PDA

View Full Version : Howth?

SkegnessSue
05-05-2011, 08:06
Hi,

We are planning a 4 week tour of Ireland in June and we are starting off in Dublin as we plan to suprise our youngest daughter who will be staying in the centre of Dublin on a midweek city break with her partner and some friends in order to celebrate her 25th birthday. We have heard that a nice place to stay overnight in is Howth, which is approx a 20 min train journey away from the city of Dublin. Has anyone stayed here and would you say it was safe to leave our van there whilst we caught the train into Dublin for a night out in the city? We would be returning late at night - so our main concern would be security.

I look forward to hearing any information or advice.

Sue

Old_Arthur
05-05-2011, 09:40
can't see it been a problem howth is a nice quite, posh place,you can catch the dart into connolly street station and walk up to the centre
love dublin my son has his office on grafton street,he used to live in raheny it's about half way between howth and dublin center

tuono
05-05-2011, 17:17
have stayed in howth a few times with no problems and stayed in dublin from early in the day until 11 or 12 at night, usually a lot of people and other campers about.A busy wee place espically if the weather good.Watch return times of the dart or you could end up getting a taxi back.Good luck

Dublin Mum
06-05-2011, 19:56
Haven't camped there myself, but Howth is a lovely spot- right by the sea, lots of lovely restaurants, bars, cafes, farmers markets, etc. I know a few people who have camped by the harbour, with no hassle. As far as I recall there are electricity hook ups as well. The DART station is close by and you can get to the City Centre and many other parts of Dublin quickly and cheaply. Enjoy your trip to Ireland!

SkegnessSue
07-05-2011, 03:42
Thank you everyone for your replies and I must say that from what you all say and what I've read, Howth sounds a lovely place.

I really cannot wait to visit Ireland as it's a place I've wanted to visit for many years and what better way to see it than in a motorhome?:D

Thanks again and any suggestions for must see, must do places to head for during our trip around Ireland then please pass them on.

Sue

Dublin Mum
07-05-2011, 16:08
Hi Sue,

Depending on how much time you have, definitely recommend you visit as many of the following that you can: Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Clare- the west coast of Ireland is fabulous. Also if you have any specific questions in relation to travelling around Ireland in your motorhome, the posters on the Motorhome section of Boards.ie are very helpful:

Motorhomes & Campervans - boards.ie (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=884&order=desc)

georgert1
18-05-2011, 11:24
Hi,

We are planning a 4 week tour of Ireland in June and we are starting off in Dublin as we plan to suprise our youngest daughter who will be staying in the centre of Dublin on a midweek city break with her partner and some friends in order to celebrate her 25th birthday. We have heard that a nice place to stay overnight in is Howth, which is approx a 20 min train journey away from the city of Dublin. Has anyone stayed here and would you say it was safe to leave our van there whilst we caught the train into Dublin for a night out in the city? We would be returning late at night - so our main concern would be security.

I look forward to hearing any information or advice.

Sue

Hi Sue, If you type in Google , ;; safe night in Ireland ,you will find find some very good info regarding touring in Ireland, I think it is only 10 subs as well. I know I will join when we go to Ireland. Its cost nothing to check out, good luck.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS