PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth POI installation

Canalsman
09-03-2011, 18:14
To use the Google Earth file is easy - ensure that you have downloaded and installed Google Earth. Then use File, Open and select the .KML file in the Google Earth folder, or double click the .KML file to launch Google Earth.

The wild camping spots should then appear under ‘Temporary Places’, and appear as pushpins on the Google Earth view. There are lots and lots of them!

If you click on individual waypoints, you will find that some of them have additional information shown.

Most places have a link that will show you the site using Google Streetview.

The links to these have been created using TinyURL which reduces the length of the link to just 26 characters (the original links are much, much longer ...). Just click on the link in Google Earth and it will appear in a window, or copy and paste the TinyURL into your web browser ...

To change the appearance of the pushpin labels, follow these instructions:

Go to Tools, Options, then select the 3D View tab (if necessary)
Next click the 3D Font button
You can now choose a font, style of font (normal, italic etc), and size of font
If you can, choose Arial Narrow, Normal, 12 point and click OK
Back at the 3D View tab note that you can choose Small, Medium or Large Labels/Icon Size
Try selecting the sizes and then click Apply to see the effect on the underlying map - I find Small works well for me with the above font selection
Adjust till you're happier with the result

If you want to remove the labels altogether, do the following:

Click the + sign to the left of the 'wild camp' item under Temporary Places
Right click on Waypoints, then choose Properties
Click on the Style/Color tab
Then reduce the Label Opacity to 0% before clicking OK

If you wish to change the pushpin colour do the following:

Right click on the name of folder under Temporary Places e.g. Wild Camp
Click on Properties, then Style, Color
Finally click on the icon colour and choose what you want

fofeg101
13-04-2011, 08:52
Thanks Canalsman, brilliant resource, I've successfully installed the POIs into my Garmin Nuvi, I can't use the the resource on my Memory Map because it tells me mine is an older version. Anyway, I downloaded and stalled Google Earth but when I click on file I can't find the .KML file, lots of other stuff but not that, if I click on the unzipped .KML file itself I get a pop up asking: "What do you want to do with wildcamp.kml?". it then gives 3 options: "Open", "Save" or "Save as", which ever one I click nothing happens, I just get a blank screen. I must be doing something wrong?

Canalsman
13-04-2011, 11:41
I downloaded and stalled Google Earth but when I click on file I can't find the .KML file, lots of other stuff but not that, if I click on the unzipped .KML file itself I get a pop up asking: "What do you want to do with wildcamp.kml?". it then gives 3 options: "Open", "Save" or "Save as", which ever one I click nothing happens, I just get a blank screen. I must be doing something wrong?

I'm not sure precisely what you're doing ...

Have you unzipped the files into a folder location on your PC? I suspect not.

If not, please do so.

Then the easiest way to open the wild camp.kml file is to use Windows Explorer, and then double click on the file itself.

That should then load Google Earth and the contents of the file.

If this isn't working, try restarting your computer, then try again.

If there's still no joy, uninstall and reinstall Google Earth.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Chris

fofeg101
13-04-2011, 17:06
Thanks Canalsman, you were right I hadn't created a folder for the unzipped files, works fine now. However, the POIs isn't working on my Garmin nuvi 255w, I've put a Query on the Garmin thread, thanks again.

Canalsman
13-04-2011, 17:50
Excellent :)

n brown
03-03-2012, 22:03
ok i click file i click open ,then i,m stuck.the only place i can see kml is in a box above open and cancel.how do i find the google earth folder,where is it?

bluewell3
20-12-2012, 12:18
Is there a way to remove just the wild POI sites and leave the Pub POI`s

POI Admin
20-12-2012, 12:29
That's why the POIs are supplied as separate files ...

Just open the one you want.

maingate
20-12-2012, 12:30
Is there a way to remove just the wild POI sites and leave the Pub POI`s

Maybe someone at Alcoholics Anonymous knows. :cheers:

Sorry, I'll get me coat. :o

bluewell3
20-12-2012, 13:09
That's why the POIs are supplied as separate files ...

Just open the one you want.

I have deleted all reference to POI`s on my computer and Google Earth still opens with both POI`s ?

POI Admin
20-12-2012, 13:30
You will probably find that both the wild camping and pub stop POIs have been saved under My Places in Google Earth.

Right click on Wild Camp and choose delete - that should do it.

bluewell3
20-12-2012, 14:31
Thanks Admin... success :D

Bayleaf
02-01-2013, 16:40
Have just downloaded new POIs for Google Earth on my Pc and every red pin has three descriptions next to it . What have i done wrong?

POI Admin
02-01-2013, 16:53
See post number 11 above - and delete duplicate entries ...

maingate
06-01-2013, 15:32
When I downloaded the latest Google Earth POI's, I noticed a number of yellow pins in Europe.

Are these foreign POI's and are they new (never noticed them before)?

POI Admin
06-01-2013, 15:54
When I downloaded the latest Google Earth POI's, I noticed a number of yellow pins in Europe.

Are these foreign POI's and are they new (never noticed them before)?

They are not present in the Wild Camp.kml file, so I think you must have added them inadvertently.

maingate
06-01-2013, 16:02
They are not present in the Wild Camp.kml file, so I think you must have added them inadvertently.

Very inadvertantly I would say ......... we don't do Europe. :D

The couple I looked at closely are definitely suitable for wildcamping. I will investigate in depth.

BGT180
06-01-2013, 16:09
Hi

I recently downloaded the POI file successfully using TOMTOMFREE.com to my TTXL. Subsequently when looking up something on Google Earth I was amazed to find the UK covered in a rash of pins. On examination it proved to be the downloaded sites- scary but ok:scared: Seems to have loaded automatically?

Barry

Brian the snail
29-04-2013, 21:13
Hi,

I've downloaded the Poi's and loaded them into Google Earth fine, when I click on the tinyurl link it opens maps and street view but I get a dialogue box telling me I need version 10 or later of Adobe Flash Player,( I am currentl using Flash player version 11.7.700.169 ) this locks the street view appart from the zoom function. I have tried reloading Earth and Flas Player but it hasn't resolved. Street view works fine in Google Maps and in Google Earth without using the link. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a resolution.

Regards

Clive:confused:

rach
29-04-2013, 21:28
I've downloaded all the recommended software on both my kindle HD fire & HTC phone but cannot load the poi files. I got further on the kindle but failed at the password stage (was entering my e-mail address as suggested but no luck). Can't even get that far on the phone !
Any help in simple English appreciated.

POI Admin
29-04-2013, 22:38
I've downloaded all the recommended software on both my kindle HD fire & HTC phone but cannot load the poi files. I got further on the kindle but failed at the password stage (was entering my e-mail address as suggested but no luck). Can't even get that far on the phone !
Any help in simple English appreciated.

Hi Rach

I cannot offer any guidance with the Kindle - no-one on the site has posted any info about using one of these.

However, for the HTC, please read this thread:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/27310-pois-google-maps-android-updated-march-2013-a.html

POI Admin
29-04-2013, 22:41
Hi,

I've downloaded the Poi's and loaded them into Google Earth fine, when I click on the tinyurl link it opens maps and street view but I get a dialogue box telling me I need version 10 or later of Adobe Flash Player,( I am currentl using Flash player version 11.7.700.169 ) this locks the street view appart from the zoom function. I have tried reloading Earth and Flas Player but it hasn't resolved. Street view works fine in Google Maps and in Google Earth without using the link. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a resolution.

Regards

Clive:confused:

Is the problem on a PC, Mac or phone?

If it's on a PC, try rebooting the PC. If that doesn't work, try installing a different internet browser and setting it as the default browser.

Brian the snail
30-04-2013, 21:15
Hi Admin,

The problem is on a Laptop running Windows Vista. I reset the default browser to Google chrome rebooted the system then tried again, the problem still persists.
Google have a known problem with windows 8 and street view but there is no mention of any street view problems with Vista. The problem only occurs when the
tinyurls are activated, in Google maps and Google Earth which I open the street view works normally. I have found a sort of work around by activating the Url then clicking the button in the upper right area of the page which asks would you like to view in Google Chrome, I can then view the area of the URL street view but lose any markers so it can be difficult to know exactly where you are. I will continue to try to find the cause and if I do I will report back.

Regards
Clive

POI Admin
30-04-2013, 22:50
I'm sorry but I have no other suggestions ...

Any solution/cause if found would be helpful.

(Do you have another computer to try?)

POI Admin
30-04-2013, 22:53
Just found this - take a look and see if it helps:

Vista: Getting Adobe Flash Player to Work | a Tech-Recipes Tutorial (http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2153/vista_adobe_flash_player/)

sl1ppy
03-05-2013, 19:55
I'm trying to get this on my I Phone but failing miserably. Any masterminds out there that can help? I've got Google Earth app on my phone but that's as far as I've got.

POI Admin
03-05-2013, 20:52
I'm trying to get this on my I Phone but failing miserably. Any masterminds out there that can help? I've got Google Earth app on my phone but that's as far as I've got.

Please read this thread:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/17007-poi-google-earth-iphone-ipad.html

Brian the snail
10-05-2013, 20:16
Hi Admin,

Tried the link you supplied with no success, but after reading a lot of Google Earth / streetview problems and fixes I tried downloading Adobe Flashplayer as other versions and not Internet Explorer specific, Voila the problem is solved. Apparently the issue is related to the internal browser in G Earth not being an Internet Explorer product thus it does not recognise the IE specific version.

Thanks for all the help, without the reference to tech-recipes.com I would not of expanded the searches I did.

Best Regards

Clive:cheers:

Ellendale
21-06-2013, 21:01
Hi there canalman!
Is the POI download usable on my new satnav - as above - ?

If so can you please suggest how I get the files onto it.

Many thanks for your hard work.
Ellendale

POI Admin
24-06-2013, 15:27
Hi there canalman!
Is the POI download usable on my new satnav - as above - ?

If so can you please suggest how I get the files onto it.

Many thanks for your hard work.
Ellendale

To the best of my knowledge none of the Snooper devices allow third party POIs to be loaded - sorry!

Aunty P
24-06-2013, 15:56
Hi, This may not be the ideal thread to post this, but I'm sure it's not a hanging offence! I'm giving some thought to purchasing a tablet to log into the POI's when away in the van. Something not too expensive but still useable. Can anyone please make a recommendation of a suitable unit.
Thanks in advance.

barrybd
28-07-2013, 12:07
can you use poi on iphone 4s if so how

POI Admin
28-07-2013, 12:52
can you use poi on iphone 4s if so how

Please have a look at this thread:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/17007-poi-google-earth-iphone-ipad.html

Firebird123
16-06-2014, 13:47
Cannot access POI went through stages and added my password, but adobe keeps saying file not recognised, don't know how to change to Google Earth (Loaded) getting really fed up !!!!

POI Admin
16-06-2014, 14:12
Sorry you're having trouble.

I don't understand why Adobe is trying to load something. Please have a read through the following thread and see if that helps:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12540-what-do-i-do-new-release.html

Admin
16-06-2014, 14:16
Cannot access POI went through stages and added my password, but adobe keeps saying file not recognised, don't know how to change to Google Earth (Loaded) getting really fed up !!!!

There is no Adobe software that you should be using.

After unzipping do you have separate directories for Garmin, TOMTOM, Google Earth, etc ?

Firebird123
18-06-2014, 15:16
To use the Google Earth file is easy - ensure that you have downloaded and installed Google Earth. Then use File, Open and select the .KML file in the Google Earth folder, or double click the .KML file to launch Google Earth.

The wild camping spots should then appear under ‘Temporary Places’, and appear as pushpins on the Google Earth view. There are lots and lots of them!

If you click on individual waypoints, you will find that some of them have additional information shown.

Most places have a link that will show you the site using Google Streetview.

The links to these have been created using TinyURL which reduces the length of the link to just 26 characters (the original links are much, much longer ...). Just click on the link in Google Earth and it will appear in a window, or copy and paste the TinyURL into your web browser ...

To change the appearance of the pushpin labels, follow these instructions:

Go to Tools, Options, then select the 3D View tab (if necessary)
Next click the 3D Font button
You can now choose a font, style of font (normal, italic etc), and size of font
If you can, choose Arial Narrow, Normal, 12 point and click OK
Back at the 3D View tab note that you can choose Small, Medium or Large Labels/Icon Size
Try selecting the sizes and then click Apply to see the effect on the underlying map - I find Small works well for me with the above font selection
Adjust till you're happier with the result

If you want to remove the labels altogether, do the following:

Click the + sign to the left of the 'wild camp' item under Temporary Places
Right click on Waypoints, then choose Properties
Click on the Style/Color tab
Then reduce the Label Opacity to 0% before clicking OK

If you wish to change the pushpin colour do the following:

Right click on the name of folder under Temporary Places e.g. Wild Camp
Click on Properties, then Style, Color
Finally click on the icon colour and choose what you want

It is NOT EASY I cannot find any Klm files even asked PC advisor they could not help
I am very frusrtated !!!!!!!!

POI Admin
18-06-2014, 19:44
Not KLM - KML ...

Big difference.

jeffcam
17-06-2016, 11:49
I heard google earth was no longer active. No support either. Tried uninstalling as it does not load up on computer. Re installed the latest but still the same.
Is this the case and if so, can I download the WC POI's into google maps?

Mul
17-06-2016, 14:10
I heard google earth was no longer active. No support either. Tried uninstalling as it does not load up on computer. Re installed the latest but still the same.

Not as a general user, unless you develop API's for the google earth "engine" (if folks can't upload POI's don't ask what the google earth engine is, but it doesn't affect you and me !)

go here ... the big white on blue background "download google earth" !

Google Earth (https://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/earth/explore/products/desktop.html)

If you didn't do anything funny with your POI download, on a PC at least, your "KML" files will more than likely be in a similar folder to this ...

C:\Users\Desktop\Documents\WildCamping POIs\Google Earth

HTH

Wooie1958
17-06-2016, 15:08

Just tried mine and it`s working fine, the latest WC POI set loaded onto it OK.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS