PDA

View Full Version : TV in France

Tbear
25-04-2011, 12:33
Hi All,

Are there English speaking TV channels in France or other western European countries or is it down to listening to the go old BBC World Service and getting out the sat dish.

Richard

jann
25-04-2011, 13:37
We normally listen to Radio 4.We can get good reception in most of France, no luck once we cross into Spain or Germany.

Tbear
25-04-2011, 14:42
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply. We often listen to Radio 4 on our travels in this country so it will be nice comfort blanket on our first trip abroad in the van.

Richard

Bondy1
25-04-2011, 18:56
Hi im having the same problem im off to Le Mans in june for the 24 hr race and have purchased a satelite dish and kit to take over there but need to know off someone on here what reciever i will need to take so i can get sky but mainly eurosport uk so i can keep up with the race whilst away from the track.
Thanks in advance
Barry

Byronic
25-04-2011, 19:07
In Spain ( certainly on the Costas) the Digital TV Channel NITRO broadcasts much of the time in English, mainly American programmes.
If you are in Gibraltar or very near by in Spain you can get BFPS 1 & 2 (British Forces Radio) broadcasting part of the day BBC 4 & 5. Gib has very limited English TV service.

Tony Lee
25-04-2011, 19:27
Might need the dish. Astra 2 seems to have the most English channels

bill scouse
25-04-2011, 20:27
It is also possible to receive radio 4 in Portugal

lebesset
25-04-2011, 20:47
Hi im having the same problem im off to Le Mans in june for the 24 hr race and have purchased a satelite dish and kit to take over there but need to know off someone on here what reciever i will need to take so i can get sky but mainly eurosport uk so i can keep up with the race whilst away from the track.
Thanks in advance
Barry

uk eurosport is an encrypted channel on the sky platform

therefore you will need one of sky's boxes with the appropriate subscription and card

Byronic
25-04-2011, 21:55
It is also possible to receive radio 4 in Portugal

On the Algarve it is possible to get BBC 4 on 198 Long Wave but not guaranteed, just depends on weather, time of day, elevation, etc it's always worth a try.
Failng radio there's always internet BBC 4.

Tbear
26-04-2011, 15:08
Hi All

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will have to leave the TV at home. No soaps, what a shame:lol-049: Radio 4 it is then

Richard

Nosha
26-04-2011, 17:58
I use a 'house' dish (15) fitted on the bottom half of a portable rotary clothes line (7.50) and an old Amstrad Sky box (25) and no card. So I can get all radio stations and most free stuff except Ch5 all for 47.50 plus a 3.50 compass and a 20 sat finder.

So at present can only use it on hook-up, however Maplins has a 12v box for 40 which is the SAME box that Maxview sell for 102!!!!!!!

Take an FM radio with you to Le Mans as there's Radio Le Mans giving 24 hr commentary, we had Eurosport on the old analogue sat systems, but not now it's digital - I think it's on Hotbird, but again it may still be encrypted!?!

Bondy1
26-04-2011, 19:09
uk eurosport is an encrypted channel on the sky platform

therefore you will need one of sky's boxes with the appropriate subscription and card

Thanks for that I have got a sky box with the card as im already a sky subscriber just hoping that the dish pick's up sky that far down.

lebesset
26-04-2011, 21:00
Thanks for that I have got a sky box with the card as im already a sky subscriber just hoping that the dish pick's up sky that far down.

45cm dish will probably do it ok

Nosha
26-05-2011, 18:51
Le Mans and a house dish FINE! Ours worked in the Alsace region OK, off to Bordeaux next week, then on to Biarritz - that could be a struggle but I'll report back on my return!

We camped in Maison Blanc twice, get there early and there's free hook-up in the bottom right corner!!!

fofeg101
26-05-2011, 19:23
Hi All

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will have to leave the TV at home. No soaps, what a shame:lol-049: Radio 4 it is then

Richard
No Soaps...what about the Archers? ;) Seriously, up until 10 years ago I use to cycle camp around France and Radio 4 on my little Sony radio was brilliant, there's far more interesting programmes on Radio 4 than one would expect, we're just too TV orientated now.

vwalan
26-05-2011, 19:31
my mate bob as a digital telly and an outside diggi ariel he sets his telly to default english and gets lots of programs in english. seems films and some prograsms are in several languages .he watches all sorts in english. i like byronics omni directional ariel think he as the best idea .

fairytooth
27-05-2011, 09:56
A satellite dish pointing at Astra 2 connected to any old freesat box will work.

The trick is having a setup which ensures you can find the satellite and have the dish rigged up to stay fixed on it. There are a few websites which provide tips on getting the compass bearing and angle correct. The 'foot print' of Astra 2 which has an extensive list of UK channels on freesat is receivable on a fairly small dish in Northern France. The further south you go, the bigger the dish needs to be generally to get a decent signal for UK based TV and radio stations.

Although I have a high tech solution these days, I have succeeded in earlier years with a 60cm dish manually set up and connected to a cheap Comag box, getting HD programmes (e.g. BBC HD, BBC1 HD, ITV HD) after a bit of messing around with the compass.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS