PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft AutoRoute POI installation

Canalsman
09-03-2011, 17:59
To load POI information into AutoRoute this is what you need to do:

• Open AutoRoute
• Choose Data, Import Data Wizard
• Browse to the Autoroute pushpins folder
• Select ‘Files of type: Text files (*.txt, *.csv …)
• Select the wild camp.csv file then click Open
• Ensure that Comma is selected as the character that separates the fields, then click Next
• Ensure Country/Region is United Kingdom, and that the ‘First row contains column headings’ option is ticked, then click Finish
• 2,464 points should be mapped, and appear as red pushpins
• In the left Pushpins pane, right click on ‘wild camp’ and then choose Properties
• To change the pushpin symbol to ‘W’ for wild camp, click on the symbol drop down arrow, then click on ‘Import custom symbol …’
• Find wild camp.bmp – in the TomTom folder for example – and select it and click Open
• A green ‘W’ should appear, which you can click
• Finally, click the Balloon tab and tick the Information box, then click OK
• The map should now display with lots of green W’s
• To make this file available for future use, make sure that you choose File, Save, and save the .AXE file with a suitable name in an appropriate folder

NB This will only be necessary for the March 2011 release. Future releases will include an AutoRoute AXE format file that can be loaded directly.

ian81
01-06-2011, 13:19
As promised the new (June) release includes an .axe file for Autoroute....... but I suspect it may not work with older versions (e.g. 2006)??????
Ian

Canalsman
01-06-2011, 23:16
As promised the new (June) release includes an .axe file for Autoroute....... but I suspect it may not work with older versions (e.g. 2006)??????
Ian

Yes that may well be so - the file in the downlaod was produced with AutoRoute 2010 ...

nomad-col
06-06-2011, 14:40
Yes that may well be so - the file in the downlaod was produced with AutoRoute 2010 ...

The info said that it may not work with older versions of autoroute eg 2006. I think that you should have said 2007 as it will not work for that either. and had you said that I could have saved myself 15 for the subscription which I feel I have wasted.
Colin

ian81
06-06-2011, 20:01
The info said that it may not work with older versions of autoroute eg 2006. I think that you should have said 2007 as it will not work for that either. and had you said that I could have saved myself 15 for the subscription which I feel I have wasted.
Colin

Don't be so hasty Colin. There is a solution -just follow the instructions given at the top of this post -just get the CSV file from the garmin folder.

Just remeber with any POI set it is relatively easy to convert from one format to another using various free programs such as 'itnconv.exe'

nomad-col
08-06-2011, 19:06
Don't be so hasty Colin. There is a solution -just follow the instructions given at the top of this post -just get the CSV file from the garmin folder.

Just remeber with any POI set it is relatively easy to convert from one format to another using various free programs such as 'itnconv.exe'

Hi Ian many thanks for trying but the only csv file I can find is the excel listing and I cannot manage to do anything with that.( I am not very good with this sort of thing.) I'm off to Scotland tomorrow for a (hopefully not too wet) couple of weeks so I will just have to manage without the poi file.
Colin

ian81
08-06-2011, 19:14
Colin
Do just follow the instructions given -they are good. Just the location of the file is in a slightly different location.

activecampers
08-06-2011, 21:19
Colin - Ians instuctions should work.

nomad-col
15-06-2011, 14:21
Colin - Ians instuctions should work.

Hi, Thanks for your interest Ian and activecampers I will keep trying. We are at Dingwall just now but I must say that using the poi's on my satnav has proved absolutely worthwhile so it was 15 well spent, and when I manage to load them on to an autoroute 2007 file I'm certain it will be the "bees knees"

Canalsman
18-06-2011, 14:29
Hi, Thanks for your interest Ian and activecampers I will keep trying. We are at Dingwall just now but I must say that using the poi's on my satnav has proved absolutely worthwhile so it was 15 well spent, and when I manage to load them on to an autoroute 2007 file I'm certain it will be the "bees knees"

Hi Colin

I've been away on holiday for a couple of weeks so I've only just seen your post.

I'm glad that your satnav is 'doing the business' :)

If you have any difficulties with Autoroute when you get back, let us know and between us I'm sure we can get you sorted.

Regards

Chris

kernowprickles
31-07-2011, 15:52
I'm having problems loading the latest POI into my ancient Autoroute 2005, which may be too old for the job now?? I tried the advice above, and it was all going fine until I reached the point where I should have clicked finish, and lived happily ever after. It says "No valid location heading found. Make sure the selected Country/Region and all column headings for location data are correct." Well, I had "United Kingdom" selected, and "First row contains column headings" ticked, so i haven't got a clue what to do next! (Apart from buy Autoroute 2010??)

Can anyone help???

ian81
31-07-2011, 17:12
I suspect that AR 2010 won't help you.

In AR if you try and import a csv file it looks at the first line and if it sees headings such as 'Longitude' 'Latitude' it automatically assigns those columns. If it doenst find headings you have to specify these. Don't check the 'first row contans.....' just look at the data and fill in the data type using the drop down boxes.
Hope this helps.

kernowprickles
31-07-2011, 17:22
Thanks, ian81, but what heading do I use for the column with the PH, CR, etc??

kernowprickles
31-07-2011, 17:52
Finally got it working, and now have lots of lovely green Ws all over the place!! Thanks again, ian81!!

Canalsman
31-07-2011, 19:17
I'm having problems loading the latest POI into my ancient Autoroute 2005, which may be too old for the job now?? I tried the advice above, and it was all going fine until I reached the point where I should have clicked finish, and lived happily ever after. It says "No valid location heading found. Make sure the selected Country/Region and all column headings for location data are correct." Well, I had "United Kingdom" selected, and "First row contains column headings" ticked, so i haven't got a clue what to do next! (Apart from buy Autoroute 2010??)

Can anyone help???

Note that the download now includes an AXE file to load into Autoroute directly. This file was produced with Autoroute 2010 - I am unable to test it in earlier versions ...

ian81
31-07-2011, 19:30
... I don't think it does (see my other post)

Canalsman
31-07-2011, 20:12
... I don't think it does (see my other post)

Sorry! Missed that ...

I will include a CSV file for import into earlier versions of Autoroute with the next release.

Regards

Chris

kernowprickles
31-07-2011, 20:21
Thanks, Chris, all us owners of ancient Autoroute versions will be very grateful!! x x

Canalsman
31-07-2011, 20:23
Thanks, Chris, all us owners of ancient Autoroute versions will be very grateful!! x x

You're very welcome :)

AndMart
09-09-2011, 11:36
Hi

There is a problem with the .axe file and AutoRoute 2011. The location details are correct but the infomation seems to be the same for all POIs, it always shows 0191 236 6780 http://tinyurl.com/y47h7g

The file is automatically converted when first opened in AR2011 so not sure if that is the cause of the problem.

Do any of the .csv files contain the extra information details?

Thanks
Andy

Canalsman
09-09-2011, 16:13
Andy

This is a problem that's been reported previously. It's a case of Microsoft doing what they do best - changing file formats for no apparent gain ...

The additional info is only in the AXE file, and the Google Earth KML file.

With the next release I will again include a CSV file that can be imported into all versions of Autoroute, as well as supplying the 2010 version AXE file.

Regards

Chris

Devadave
03-04-2012, 13:00
Hi
I have downloaded the POI to Autoroute 2010 no problems, however my question is
is it possible using AR to just show "W" POI's which are just PH? as I do like to combine my two real joys... Wildcamping and Beer!:help:

I thought Id ask? as I keep getting caught at work trying to work it out...:dance::ninja:

chhers
Dave

Canalsman
03-04-2012, 13:57
I can't find a way to do this either ...

I'll see what I can come up with for the next release.

In the meantime, if you use Google Earth you can focus on an area and look for the PH tagged pushpins.

Autoroute doesn't seem to let you display all the location names unfortunately.

Devadave
03-04-2012, 15:06
Yep using that as well (Google Earth), will have to see what happens when im away and cant tether the phone for internet access..but i do like the look of the UK covered in red flags... me being a Liverpool supporter :bow:

still think its a great investment and you have done a great job "Canalsman"... and will be giving it some use this weekend... roll on the beer and Wilding for easter.... :have fun:

ian81
04-04-2012, 06:54
My approach with large POI sets where I want a selection is as follows:

Don't read on if you aren't into using spreadsheet software!!

First get the data into a 'CSV' format and load into the spreadsheet - with the wild POI that is in the 'Garmin' folder.

Open -generally you will see three columns, which you can then sort.

In the 'wild' case sort on column three producing a list with all the different types of POI grouped.

Highlight and copy the POI you want -e.g. the PH ones are at the end of the list, into a new spreadsheet.

Optionally insert a new first line with longitude latitude name in the three columns -this makes importing into A'Route easier.

Save as a CSV and then import into A'Route.

Hope this may help.

For the future this may be a possible??

??When the pins are imported alter the pin displayed property, repeat above for all different categories, and save as an 'axe' file??

Canalsman
04-04-2012, 12:36
I am contemplating doing something similar when I produce the next release ...

walpeter
05-02-2015, 18:34
I have Autoroute 2001 and although I can get the wizard to open the txt. files as per your instructions, it does not succeed in placing the POI's on the map?

It says "no valid location headings are found".

Any ideas?

POI Admin
05-02-2015, 19:24
I just checked the instructions, and there's an error in step 4.

It should read:

4. In the Import Data Wizard window, click Next (the Separator Character must be left as Tab)

Please try that ...

walpeter
06-02-2015, 06:45
Thanks. I tried that last night after doing trial and error combinations and hey presto! it worked.

POI Admin
06-02-2015, 13:51
I'm glad it's sorted :D

gerry laycock
24-05-2015, 16:25
as a new full member who cant follow all the jargon.
is there not a simple way of downloading wild sites & pub stops?
HELP

POI Admin
24-05-2015, 18:09
If you use a Windows PC, I recommend that you use the Windows POI Downloader app.

Full instructions can be found here:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-applications/38859-windows-poi-downloader-app.html

Once the data has been downloaded, what you do with it depends on the devlce or devices that you wish to use. Take a look in the POI file Help and Support forum for guidance.

If you have a smartphone or a tablet, you may find it easier to use the Wild Camping app which is available for both Android or iOS devices.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS