PDA

View Full Version : Porth Clais - Whitesands Bay - Abereiddy - Porthgain

UFO
04-05-2011, 16:39
Just back from the St Davids area great scenery and weather

29 April - Porth Clais arrived late afternoon, NT kiosk not open and nowhere to pay the 2 fee. Next morning the NT man was there around 7:30 putting the money collection box out, had a pleasant chat with him with no mention of staying overnight or paying the fee. I put 2 in the box later. Clean toilets and water tap in adjoining boat year towards the harbour. Excellent coastal walks.

30 April & 1 May initially had a look at Whitesands Bay, sign says no overnight and 85 fine, so decided not to risk it, car park quite busy for beach and not very level. Moved onto Abereiddy wonderful beach-side, large, flat car park, no restrictions, toilet block, sea fishing, tombstoning - jumping off the cliff into the sea, into Blue Lagoon (old slate quarry), coasteering with local providers, industrial archaeology. Walked along coast path to Porthgain car park around the harbour, a good site for the pub, more industrial archaeology.

Piglets Pilot
04-05-2011, 16:48
Many thanks for that, as planning 3 weeks there june next year as this year already planned. Just last night watched Coast on tv it featured those places so had decided that was one of places to go next year. Terry

ekayak
29-05-2011, 22:58
a word of warning to people wanting to stay at abberiddy car park there is a new sign that has sprung up in the last 3 weeks talking of a 85 pound fine and reporting to the dvla the sign is hidden away from the main route in at the far left hand corner of the car park i had not noticed the sign until another camper pointed the sign out to me there has never been a problem at this car park before but this might change with this new sign

Canalsman
30-05-2011, 19:43
I don't believe the DVLA has any jurisdiction over parking - sounds like an unenforceable sign to me ...

parcmon
11-07-2011, 09:55
Hello I am one of the Rangers from the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority and I have been asked by the residents of Porthgain to pass on to all wild campers that they do not want people camping in the village. There have been up to 9 vans overnighting in the village recently some of whom have been rowdy after hours, which is particulary unwelcome. Please respect residents wishes and if you wish to camp locally please use nearby sites.
many thanks

Canalsman
11-07-2011, 11:12
Hello I am one of the Rangers from the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority and I have been asked by the residents of Porthgain to pass on to all wild campers that they do not want people camping in the village. There have been up to 9 vans overnighting in the village recently some of whom have been rowdy after hours, which is particulary unwelcome. Please respect residents wishes and if you wish to camp locally please use nearby sites.
many thanks

Might I suggest that the police be asked to intervene in cases of socially irresponsible behaviour, rather than penalising those who behave in a fit and proper fashion?

It seems a very heavy handed approach to me ...

parcmon
26-07-2011, 10:58
Thanks Canalman but camping is not allowed in the village at all. All wild camping is done on someone elses land usually without their permission. The odd one or two vans have been tolerated in the past but with more people doing this, no doubt due to sites like this, the more locals here and in other park communities are complaining. The message is please come to Pembrokeshire but use our great local sites and support our economy. If it continues here then more formal action such as the recent crackdown on wild camping in Gower will be implemented.

Canalsman
26-07-2011, 11:30
Thanks Canalman but camping is not allowed in the village at all. All wild camping is done on someone elses land usually without their permission. The odd one or two vans have been tolerated in the past but with more people doing this, no doubt due to sites like this, the more locals here and in other park communities are complaining. The message is please come to Pembrokeshire but use our great local sites and support our economy. If it continues here then more formal action such as the recent crackdown on wild camping in Gower will be implemented.

Thank you for your comments.

However you haven't answered my point about the rowdy people that are the problem, not those who are peaceful and socially responsible.

This country does a great job at trying to cure the disease with more and more punitive approaches to problem situations. It should be concentrating on curing the illness of irresponsible social behaviour, which is the point that I made originally.

You may feel that the following is somewhat pedantic, but nonetheless it is valid.

I'd suggest that people who sleep in their motorhomes overnight are not camping. If they should put anything in contact with the ground other than the four wheels of the vehicle, then perhaps they might be deemed to be so doing.

Are you saying that if I parked my MG two seater in the village, on the highway, and slept in it, that I would be camping? I'm sorry but I don't see that the type of vehicle makes any difference.

As far as I'm aware, any vehicle, so long as it is not in breach of a traffic regulation order, may be parked indefinitely on the highway, and may be slept in.

Of course privately owned land is a different matter.

I would point out to you that the village economy will suffer if motorhomes are chased away. If a motorhome owner stops at a campsite, he or she is unlikely to decamp some miles to a local pub and eat and drink there, or use the village shops/cafe etc.

They'll stock up at Tesco/Sainsburys/Asda etc and eat and drink in the vehicle.

A 'crack down' is unnecessary and very difficult and expensive to enforce.

Finally, I resent your comment '... with more people doing this, no doubt due to sites like this ...' .

This site explicitly enourages people with motorhomes to sleep overnight in their vehicles in a responsible fashion and with due respect to their environment.

Harmergeddon
24-08-2011, 09:05
There have been up to 9 vans overnighting in the village recently some of whom have been rowdy after hours, which is particulary unwelcome.

Hi there. Anit-social behaviour is unpleasant at the best of times and always un-wanted and i do sympathise with people when they suffer this. I know exactly how it feels, only a month ago we had 50 plus travellers turn up and park on the football field that is only 50 yards away form my house. Generators running all night long, screaming kids running around, people knocking on your door all the time, etc etc.
The biggest cause for anti-social behaviour is alcohol, especially after hours. These people would still be being loud and unpleasant if they were staying in a bed and breakfast. In cases like this the police should absolutely be called in to deal with them specifically. Drunk in charge of a vehicle is a serious charge.
I prefer to stay over in towns and villages as it allows you to input directly into the local economy. The money you save by not paying for a campsite can go directly to the local shops, pubs and restaurants. I dislike campsite not because of having to pay but for what they are, full of the bucket and spade briggade, rules and regulations. Stay on campsite=buy food from tescos at home before you travel=less money into local villages and restaurants.

teen
24-08-2011, 10:26

I would be happy to support the local economy, pubs and shops. If any of the villagers where asked to pay 19.00 parking( one night on the local campsite- no electric-dont need it) to use these shops and facilities I think they would go elsewhere. Which is what I will deffinately do.

rugbyken
01-09-2011, 21:44
stopped tuesday night here 30/08/11 asked at the pub was told "course you can" explained that a park ranger had told us that resident's had complained and we shouldn't stop, the girl went off came back with a guy when i explained to him he said there were only two residential properties below his car park and his car park welcomed all customers and joked that if you had to much to drink at his pub he couldn't move you on,
tried to show him the thread on my i phone but coverage was crap pub phone no is 01348831449 co-ord N 51.94792 W 5.18069, they had a superb pint of rev james as the guest beer and 5 pints and a steak later not a chance of moving on, public loos on other side of car park and and hoses either side of pub terracing, wouldn't have begrudged a fiver parking fee but willingly spent 50 over the bar for 2 meals and 10 drink's.
nice harbour but now on the pembroke coastal path so good walking in either direction.

Braveheart
10-02-2012, 15:00
many thanks

I have read your posts and would like to throw back at you exactly what you are inferring. I am in the Ambulance service I have to deal with drunk people who injure themselves, others, and can be abusive. Then, would you consider a ban anyone who has consumed alcohol, from venturing outside the confines of their home.
Some people are involved in Road Traffic Crashes. (Have a look at the amount of deaths caused by motorized vehicles :scared: ) Then lets ban ALL people from driving on public roads and only allow the use of public transport driven by trained Advanced Drivers.
Now I come to think of it, some people throw litter in my garden. Should we ban ALL pedestrians as well? :raofl:

The majority of people respect the beautiful country we live in.
I for one usually pick up some rubbish that I come across whether I am walking in the forestry where I live; SCUBA diving; tenting/ bivvying it or in my motorhome.
I would also urge all members of wildcamping to do the same, but i'd be preaching to the converted.
If SOME people are being rowdy then THEY need to be dealt with, but please ask the residents not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

mossup
15-08-2016, 20:21
I appreciate this is somewhat of a 'thread resurrection' but just to let folks know I stayed in Porthgain 2 nights ago and to confirm there are NO SIGNS against overnight parking and after asking several local businesses (including the Sloop) they are more than happy to have overnight campervans & motorhomes anywhere on the car park or indeed overlooking the Harbour.
There were a few various overnighters and no-one batted an eyelid.
Great place
Great views

Brilliant !

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS