PDA

View Full Version : beer and wildcampingi

matthew123
07-04-2011, 19:30
What is the law with regaurds to parking up for example in the middle of the Beacons National park and having a beer in your motorhome. I woiuld have thought this would be drink driving. Many wild campers have their own theory on this matter. What is the black and white answer. thank you for reading .

solarman
08-04-2011, 01:21
there probably won't be a b&w answer,only common sense and common sense isn't that common.Just remove keys from ignition and don't keep them on yourself,close all curtains or make it look like you don't intend to drive for the night,more than likely you'll not be challenged,
Solarman.

mandrake
08-04-2011, 01:32
there are a couple of threads running at the moment about this and a multitude of others laying dormant somewhare , best idea is if you want a drink then do so ,if you dont think it is right then leave it alone after all nothing in life is black and white

snowbirds
08-04-2011, 11:43
What is the law with regaurds to parking up for example in the middle of the Beacons National park and having a beer in your motorhome. I woiuld have thought this would be drink driving. Many wild campers have their own theory on this matter. What is the black and white answer. thank you for reading .

Hi Matt

Best thing to do 1, park van 2, turn off & remove keys 3, hand keys to wife 4, open beer.

cheers snowbirds.

dunk
08-04-2011, 14:55
Hi Matt

Best thing to do 1, park van 2, turn off & remove keys 3, hand keys to wife 4, open beer.

cheers snowbirds.

sounds good to me :o:o:o:o

dunk

barryd
08-04-2011, 16:34
Yes its been done to death on here and several forums. Dont worry about it you wont get done. Just watch out in the morning and dont leave until lunchtime if you have had a skinful.

kevinparrott
08-04-2011, 19:28
Hi friend,
I briefly done a law module, snoozed my way through most of it, but so long as the vehicle is parked, and the keys are not on your person, you should be right as rain. put them in a cupboard out the way, so if you get questioned, they are well out the way, and they cannot possible challenge you on it. you can even invite the rozzers in while you fetch the keys, so they can see with their own eyes.

My experience with most rural police is that they are a lot nicer than town cops. We were sleeping in the car once in Oban, Scotland ( at Ganavan sands if anyone knows the area) and the police knocked on the window and asked what we were doing. Of course i said I was sleeping, laughed and said we couldnt get a hotel for the night so had to rough it in my TINY peugeot, with 2 dogs. and no duvet. they laughed and went on their way.

matthew123
08-04-2011, 19:55
You see people having a jolly and all the best to them. I just think if that was me and a jobsworth was on duty what is the outcome. you have a big day on the hills, earned a beer and cannot quite relax. Thaks for everyones responses. The sun is out have a nice weekend.

barnybg
11-04-2011, 07:25
I think it all depends on who's on duty,what area your at,and the police attitude,your age and the vehicle your in....
As years ago,at least,if you have the 'keys' on your person or in the vehicle,then you are still 'drunk in charge of a vehicle' ,different if you have left them with a pub landlord or another vehicle who ocupants have not been drinking,because even 'hiding ' keys outside vehicle etc,only means that you know where they are,and that you 'could' after a few more ' decide' to drive away (never could work that one out,as if they are charging you,before the fact,incase you do ? )
If your in the middle of nowhere,not making a fuss or noise,then i would think you'll be left alone,if in a carpark or somewhere more obvious,then they could be t***s.

Airecraft
11-04-2011, 09:10
If you are drunk in charge of a vehicle the onus is on you to prove that there was no likelihood of you driving, but see this:
Drunk 'in charge' law is overturned - Crime, UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/drunk-in-charge-law-is-overturned-598781.html)
Technically, having access to the keys, whether they are on your person or not, means you are in charge but the more normally applied standard is given here:
Drunk in Charge of a Motor Vehicle l Drink Driving l Excess Alcohol l Motoring Law Offences l Road Traffic Solicitors in England and Wales - Drunk in Charge (http://www.motoringlawdefence.com/drunkincharge.html)

Firefox
11-04-2011, 10:29
Whether you hand the keys to anyone else or not, or hide them etc is irrelevant.

You have to prove you have no intention of driving until fit to do so. If the vehicle is in no state to drive with tables out, beds up and you have food/facilities to hang around long enough then the legal consensus is that this is adequate defence, and there have been test cases.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS