PDA

View Full Version : Help Reqd PLEASE re Wild Camping Spots in Bowness (Windimere) or anywhere close by.

SkegnessSue
20-04-2011, 21:14
Hi,

We are currently staying on a little CL in Haverigg and tomorrow we want to move nearer to Bowness on Windemere. However, we have rung around several CL's & CS's (don't like big sites) and everywhere is booked up due to the school/Easter holidays etc. We prefer to wildcamp if we can but we could do with some help/suggestions as to where to find a nice, peaceful spot to overnight in and preferably one located in a waterside location. We prefer to be well away from local residents so as to avoid any problems and if anyone knows of any such spot then please, please let me know.

By the way we are touring around with my brother & his wife, so we need a spot that can accommodate 2 motorhomes.

Thanks in advance.

Sue

Wild Sprinter
20-04-2011, 22:33
Probably might of found somewhere by now - but know (remembering from trip last year) of a small car park south of Bowness on the A592. Just past the Windermere Lake Cruises sign. Hope it helps. It has day-and-display but end of July going into August nobody check us. Good Luck:wave:

maingate
20-04-2011, 22:38
Hi Sue,

We have just got back from a tour around the Cumbrian coast, no sites whatsoever. :cool:

Try Walney Island (north end). Lovely beach, dunes and nature reserve. A caravanner has been living there for about 2 years, so drive past him until you come to a 5 bar gate on the right and stop there. You can go a bit further but our van is a bit too big to get much further.

There is also a pretty good C&CC THS at Arnside until May 5th (which we used). Quiet area but good dog walks and human walks. The Ship Inn is a good country pub at Sandside and you can do an overnight in the (big) car park.

barryd
20-04-2011, 22:51
Have you tried the Aire at Ambleside?

think its a tenner a night. 07708 310986

I know of a few wild spots in the north lakes but nothing much around Windermere. Might be worth trying a few pubs with big car parks maybe out of town or just head to Crummock Water, Buttermere, Keswick or Bassenthwaite area where you wont have a problem.

Canalsman
20-04-2011, 23:40
Hi,

We are currently staying on a little CL in Haverigg and tomorrow we want to move nearer to Bowness on Windemere. However, we have rung around several CL's & CS's (don't like big sites) and everywhere is booked up due to the school/Easter holidays etc. We prefer to wildcamp if we can but we could do with some help/suggestions as to where to find a nice, peaceful spot to overnight in and preferably one located in a waterside location. We prefer to be well away from local residents so as to avoid any problems and if anyone knows of any such spot then please, please let me know.

By the way we are touring around with my brother & his wife, so we need a spot that can accommodate 2 motorhomes.

Thanks in advance.

Sue

Hi Sue

Try these two little gems - very close to each other and near Grasmere:

Grasmere, Lakes - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/4vwpunj)

Grasmere, Lakes - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/4ugfzju)

I think these would be perfect :)

Regards

Chris

SkegnessSue
21-04-2011, 03:55
Oh thank you so much everyone - you don't know how much I appreciate your help with this. We really did not fancy driving around tomorrow earnestly searching for somewhere suitable to stay over, when we could in fact drive to a nice secluded spot for the evening and just be relaxing and drinking in this glorious weather we are all experiencing. You have all saved us a lot of unnecessary searching so our only dilemma now is which spot to pick. :D

Any other hidden gems that anyone knows about that you think will suit us all whilst we are in the lake district area then please let me know about them as we have another 5 days before we need to return home! :( We love tranquil locations with lovely views and if there's a good pub and an interesting old historical town or village close by, then even better! We are also National Trust members so again, any suggestions re any of their locations or car parks would be welcomed too!

Thanks again and happy Easter to everyone.

Sue x

Canalsman
21-04-2011, 09:32
Hava a Happy Easter Sue :)

Have you downloaded the Wild Camping Map & POI files yet?

There are lots of spots in the Lake District area - plus the rest of England, Wales & Scotland of course ... almost 2,500 in total.

Regards

Chris

barryd
21-04-2011, 10:01
I would forget Bowness or spend a day there and move north up towards Keswick area. On the road out of Keswick north on the way to Portinscale is a dead end road where loads of coaches and motorhomes park up. 54.60461, -3.15580 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=54.60461,+-3.15580&sll=50.847471,-0.279229&sspn=0.003672,0.011512&ie=UTF8&ll=54.604389,-3.15623&spn=0.006687,0.023024&t=k&z=16&layer=c&cbll=54.604582,-3.155821&panoid=YwORgi3zoruhkae0NWWSNA&cbp=12,239.42,,0,7.85)

54.60461, -3.15580

You can walk along a path through the fields and in less than half a mile your in Keswick town centre.

If you really want to get away from it get over to Crummock Water and Buttermere. Go over the Whinlatter pass and there are quite a few lake side spots there

54.56160, -3.29632 is one of them

Further up at Buttermere village there is parking at the top of the hill on the way out of the village and if you keep going on past Buttermere as far as you can go towards the Honister pass there is a fab spot right by the stream just before you get to the 6ft6 width restrictions.

54.52267, -3.22222

Old_Arthur
21-04-2011, 14:23
hi sue all been well we should arrive near whitehaven our selfs some time to-nite:cool1: and then we are going to work our way down so look for the yorkshire tyke

p.s. any black binliners of rubbish and nukey brown bottles you spot will be that lamegate guys we have had the same problem in scarbough after he's been

maingate
21-04-2011, 15:33
hi sue all been well we should arrive near whitehaven our selfs some time to-nite:cool1: and then we are going to work our way down so look for the yorkshire tyke

p.s. any black binliners of rubbish and nukey brown bottles you spot will be that lamegate guys we have had the same problem in scarbough after he's been

Bad news Arthur, we did the Cumbrian coastline last week. You should take an extra roll of black bags with you on this trip.:dance::goodluck::lol-049:

If you want any coastal spots give me a shout.

coolasluck
21-04-2011, 20:15
Bad news Arthur,if Maingate has been there,it means its great for doggers:cry:

Red Rupert
25-07-2011, 13:50
Hi Sue

Try these two little gems - very close to each other and near Grasmere:

Grasmere, Lakes - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/4vwpunj)

Grasmere, Lakes - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/4ugfzju)

I think these would be perfect :)

Regards

Chris

My first post: I followed the links by Chris and arrived at the deserted car park up the hill from the White Moss Walks site late Friday night. Woke up Saturday morning and was delighted with the discovery of the site. 3 miles from Ambleside 300 yards up a hillside road. Well worth a stop-over. Importantly no problems or hassles at all! Thanks Chris!

Canalsman
25-07-2011, 15:37
My first post: I followed the links by Chris and arrived at the deserted car park up the hill from the White Moss Walks site late Friday night. Woke up Saturday morning and was delighted with the discovery of the site. 3 miles from Ambleside 300 yards up a hillside road. Well worth a stop-over. Importantly no problems or hassles at all! Thanks Chris!

You're very welcome :)

You might like to know that if you sign up as a full member, you can download the POI database files with over 3,000 places throughout England, Wales and Scotland.

This data can be used online with Google Earth, and offline with AutoRoute and most makes of satnav.

Regards

Chris

elainekirk
18-03-2012, 22:04
We stayed at the spot marked as Grasmere 1 for two nights last week and it is a great place lovely to walk around and very quiet . It is a carparking area on the hillside with awesome views. Editing to add thY although we stayed two nights we did leave during the daytime coming back at nighttime.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS