PDA

View Full Version : which part of wales to visit?

adriacoral
02-05-2011, 22:09
Hi Folks
We did 2 weeks on west coast of Scotland round Easter time and thought we would do Wales at half term : thus avoiding the midges! Before I start trawling the poi's I wondered if anyone can point us in a general area? We have done Angelsey and Dinas Dinlle. We have a 10 year old to occupy and a springer to walk so somewhere near beach/lake/walks/cyclepaths......not arcades etc. We are coming from Lancashire and only have a week so not too far south. Any suggestions?
Thanks

solarman
03-05-2011, 14:07
i have just been on the lleyn peniinsula as far as Aberdaron mostly around the coast and it is very quiet ,nice scenery especially around far end(near Hell's Mouth and Whistling Sands)and it's still north wales anywhere after Dinas Dinlle if that helps,
Solarman.
PS I would have suggested Shell Island as that is a brilliant place but it is not reccomended at the busiest times.

Old_Arthur
03-05-2011, 14:38
i would go in at borth and work down steady very steady we love the west coast of wales

baileythebusdog
03-05-2011, 16:39
We went to blackrock sands which is close to Porthmadog
, plenty of beach to keep the kids and dog amused !!

Stuart Tracy and Bob
03-05-2011, 16:53
Hi Folks
We did 2 weeks on west coast of Scotland round Easter time and thought we would do Wales at half term : thus avoiding the midges! Before I start trawling the poi's I wondered if anyone can point us in a general area? We have done Angelsey and Dinas Dinlle. We have a 10 year old to occupy and a springer to walk so somewhere near beach/lake/walks/cyclepaths......not arcades etc. We are coming from Lancashire and only have a week so not too far south. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Hi,

We always enjoy mid Wales, entering through Shrewsbury ( also really lovely, and well worth at least a day trip !), and heading to Welshpool, Newtown and ending up in lovely Aberystwyth. All of the towns on the way through are pleasant and worth a look round. There are also some nice smaller towns just near by like Llanidloes for example. If you end up in Aberystwyth though I don't think you'd be disappionted because there is plenty of lovely coast down that way and the town itself is really pleasant and bustling.

Regards, Stuart.

bob72
03-05-2011, 19:13
Well being from South Wales I would have to recommend The Gower Peninsula. It really is a fantastic area. I particularly like a small village on the coast called Port Eynon. Port Eynon. The village of Port Eynon, The Gower Peninsula, South Wales (http://www.the-gower.com/villages/Porteynon/porteynon.htm)

I would also very much recommend driving around the 'Elan Valley' which has a very interesting history and is a very spectacular place to visit. Elan Valley (http://www.elanvalley.org.uk/)

UFO
03-05-2011, 19:26
Just back from the St Davids area (maybe too far south for you) stayed 2 nights at CR Abereiddy (Pembrokeshire) - the best wild site we have stayed at so far. Good beach, large level parking area, no restrictions, toilet block with water, coastal walks, sea fishing, tombstoneing (jumping off cliffs into the Blue Lagoon), a lot of people coasteering with local providers, industrial archeology.

bob72
03-05-2011, 19:35
Just back from the St Davids area (maybe too far south for you) stayed 2 nights at CR Abereiddy (Pembrokeshire) - the best wild site we have stayed at so far. Good beach, large level parking area, no restrictions, toilet block with water, coastal walks, sea fishing, tombstoneing (jumping off cliffs into the Blue Lagoon), a lot of people coasteering with local providers, industrial archeology.

Hi sorry to go off topic but is that a Ducato/Boxer van in your avatar? If so is it a self build or factory conversion? We are having ours done at the moment but were unable to find many conversions that we could get good pictures of the interiors!

robjk
03-05-2011, 19:37
South wales has great places t go as before Port Eynon is great (avoid camp sites there) Swansea and the Gower fantastic but I am a bit bias. We are in Llampeter at the moment plenty of walks and scenery.

All the best
Rob

wivvys dad
03-05-2011, 20:51
Mid-Wales > Rhayader and the Elan Valley, including the Red Kite feeding station at Gigrin Farm, although their campsite is very basic and pricey for what it is.

bob72
03-05-2011, 21:27
Mid-Wales > Rhayader and the Elan Valley, including the Red Kite feeding station at Gigrin Farm, although their campsite is very basic and pricey for what it is.

We also visited the Red Kite feeding station and it is very cool.

mochras
04-05-2011, 08:43
Coming in from Preston I would suggest cutting straight across to Caernarvon and working down the coast through Snowdonia onto Porthamadog, Harlech, Barmouth, Dolgellau into Aberystwyth and follow the coast round Pembrokeshire along the south to Gower.

From there you could continue to take in Porthcawl and Barry Island or my preference would be to go cross country up the A465 (Heads of the Valley road) and take in Abergavenny and maybe pick up the A49 through Shropshire and visit Ludlow, Church Stretton, Shrewsbury before going back north and home.

There is a lot of lovely towns, beaches and cracking walking around the areas mentioned above and of course lots of places to pull over for the night with or without a local pub within walking distance.

Enjoy.

mandrake
04-05-2011, 09:31
if you do come down to south wales you can stay on the car park at cold knapp in barry free , then follow the coast road from barry ,to ogmore by sea then porthcawl near where i live you can visit kenfigg nature reserve the car park there is free and some of the biggest sand dunes in europe according to form great for dog walks , then over to mumbles ,stay there on knab rock carpark overnight free then over to worms head and visit places like port eynon there are some great places to go on the gower i have also put some good overnight stop offs in the bridgend area that we have used quite often including the leasure center in bridgend town center on canalsmans poi thingy. if you do go to abergavenny you could try the carpark next to the rugby club we have stayed on there in the past with no problems and the castle is great to look round it is a nice town center to look round by the way if you do go there nip in the witherspoons nice grub and cheap also most long stay car parks in the brecon areas you are allowed to stay one night legaly ,south wales is realy nice and quite camper freindly most car parks you are ok to overnight

Bigpeetee
04-05-2011, 09:58
Start at Dyserth, see the waterfalls, climb to the top for great views, cycle the old railway track from Dyserth to Prestatyn then park at the NT carpark and walk up Graig Fawr for totally fabulous views of north wales coast Stay night in rural layby off A525 between Rhuddlan and St Asaph. If enough energy quick walk around castle!!

Go to Llandudno, walk the pier, drive around the great Orme including the detour to the top ( I can do it in my 26ft Kontiki) but a few hair pin bends to negotiate!! See the 4000yr old copper mines. then the pier is a must (free) loads of cycle paths in the area, stay at the Bryn Nr Rhos on Sea, near chippy

Conwy is a must, park behind the castle (Charge but motorhome spaces) over the Sychnant pass to wards Penmaenmawr and on towards Bangor

Penrhyn castle (NT) is totally stunning, with the gardens & adventure playground takes a large chunk of the day, evening walk along Bangor Pier takes you almost half way across the straits to Anglesey!!

On to Anglesey Visit LlanfairPG just for a photo of the longest named station then towards trearddur Bay and South stack lighthouse it's worth the ticket to walk down and across the bridge

Depends on time you have, but back towards Bangor, turn towards Caernarfon & castle, cycle along straits etc, home through Snowdonia & Betws y Coed, Stay on A5 then you have Llangollen.

Child should be tired, parents totally knackered!! if not, add in climb Snowdon or visit The Airport and Dinas Dinlle

If you want anymore info, mail me your phone number and I'll advise peter@starsound.org.uk

adriacoral
04-05-2011, 21:06
WOW!!! you guys must go at some pace, we go much slower than that. Thanks for all your great tips, lets hope we get the good weather we got at Easter.:banana:

wupert
04-05-2011, 21:48
Try Porthgain down from Fishguard

Eat at The Shed its "Brill" if you do you can

Stay overnight on the harbour for free

Hobbsy
05-05-2011, 05:53

Any chance of the coordinates of this cr? It would be appreciated!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS