PDA

View Full Version : marazion warning

wanderingwill
24-04-2011, 14:35
i stoped over night one night only along the sea wall at marazion ..there were 5 vans there that night ..early on sunday morning we all had a tyre slashed with a knive .. bill

Pollik
24-04-2011, 15:47
Ouch!

I hope you all reported it to the police - that is criminal damage. Even if they don't bother looking for the culprit, if enough people report it, they will have to think about doing something about it.

Polly

wanderingwill
24-04-2011, 16:25
yes i reported it they didnt seem very interested.. only one tyre company open on sunday ..to my suprise they had a choice of 8 ply van tyres..made me think its a regular occurance ..maybe my paranoia..oh they were also very exspensive ..
bill

rugbyken
16-01-2012, 17:07
same as mevagissy the car park on the right behind the boat club is private charged £3 overnight when we were there couple of years ag, easy walk over to mount st michael stayed till after lunch about 2 didn't charge any extra

kimbowbill
16-01-2012, 17:34
Thats horrible, sorry to hear that, some people disgust me, pointless, i believe in Karma tho, what goes around, comes around,

scampa
16-01-2012, 19:21
My sympathies to Wanderingwill, but I just wondered if anyone else has had problems in this area since the original posting?

yes i reported it they didnt seem very interested.. only one tyre company open on sunday ..to my suprise they had a choice of 8 ply van tyres..made me think its a regular occurance ..maybe my paranoia..oh they were also very exspensive ..bill

Although it's unlikely to be the case, my suspicious mind would be wondering if the culprits were receiving a commission from the tyre company?!!

i believe in Karma tho, what goes around, comes around,

When you apply karma to van tyres, surely what goes around, goes around and around and around?? :lol-049:

Viktor
16-01-2012, 23:04
Didn't know where this was lol....it's Cornwall....anyway if the local police were anyway keen to stop this it wouldn't be difficult to stake out the area at night when there are MHs parked up and watch what goes on.

Yogihughes
17-01-2012, 09:30
UK police couldn't be seen to be doing anything like this to help motorists.

n brown
17-01-2012, 09:49
i had a terrible time in cornwall some years ago including a run in with this car park who tried to charge me for all night and i got there about 8am.ended up with 3 guys in the office threatening to do me,so i left.i had stayed up by the sea wall so maybe thats their way of stopping it! as a' ****in grockle' i left the area not long after and swore never to return

channa
17-01-2012, 18:33
Didn't know where this was lol....it's Cornwall....anyway if the local police were anyway keen to stop this it wouldn't be difficult to stake out the area at night when there are MHs parked up and watch what goes on.

If Cornwall police enjoy the same lack of resources as South Yorkshire, ....I guess no lmore than a handful of officers covering the whole county in an evening ....

I KNOW this to be true in a certain area of Doncaster and surrounding district .

Channa

Viktor
17-01-2012, 18:46
Yes...wouldn't surprise me at all.....I don't think the government really appreciate what the police and emergency services really need to do to stop criminals taking advantage of cutbacks in the economy....the emergency services should never be subject to budget cuts....in fact the opposite is true as the population increases the greater a budget required.....and then of course we let in all those criminals unchecked under the previous government!

robjk
17-01-2012, 18:49
same as mevagissy the car park on the right behind the boat club is private charged £3 overnight when we were there couple of years ag, easy walk over to mount st michael stayed till after lunch about 2 didn't charge any extra

Rugbyken are you saying that you had tyres slashed in Mevagissy. I am thinking of going there next month.

Rob

Northerner
19-01-2012, 07:33
Before just moaning about the person who did this perhaps we should be asking ourselves why it is that someone would be so moved as to come out in the dead of night and risk a criminal record should he be caught slashing tyres? And this of course opens up the whole question of parking a load of large white campervans in or just outside someone's village. All they see is five or six 'vans that may, one day, be twenty. They see us eating our meals in our 'vans and assume that we're contributing nothing to the village, which some may but others won't.

I'm in Portugal at present and I called in on an aire in a village just over the border from Spain. Regrettably, it was one of those crowded aires with another 'van four or five feet on either side and I'd rather pay for a nice spacious pitch on a site or wild camp somewhere remote than suffer that.

However, as we drove on I saw a large public car park that had a few motorhomes on it. One of the owners told me that overnight parking was tolerated as long as it didn't get out of hand and, as there were only half a dozen 'vans on a massive car park, we decided to stay the night.

At seven o'clock a German in a largish 'van pulled out a generator and turned it on. It wasn't a nice sleek, modern and relatively quiet Honda, but a noisy cheepo version. When I wandered over I could see them watching TV and presume that he only needed a generator because he was too tight to invest in a 12v TV and and inverter for his (I presumed) German equivalent of a Sky digi box.

Other people from the 'vans were gathering and chatting and were obviously displeased by this but no one did anything. After an hour I'd had enough and went to have a word with him. He told me in no uncertain terms that this wasn't an aire but was a car and lorry park and that he would be running his generator until ten o'clock.

That night I was very tempted to go out and stick a knife in a couple of his tyres and fantasised about how he would wake up and be stuck there for days as he tried to get replacements. But I didn't of course because that would have made me as bad as him and I didn't fancy ending up in a Portuguese prison should I be spotted. I wouldn't have been surprised though if a local had stabbed his tyres as the noise of the generator would have disturbed many people in the surrounding houses.

I mention this to simply explain that sometimes people get wound up and unlike me, they're not quite so restrained and, every time we invade someones village, we run the risk of upsetting the more unreasonable ones.

I would totally discount the theory of a tyre dealer actually employing someone to do this. Apart from being insulting and accusing someone without any proof, I don't think that any dealer would take the risk. If the culprit was caught the dealer has far too much to lose just for the sake of the profit on a few tyres occasionally, apart from which, if someone stabbed my tyre I'd put the spare on and worry about a new one when I got home.

Viktor
19-01-2012, 10:33
Good point....sounds like someone may have a grudge....and it certainly sounds like it isn't a one off occurrence....and....if the local police haven't the time or resources to deal with it....it will certainly happen again...

apart from which, if someone stabbed my tyre I'd put the spare on and worry about a new one when I got home.
Unfortunately I cannot carry a spare as the wheel well is used for my LPG conversion, so I'd be one of the one's having a problem if a tyre was slashed and couldn't be inflated with the 'Tyreweld' type aerosol can.

cornishlad
23-04-2012, 11:18
I live just over a mile from that location ( Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl) ) and can tell you that campervan parking at that location has been a matter of strong local concern for some years. Letters to the local papers and local council discussions. Many locals want it to be banned. The current plan is to do away with it completely and use the space as part of a cycle path. Of course I don't codone the action of the tyre slasher but it was most likely done by a very local person frustrated by the lack of action

The problem is not so much the overnight parking (such as might be done in a laybye and then moving on) but the staying on ALL DAY - or possibly several for a free holiday This spot is the ONLY free parking spot left in the whole area and it's a lovely spot too. The beach is on the other side of the wall and many folk like to stop there for a while to walk on the beach, have a look into the bird reserve, have a cigarette and read the paper, or just take in the view for a few minutes. But the campervans lined up along there - and there can be many of them in the summer, taking up most of the spaces cause many local to be furious. That includes me ! It's selfish to park there and hog this valuable facility.

fishy & Nina
23-04-2012, 11:38
I live just over a mile from that location ( Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl) ) and can tell you that campervan parking at that location has been a matter of strong local concern for some years. Letters to the local papers and local council discussions. Many locals want it to be banned. The current plan is to do away with it completely and use the space as part of a cycle path. Of course I don't codone the action of the tyre slasher but it was most likely done by a very local person frustrated by the lack of action

The problem is not so much the overnight parking (such as might be done in a laybye and then moving on) but the staying on ALL DAY - or possibly several for a free holiday This spot is the ONLY free parking spot left in the whole area and it's a lovely spot too. The beach is on the other side of the wall and many folk like to stop there for a while to walk on the beach, have a look into the bird reserve, have a cigarette and read the paper, or just take in the view for a few minutes. But the campervans lined up along there - and there can be many of them in the summer, taking up most of the spaces cause many local to be furious. That includes me ! It's selfish to park there and hog this valuable facility.

If I remember rightly, there was a motohome parked up there last year or the year before, who was there for a long time and when asked to move on the 'vanner' got stroppy, said he wouldn't move etc etc. I believe this even got on the local TV News here in Cornwall.

Tyre slashing is not to be condoned in any case, but some attitudes will, and do, upset people!

scampa
23-04-2012, 12:08

I've never been there, but it does look like a lovely spot on Google Earth. I'd expect that in such a prime tourist spot it would be usual to have so many parking bays occupied by non-locals, whether in motorhomes or cars, so I can partly understand the frustration of those living nearby (not to mention the nearby camp sites).

I don't agree with wildcampers staying too long, or abusing any particular spot, but I don't think anyone here can condone any tyre-slashing or similar damage. (And rightly or wrongly, I'm sure that some motorhome owners would decide to apply their own "sense of justice" in these circumstances).

Maybe you could suggest some alternative local spots to stay overnight, possibly a little inland, to try and alleviate the problem?

donkey too
23-04-2012, 12:33
Cant undertand why the local council doesn't act. They only have to put a time limit on the parking and that can be agreed and passed in committee. Problem solved.

cornishlad
23-04-2012, 15:08
Cant undertand why the local council doesn't act. They only have to put a time limit on the parking and that can be agreed and passed in committee. Problem solved.

I dn't realise my OP would spark such a rash of replies ! I believe the local council have considered "no overnight parking" but reckon there's a problem of enforcement. I agree with it thou and "max stay 2 hours as well. I mentioned the current proposal to add a section of cycle path to complete a section of the existing cycle way and suspect that is not so much for the benefit of the cyclists, but to do away with the "problem"

The link I put in my first post didn't work so I'll mention that it's between the Mount's Bay caravan Park and Jordan's Cafe.

Someone wrote assuming there are bays. Well there arn't and that's another problem. Motorhomers seem to like their privacy so usualy park with three quarters of a car space between making poor use of what space there is.

In my first post I made it sound like I wrote on behalf of the locals only. That's not the case at all. I'm sure many holiday makers passing along that road get a "wow" moment as they pass by and would love to pull in for a while, Campervans included, and take photos of St Michaels Mount or get a cuppa at the cafe etc etc. The cafe area car park is P&D and the next one along is £3.50 for any length of time. I wouldn't mind betting that the extra trade in the village and the cafe would more than make up for the small amount of trade generated by well stocked van owners. Not to mention how the enjoyment of that spot could be shared more equitablly.

There are two sheltered laybyes 300 m SE of the junction between the A394 and the B3280 you might use instead..Marazion 1 mile..

edit: and to add to the contraversy there have been reports of Mcaravanners chucking their waste water over the wall and rubbish into the bird reserve on the other side of the road..Noone on this forum of course....

vwalan
23-04-2012, 16:52
think its fair to say that most people down here would prefer it if the tourist just got to the border .tipped all spare cash and credit cards into a barrow then turned round and went back home.
the population grows twenty times in summer . water is the highest price in the country . as are most things . unfortunately the prices go up every year for the tourist but doesnt go down for the locals . so tourists arent the wanted item they used to be .
but should you want to come down here and pay through the nose for anything you will be welcome .
not my views but its slowly becoming the views of many locals .
bring back the high way robbers etc .

jamesmarshall
23-04-2012, 17:41
When you apply karma to van tyres, surely what goes around, goes around and around and around?? :lol-049:[/QUOTE]

Now that tickled me

swishy
29-04-2012, 20:45
We stayed at Marazion early April 2012. I saw several motorhomes/camper vans in the long roadside layby and a few in the carpark which appears to allow overnight stays for a fee (£6.40 I think). We were a bit crusty after a few days overnighting near St Just so we opted for a campsite. Dove Meadows I think it was called, less than 5 mins drive from there and set us back a tenner. Nice site! It beats £6.40 in the carpark if you can't get in beside the road. I spoke to someone who did overnight and heard nothing of any tyre slashing. Hopefully that was a one off.

markymo
20-06-2012, 19:52
A 24 hour ticket for Marazion car park is £5.70 we have parked here at least 10 times a year for 2 nights or more for the last 5 years had no trouble or problems with anyone the pull in on the road next to the car park is free for now but there are plans to turn it into a cycle lane

John Thompson
21-06-2012, 08:58
A 24 hour ticket for Marazion car park is £5.70 we have parked here at least 10 times a year for 2 nights or more for the last 5 years had no trouble or problems with anyone the pull in on the road next to the car park is free for now but there are plans to turn it into a cycle lane

Long Rock car park near Marazion is £1 for 24 hours. We stayed 2 nights in mid May this year. The trains can be a bit noisy as they sound their horns for the level crossing, but they dont run all night. We saw the rowing boat from St Michael's Mount practicing for the Jubille pagent on the Thames.

John

markymo
23-06-2012, 21:04
Long Rock car park near Marazion is £1 for 24 hours. We stayed 2 nights in mid May this year. The trains can be a bit noisy as they sound their horns for the level crossing, but they dont run all night. We saw the rowing boat from St Michael's Mount practicing for the Jubille pagent on the Thames.

John

Yes John very good call we Have stayed here before but was along time ago the trains can be a bit noisy as there is a train yard behind the car park and they do work at night
we stayed there again on the 21.6.12 and the noise was not a problem and the beach in front of the car park is dog friendly something we had forgot so thanks again John

reg
24-06-2012, 08:05
So

John Thompson
24-06-2012, 08:41
Sounds like ANGOF have been out playing their stupid tricks again.
It's not just grockles who suffer the small minded attitudes, I've had the idiots giving me grief, despite being born and bred Cornish, just because I drive unusual vehicles.
Unfortunately there is a very "locals only" attitude in Cornwall. Some of which is understandable i.e townies buying up all the properties in villages, pricing out the local families (I'm one of them).
However many forget that tourism is THE industry in Cornwall and without it the place would be more like West Penwith suffering from worse poverty than much of the World.
Cornwall: A land of haves, and have nots - This Britain - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/cornwall-a-land-of-haves-and-have-nots-878274.html)

p.s.I'm not an Independent reader,or any paper for that matter, but the link illustrates the problem better than I can.

Still feel saddened by the misplaced need to damage property though.
As for tyre prices being expensive, that's Cornwall I'm afraid, everything is more expensive and I've yet to find out why, because the wages certainly don't warrant the cost of living down there.

This was a revisited post dated April 2011. The damage ifo is not a current thing. I used Long Rock in May this year without any problems.

John

reg
24-06-2012, 08:47
o

Roadagent
24-04-2013, 18:18
This topic has probably cropped up elsewhere, so apologies in advance if youíre already aware.

It has finally come to pass. The popular sea wall/layby at Marazion has been busy with building activity this week, morphing into a cycletrack/footpath, and is therefore no longer available for free parking.
This action has been a while in coming but I canít say Iím surprised. The locals have had enough of the abuse and waste from motorhomes etc. I travel Cornwall a lot and have never stopped in the layby myself, due to tyre slashers and boy racers with rocks late into the night. The biggest complaint from locals was concerned with certain individuals being parked there for two weeks free holiday on a regular basis, plus the dumping of rubbish and toilet waste onto the beach. I think this has been reported elsewhere on the forum. I have seen some of these activities and can confirm their accuracy.
Now Iím not suggesting anyone on here would be inclined towards said activity but it does illustrate how a few can ruin things for the many by their actions. At the end of the day, wildcampers are ambassadors for our way of life and worth bearing in mind.
Happy trails.

POI Admin
24-04-2013, 18:31
Thanks for the update ...

witzend
24-04-2013, 19:52
Who was wandering will was it just a scare by a local campsite to stop roadside parking

Randonneur
24-04-2013, 20:22
I seem to remember a couple of years ago that there was a TV and newspaper report of a guy who stayed on the sea wall at marazion for two weeks every year. I believe he treated it as his annual holiday and was oblivious to any complaints or anger by the locals.

The reporter asked him if he would ever use a campsite and he said, " I'll keep coming here till they close it off, then I'll find somewhere else to stay for free. I don't care about anybody else as long as I get my holiday. "

What can you do with an idiot like that??

It's no wonder we're finding it harder and harder to find stopovers in seaside locations!

n8rbos
24-04-2013, 21:39
As an individual if i lived on a sea front and constantly had to endure motorhomes/campers blocking my views i would'nt be best pleased, don't forget YOU may be there for one night only but what about the other hundreds there for one night each throughout the year?

As a wilder, we don't stop on seafronts unless they are quiet out the way ones, where we won't pee the locals off, if we want to see a popular seafront ,we park overnight in a layby/ ind. estate then go into the town next day then repeat if we stay there.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS