PDA

View Full Version : A75 Dumfries to Stranraer & more

Henrym
18-04-2011, 00:00
Heading for an early morning ferry from Stranraer, we took the non-scenic route along the A75, aiming for the listed overnight spot at Stairhaven, NX 207538, S of Glenluce. On the map it was promising, looking to have a good view, but unfortunately there is a 'No overnight parking' sign, which is difficult to ignore when there are lots of houses around; it only takes one local to come round banging on the door at midnight to ruin the stay! However, we did find a good opening, 30 x 30 m next to a field gate at NX 199582, 1.5 km back up the coast towards the A75. So we didn't get to check the location listed in Stranraer itself...

On the A75 we spotted a number of good lay-bys for evening/late-night stops after Dumfries (mostly accessible from either direction). Best eastbound was an extensive lay-by just west of Crocketford at the SW end of Auchenreoch Loch NX 815711 (with nearby but smaller laybys, to the NE, closer to a PH!) Westbound, the location at Skyreburn, lay-by on sea front at NX 576545 compares well with Creetown (in database). There are quite a few others, with a verge (1m to 20 m wide) to the main road, once you are west of Dumfries!

If you are not in a hurry, the quieter Crocketford-New Galloway-Newton Stewart road has plenty of parking opportunities, especially in the forested sections. There are also various spots on the A713 on the west bank of Earlstoun Loch (N of NX 612824), and a large lay-by at NX 642778, opposite New Galloway.

East and south of Dumfries has not been so good. After encountering No Overnight Parking signs at the picnic site near Caerlaverock Castle, we stopped in a small spot on Shore Road (the road following the left bank of the Nith from Dumfries). A friendly local hooted his horn in greeting every time he passed us, quite a few times in the night!!

Canalsman
18-04-2011, 18:49
Heading for an early morning ferry from Stranraer, we took the non-scenic route along the A75, aiming for the listed overnight spot at Stairhaven, NX 207538, S of Glenluce. On the map it was promising, looking to have a good view, but unfortunately there is a 'No overnight parking' sign, which is difficult to ignore when there are lots of houses around; it only takes one local to come round banging on the door at midnight to ruin the stay! However, we did find a good opening, 30 x 30 m next to a field gate at NX 199582, 1.5 km back up the coast towards the A75.

Thanks for these updates ... I have removed the Stairhaven entry, and added others noted by you.

However I think the NX 199582 co-ordinates are incorrect ... could you please check them?

Regards

Chris

Henrym
19-04-2011, 22:19
However I think the NX 199582 co-ordinates are incorrect ... could you please check them?

Regards

Chris

Sorry! When I set off, I thought my map reading had gone a bit wrong, but have only just got a 3-signal. Location from my GPS is NX 202542.

Canalsman
19-04-2011, 23:11
Sorry! When I set off, I thought my map reading had gone a bit wrong, but have only just got a 3-signal. Location from my GPS is NX 202542.

Thanks for the info - I've added it to the database.

Regards

Chris

Dezi
20-04-2011, 10:01
Hi, when we did this run a few years ago we parked one night at the end of the cul-de-sac next to sweetheart’s abbey, just south of Dumfries.
The following night we parked in the town square of Gatehouse-of-Fleet. The landlord of the ship inn (Over a 100 different blends of whisky served) said it would be fine, & it was.

Dezi

Ste
27-04-2011, 13:15
One of my mountain biking haunts.
(54.952577,-4.253519 on gm) is at Big Water of Fleet Viaduct and is as far as the road goes. Plus there's a scottish Nature Reserve Carpark en route and there's quite a few little areas on the quiet B796 between Gatehouse of Fleet & Creetown. Its narrow, but logging trucks use it for access so its easily passable in a MH.
Also check out the Gatehouse of Fleet to Lauriston Road & Lauriston Forest (54.961897,-4.092686)
Both areas are often overlooked as most head for Clatteringshaws Res & Loch Ken or bypass it enroute to Stranraer & NI

Bit of bad news though, in recent years the western side of Loch Doon was a popular area for MH & cvans, because of stuff being abandoned (including several caravans) its now 'no overnighting' and has been 'bouldered' along its length to the forest road over to glentrool

Canalsman
27-04-2011, 19:58
Thanks again - useful additions :)

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS