PDA

View Full Version : CR Westdean (East sussex)

jrs
08-05-2011, 17:34
Stayed here for one night few nights ago. Wonderful wildcamping spot. Most of parking area is under tree canopy. It's a pay and display car park and the sign says that any vehicles left in at 8pm will be locked in for the night and the gate is unlocked at 7am. I spoke to the chap locking up at 8pm, nice guy and no problem to wildcamp all night for free. Best to arrive after 7pm then. Car park is big and I was the only one there, very quiet place. 5 min walk away is the Golden Galleon pub, which also is a wildcamping spot and that looked great also.

Pixie Girl
10-05-2011, 13:19
Hi there....

I was interested in your post as we are only 10 miles from there, if that, and we pick up our van at the wknd and would love to head there. Where exactly is it? Is it in one of the car parks off Litlington Road, or the road called The Lane? I've been reading up that they do not allow overnight camping but that may be the National Trust car parks. I'm happy to be locked in overnight. Can you confirm where it is exactly please!

Thanks a lot!

AndyC
10-05-2011, 17:53
Not sure which one this is, there's the Forestry Commission car park at Friston Forest here: 50.781025,0.151657 (Friston Forest Car Park) - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=50.781025,0.151657+%28Friston+Forest+Car+Park%29&aq=&sll=50.780971,0.151649&sspn=0.001252,0.002411&ie=UTF8&ll=50.781086,0.151663&spn=0.019917,0.038581&t=h&z=15) - handy for loo emptying!
Or the Seven Sisters Country Park car park here: 50.775037,0.152938 (Seven Sisters car Park) - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=50.775037,0.152938+%28Seven+Sisters+car+Park%29&aq=&sll=50.775089,0.15295&sspn=0.00498,0.009645&ie=UTF8&ll=50.775089,0.15295&spn=0.019919,0.038581&t=h&z=15)

We were down that way a few months back, The Golden Galleon were happy for us to stay in their car park (requested to use the top one, not the main one by the riverside) but we didn't really fancy the pub so stayed up on Firle Beacon instead.

AndyC

Pixie Girl
10-05-2011, 18:05
Wow that's very helpful of you... thank you for going to so much trouble!!

We know both those places too so maybe we'll head there this Saturday as we've just found out we can pick up our van Sat am!! YAY!!

My only other question is do you know if either of those have height restrictions? I can't say we've ever paid any attention in the past as we didn't have a van then!

That's great news.... bring on the weekend!!

xxx

jrs
15-05-2011, 18:38
CR Westdean is in the POI download file, available to full members. I put the Tomtom file onto my Tomtom and it took me right there. It is at the Seven Sisters location but not the car park on the main road. When you come down the road from the Galleon pub, on the right hand bend you take the left turn to Litlington and then the car park I am talking about is immediately on the right. It's a pay and display and completely under tree cover so the google map doesn't show it. It's therefore good for wild camping as once in, you cannot be seen. I loved it!

Pixie Girl
17-05-2011, 10:02
We stayed at the next car park along from there (2nd on the right) and it was the perfect first night in our new van. We were expecting to either get locked in or asked to move at 9pm but apart from a few other people that turned up and then left soon after, we were undisturbed until morning when we woke up under the tree tops with blue sky above!

I'm really gonna love this life !!

vinedad
01-08-2011, 14:23
Following your recommendation we tried the 2nd carpark on the right and a wonderful spot it was too. Then at 9pm a young woman came to lock the gate and asked us to leave. She said she was locking up for her parents and they would never allow wilding there. So we moved down the road to the Seven Sister carpark and had two great nights.

Pixie Girl
18-08-2011, 09:00
Hey Vinedad....!

Sorry to hear you got moved on. It really is an amazing spot - almost too good to be true!

Is Severn Sisters car park the one on the main road on the bend (opposite the National Trust buidling and with the canoe club in the back of the car park)?

If so, did it have any height restrictions when you were there recently? It's hard to tell from the google map picture and it's probably an old picture anyway?

We might head there this weekend for a night and it would be nice to know we can definitely get in!

Cheers buddy

banjocat
22-08-2011, 06:51
The campsite you describe is Cuckmere Haven Nat Trust car park-paying.You might be better going a mile up the road to Crow Link car park -more secluded although I've never stayed overnight.

vinedad
29-08-2011, 16:42
Hi PixieGirl
We stayed at the carpark right next to the NT buildings. It's almost opposite the one with the canoe club, just on the right inside Litlington Road. It's more undercover than the one on the main road and well tucked away. When we woke up in the morning the warden was just starting work and he asked us (in a friendly way) to make it look like we hadn't been there all night. It's the one JRS described. No height barriers on either site.

twosugars
29-08-2011, 18:52
Hey Vinedad....!

Sorry to hear you got moved on. It really is an amazing spot - almost too good to be true!

Is Severn Sisters car park the one on the main road on the bend (opposite the National Trust buidling and with the canoe club in the back of the car park)?

If so, did it have any height restrictions when you were there recently? It's hard to tell from the google map picture and it's probably an old picture anyway?

We might head there this weekend for a night and it would be nice to know we can definitely get in!

Cheers buddy

hi pixie girl

i drive buses past the one by the waters edge several times a day, there is a height barrier but for most of the summer it has been swung open during the day as coaches full of school kids visit the nature conservancy center. not sure if it is closed at night though.

crowlink is also national trust with no sleeping in vehicles signs!

i would try the nature center car park up the littlington road myself...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS