PDA

View Full Version : free camping spots near interesting beaches ?

peanut
12-05-2011, 22:03
visiting Porlock/Lynmouth area next Bank holiday w/e and hope to explore some of the nearby coastline. Especially interested in photographing landscapes birds and wildlife generally.
Does anyone know of any interesting coves or beaches to explore between Watchet and Minehead that are accessable with wild camping sites within reasonable proximity ?

DarrenRock
13-05-2011, 16:10
dunkery beacon is fantastic for free camping,spent the night sleeping under a thunder storm in our van last week...you will fall in love with the place. from the top of dunkery beacon head down hill towards porlock and you will come to a lovely spot halfway down the hill. loads of parking,woods,views.

scottie58
13-05-2011, 18:34
I think the last reply is describing Webbers Post car park. We have also stayed there many times, great place to wake up in. There is also North Hill above Minehead. We were there May bank holiday - with another 2 vans:D First time I have seen other vans there. There is also the car park at County Gate on the porlock to Lynton road - bit too near the road for us. Brilliant area to visit - we have been going for 20 years! We also stayed on a CC CL at Wheddon Cross - basic but only 5. Short stroll to the pub.

enjoy....................

peanut
13-05-2011, 22:38
dunkery beacon is fantastic for free camping,spent the night sleeping under a thunder storm in our van last week...you will fall in love with the place. from the top of dunkery beacon head down hill towards porlock and you will come to a lovely spot halfway down the hill. loads of parking,woods,views.

thanks Darren that sounds brilliant!.. and to all the rest of you now intending to camp there at the end of this month .....shove over and give us a bit of space lol

peanut
13-05-2011, 22:44
I think the last reply is describing Webbers Post car park. We have also stayed there many times, great place to wake up in. There is also North Hill above Minehead. We were there May bank holiday - with another 2 vans:D First time I have seen other vans there. There is also the car park at County Gate on the porlock to Lynton road - bit too near the road for us. Brilliant area to visit - we have been going for 20 years! We also stayed on a CC CL at Wheddon Cross - basic but only 5. Short stroll to the pub.

enjoy....................

thanks scottie ...looks like we have got our bank holiday weekend sorted :)

carolinemoon
13-06-2011, 11:24
Hi Guys

How do you get to Dunkery Beacon? I've heard people talking about it & say it's a good place to park up, it can't be too far from us (Bridgwater)

Any help would be much appreciated - cheers!

donkey too
13-06-2011, 12:18

Half way down the hill? Isn't that the escape road?:yeahthat:
There are a couple of great little pubs in Watchet and Williton. I have in the past stopped on Watchet harbour. Don't know what its like now though. Beleive they made the place into one of these expensive marinas but you never know.

iwm
13-06-2011, 13:05
It is about 30 miles from you

Put 51.16285,-3.586749 into the Search bar of Google Maps

Cheers

IanM

Hi Guys

How do you get to Dunkery Beacon? I've heard people talking about it & say it's a good place to park up, it can't be too far from us (Bridgwater)

Any help would be much appreciated - cheers!

carolinemoon
13-06-2011, 13:11
Thanks Ian

Rubbertramp
13-06-2011, 16:40
Fantastic views over Woody Bay from this spot.....From Barnstaple head for Lynton on the A39. 3 miles after Parracombe take a left signposted Martinhoe. ( Go past the steam railway) This little layby is on a sharp left hand bend after about 2 miles. Put a donation in the cairn (toward upkeep for Martinhoe church)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS