PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations please!

MissPluto
21-04-2011, 09:24
Can anyone recommend decent places to camp in Ayrshire area or even further afield, preferably near a beach, new to this so any tips would be great :)

Marcs
21-04-2011, 18:54
what in? I know somewhere that'd fit the bill but its got a height restiction - I can squeeze through it in my 2m high Delica.

MissPluto
28-04-2011, 18:17
Hey sorry about the delay ! Just an Astra?

Marcs
28-04-2011, 18:31
Portencross, in between Largs and Ardrossan, good quiet carpark, no "no overnight parking" signs, im sure if you keep to the opposite side of the castle and houses (i.e. nearer the beach) you'll be fine - enjoy :)

Ste
28-04-2011, 18:42
Croy Brae Beach (55.376279,-4.767664 on gm). No overnighting on beach car park, but there's no signs on the overflow (i think?)
Or you could try on the front at Maidens, i've no info on if its allowed but has head limit, and WC, & restaurant/pub
Dunure Harbour looks nice too, but its a while since I've been there

Ste
28-04-2011, 19:38
Further south, has anyone stayed at the Varyag Memorial @ lendelfoot? Right on the beach! only ever driven past it, never stopped

toxicturtle
12-07-2011, 09:31
Tis a cool memorial, details the history of the russian cruiser Varyag which foundered under tow off the coast. The brief history is it was asked to surrender by the japenese as it was outgunned and numbered, 12 to 1 but literally went down fighting sinking a few of them before being scuttled. It was raised and was celebrated by the soviet union as a hero before finally being sold for scrap! coincidently its modern namesake is or was the new chinese aircraft carrier which they bought from one of the old USSR states. As its no a wargrave memorial/cenotaph its no really goin to be seen as disrespectful etc. Tis a nice wee spot

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS