another USB port
Try another USB cable
Try another USB device to confirm that the USB port is working
Restart the computer
Reset the TomTom - there may be a reset button to press

Regards

Chris

JanettaVienetta
28-08-2012, 08:29
Can't find a reset option. I have found what looks like an ordinary usb port on the bottom of the tomtom. Perhaps I'll try a usb to usb cable rather than the one supplied by tom tom which has a larger attachment that seems to lock in place magnetically. Sorry if this does does not make sense, but I don't know how else to describe it!:confused:

Janetta

JanettaVienetta
28-08-2012, 09:28
Nope, not a usb port!

Techno100
28-08-2012, 19:57
For those who've become savvy?
I've put together a fileset of poi's to match my Aires and stops gallery.
25 spots and a donkey icon :D
techno_stops.ov2 (http://www.mediafire.com/?2drcpwryd486z42)
Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?xpxlbquzmrdc9zj)

After download you can load the file here and click on each one to view in google
http://www.poieditor.com/

Techno100
30-08-2012, 11:33
For those not using tomtom perhaps you're not aware that with the poi editor linked above you can change the file type for other devices like Garmin.
Simply load my fileset then "save as" and the drop down box will offer the alternatives.

Also don't be confused like I was by thinking the poi editor is a download....it's not! you do it on the page that opens. The download box is for a PDF editor and unrelated

fairytooth
30-08-2012, 13:16
Can't find a reset option. I have found what looks like an ordinary usb port on the bottom of the tomtom. Perhaps I'll try a usb to usb cable rather than the one supplied by tom tom which has a larger attachment that seems to lock in place magnetically. Sorry if this does does not make sense, but I don't know how else to describe it!:confused:

Janetta

Hi Janetta, as yours is one of the new devices that uses 'My tomtom' not 'TomTom Home', when you connect to the computer it uses a different software system but it will still allow POIs to go on your tomtom, albeit a bit more complicated than before! Basically it works through 'Community Content'. You can PM me if you need a more detailed guide to getting them on OR I am happy to do them free for you (ie for the cost of the return postage only). Let me know if you want to do that.

And that applies any other full member too, of course!

Techno100
30-08-2012, 13:45
Personally I find the new method of adding community content with my tomtom much simpler

Canalsman
30-08-2012, 14:01
Personally I find the new method of adding community content with my tomtom much simpler

Is there a link to somewhere that describes how it's done?

Techno100
30-08-2012, 14:48
First download the latest mytomtom for your GO device
https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/getstarted/

This allows adding of community content i.e. third party poi sets

Second
http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13814/kw/third%20party%20poi

Techno100
30-08-2012, 15:31
I'm not being clever
I only learned that this week :p

The POI editor of course allows you to add remove or MERGE poi's

JanettaVienetta
01-09-2012, 21:28
Thanks Fairytooth, I have PM'd you!

Janetta

JanettaVienetta
03-09-2012, 08:25
Thanks to Fairytooth I have managed to get the files on tomtom. Once I knew how, it was easy! :dance:

JanettaVienetta

Canalsman
03-09-2012, 13:42
Thanks to Fairytooth I have managed to get the files on tomtom. Once I knew how, it was easy! :dance:

JanettaVienetta

Glad it's sorted :)

For the benefit of others, would you like to describe what you did?

Regards

Chris

hugo
04-09-2012, 21:08
I have recently bought my first motor caravan. A Peugeot Boxer conversion 2007. I then joined the C.C. and this site as I would love to go wildcamping as we have an anti-social rescue border collie. She is ok with people but hates other dogs. I am an not computer savvy so finding out how to download the POI's is rather confusing to me. I would like to thank you for the advice given here and will give it a try on my Tom Tom soon. Many Thanks.

Beemer
04-09-2012, 21:27
Arrived back from a two week France tour and my Tom Tom was invaluable (many thanks to Fairytooth).
Fairytooth upgraded my Tom Tom to the truck version and downloaded the Wildcamp POIs and French Aires.
Tom Tom already had camp sites on it so we had a choice and used them all!
We did find that Tom Tom wanted us to use the dreaded lane in Rouen which goes under a road, and is too low for our vehicle, even though the m/h dimensions were entered onto the Sat Nav, so beware don't always trust the machine!
Our speedo failed coming back from France so again Tom Tom assisted us by informing me my speed and when exceeding speed limits. Although I was aware of the implications of using the speed camera warning on the sat nav in France, we still used it, but could probably have driven without it as there did not seem to be many cameras and I always stuck under the speed limits!

JanettaVienetta
06-09-2012, 14:06
Glad it's sorted :)

For the benefit of others, would you like to describe what you did?

Regards

Chris

Yes, I'll try.
Plug tomtom into computer.
Close down the internet page that opens (sorry can't remember it's official name).
On desktop, My Tomtom opens at bottom right corner (where the date, speakers, etc, are). At first first I couldn't find it, but when I clicked on the little up arrow for hidden icons it was there. After that it was just like uploading photos to facebook. The files didn't show on the tomtom until I had disconnected it from the computer.

Sorry if this is as clear as mud, I don't have all the right terms for working on the computer, but I hope it helps someone!

JanettaVienetta

vinedad
29-10-2012, 20:11
Having dowloaded the frankly useless iphone file I thought I'd try the TomTom and it works a treat. Instructions were clear and I now have W and beer mugs appearing as POI.
I'll keep the files on the phone for a while because although they don't give directions or precise locations there are links to streetview files to make sure I'm in the right place.

KateCLLRS
27-12-2012, 11:06
As I have an iPhone rather than a SatNav, I've been considering getting the TomTom app for it. Any idea if the WildCamp POI files could be opened with the app?

Viktor
27-12-2012, 11:24
Unfortunately not with the latest iPhone software. Apple blocked the write permission to folder used by the TomTom app, so until TomTom re-write an update to use a different folder for the POIs you cannot put in 3rd party POis at present. This has been the situation for several months.

If you have a 4S or 3GS running iOS 5 or lower then you can still access the required folder, however 6.0 and 6.01 or using an iPhone 5 forget it for now. The only solution is to use a seperate 3rd party app called POIviewer which will do the job. You can select a route and have it transfer to your TomTom app. It works but myself I'd prefer to have them all in TomTom - I'll just have to wait for TomTom to fix it.......of course if your iPhone is jailbroken then none of the above applies.

KateCLLRS
27-12-2012, 14:56
Thanks, Viktor. I suspected that might be the case, might as well save my money & put it to a 'real' SatNav.

james1508
27-12-2012, 17:42
Please see below from the Tom Tom forum, POI facility will be back they say on the next update. There has a been a lot of talk on their web site.

regards

James

App v 1.12 now available in the app store - Page 6 - TomTom Discussions (http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-App-for-iPhone-iPad/App-v-1-12-now-available-in-the-app-store/td-p/383538/highlight/false/page/6)

Viktor
29-12-2012, 09:36
Thanks James. That is indeed good news.

Roger Haworth
13-10-2013, 14:36
When I got all the new POI files into the map folder on my sat nav it wouldn't recognise them for some reason. However I got them to work by backing up the sat nav onto Tom Tom Home on my computer, then deleting the POIs from the sat nav using Tom Tom Home and finally reinstalling them from Tom Tom Home onto the sat nav!

specky4eyes
03-01-2014, 15:40
Having successfully downloaded and unzipped the PoI files onto my MacBook I find I cannot install the PoI's onto my TomTom Blue&Me Go Live 2. Using "Add Community Content" I am told that there is insufficient room on my device. There are a number of pre-installed Fiat group PoI's which I cannot delete so I cannot free up more space that way. I have deleted the Live speed cameras to free up more space but have the same problem. My TomTom "My Drive" shows that I have some 85 Mb free, the Widcamping PoI's are only 8.2 Mb in total so clearly thePoI's should fit. Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

fairytooth
03-01-2014, 16:02
Try installing just one pair of poi files (ov2/bmp) at a time and see if that works

specky4eyes
03-01-2014, 17:48
Thank you for the suggestion, but trying to install the files individually or in pairs doesn't work. I have had no such problems with my Garmin, so I suspect it's some fault with TomTom's method of attaching PoI's using the add community content facility.

I've even tried adding the PoIs using a pc, but the same error message was displayed.

In the past I have successfully added PoI's from ACSI so I'm at a loss as to why I can't add PoI's now. :(

POI Admin
04-01-2014, 10:48
You may have to contact TomTom for their suggestions ...

maingate
04-01-2014, 11:24
Having successfully downloaded and unzipped the PoI files onto my MacBook I find I cannot install the PoI's onto my TomTom Blue&Me Go Live 2. Using "Add Community Content" I am told that there is insufficient room on my device. There are a number of pre-installed Fiat group PoI's which I cannot delete so I cannot free up more space that way. I have deleted the Live speed cameras to free up more space but have the same problem. My TomTom "My Drive" shows that I have some 85 Mb free, the Widcamping PoI's are only 8.2 Mb in total so clearly thePoI's should fit. Any suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

I only have an old Tom Tom One and found that the memory card was virtually full. I made space by deleting all the languages and voices I did not need. This freed up lots of memory. See if you can do that with yours.

specky4eyes
04-01-2014, 12:38
The Blue&Me TomTom Go Live 2 uses My Drive Connect to add PoI's, it is not possible to delete unwanted languages and voices as there is no such facility in My Drive Connect. Furthermore, the TomTom isn't shown as a separate drive on my Mac so I can't delete files using the Mac.

I think there is a problem with the My Drive Connect software, I have the latest version installed and my TomTom is bang up to date. I have contacted TomTom and I hope they can come back with a workable solution to my problem.

Thank you for taking the time to provide a suggestion.

fairytooth
04-01-2014, 13:30
The MyDrive interface is dreadful and prone to lots of problems. Blue & Me is also subject of many complaints. You can try doing a 'hard reset' on your device by holding the on button in until it restarts and you hear the tomtom sound. You can even hold it in longer if you are brave and this will do a major restore (at your own risk of course). I have even found trying different web browsers (Internet Explorer/Google Chrome/Opera) brings different results too believe it or not.

Connecting, reconnecting and resetting sometimes brings about a result but I would warn anyone against using this horrible service if possible. Go back to the older tomtoms that use HOME would be my best advice.

specky4eyes
04-01-2014, 20:04
Thanks for your reply, Fairytooth. Tried the hard reset but to no avail. I have tried adding PoI's using a pc instead of Mac with the chrome browser, no joy. The Blue&Me features on the TomTom are useful but I'm beginning to think my old Garmin Nuvi, wires and all, is much better. The PoI's installed flawlessly on the Garmin and the Garmin seems to make better route choices.

My only hope now is that TomTom will come up with a solution.

Thank you for your time.

steviebuz
28-01-2014, 18:58
Thanks for instructions, seems to have worked first time

clf86ha
22-06-2014, 22:02
Those with TomTom satnav devices may find this useful ...

TOMTOMFREE.COM - How to install POI (http://www.tomtomfree.com/Install_POI.htm)

Also bear in mind that some TomTom devices limit the number of POI categories that can be displayed. If you find that some are missing, you will need to delete POI files that you donít use or need. It is advised to back up these files on your PC before deleting them on the satnav.

Some very recent models of TomTom, late 2010/2011, donít allow third party POI files to be loaded at all Ė beware! This restriction is expected to be lifted after many complaints.

Thank You Thank you Thank You
I've been trying for ages to get these POI's to download and getting quite frustrated with it...I followed his method (uber simple and easy for this technonumpty) and voila!!! there they are.....I am sooooooo excited about my next weekend away now! THANK YOU!!!!!:rockroll:

Exu
24-05-2015, 10:26
I want to download and install the POI file and install it on my TomTom (Camper and Caravan).

Your instructions tell me to first follow the instructions to download it onto my PC.

Q1 Which instructions?

Q2 I run TomTOm Mydrive on my Macbook Air - so I cannot even get past first base!

Advice please?

Thanks

POI Admin
24-05-2015, 13:27
I recommend you use the Windows POI Downloader App. Details can be found here:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-applications/38859-windows-poi-downloader-app.html

After that please follow the TomTom instructions which can be found here:

How can I install or remove third party POIs? (http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13814/~/how-can-i-install-or-remove-third-party-pois%3F)

lego baby
29-05-2015, 14:56
I have been trying,without success to download the Wildcamping poi info on to my TomTom.I have the poi downloader
on screen & have chosen the "get activation code" option, having obtained the code I then press "activate this pc" I
then enter my user name & the process then comes to a full stop, frozen on my user name. I have turned off my
Kaspersky firewall & retried but ground to a halt at the same point. I have had this TomTom for about 7 years, it is a
TomTom ONE 3rd Edition (512mb). Your thoughts / assistance would be appreciated.

Regards, Paul.

POI Admin
29-05-2015, 18:57
Sorry you're having trouble.

If you send a PM to MikeH (App Support) he may be able to help ...

Craig4568
03-10-2015, 12:56
I'm completely comfortable installing tom tom ov2 file i however cannot get them to down load does anyone have a direct link I'm trying to download using safari on a macbook getting decompression failed message

thanks in advance

POI Admin
03-10-2015, 14:09
Please take a look at this thread and see if it helps:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/26844-safari-mac-download-problems-solved.html

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS