PDA

View Full Version : 'Green' Spain recommendations please?

neilmac
13-05-2011, 10:48
We're going to be spending a few weeks mooching around Northern Spain shortly and its an area that we haven't visited in our motorhome before. Our plans are to take in Galicia and the Asturias mainly.

We have quite a few aires in mind but always like to go on recommendations so would really appreciate hearing about some good village or rural aires or even campsites as we will need to stay at a few to make use of their laundry facilities from time to time.

The village and rural settings are preferential because we will have our dog with us and want to make use of any walking opportunities.

Many thanks in advance. :)

kenspain
13-05-2011, 12:01
Sorry I cant help you with the north I live south but some one will come along to help. If you ever get down to the south please let me know as there are many lovely old villages around here and would be only to pleased to show you. Ken Safe travel:cheers:

neilmac
13-05-2011, 12:14
Sorry I cant help you with the north I live south but some one will come along to help. If you ever get down to the south please let me know as there are many lovely old villages around here and would be only to pleased to show you. Ken Safe travel:cheers:

Hi Ken, thanks for your offer - we do get into the South once or twice a year mostly en route to Portugal as we are based South of Valencia for some of each year.

Hope to meet up with you sometime :)

kenspain
13-05-2011, 12:20
Thats funny i am near Alicante and we go every year to Portugal we are leaving in June for 3 months but always go inland to a large lake.

neilmac
13-05-2011, 12:37
Thats funny i am near Alicante and we go every year to Portugal we are leaving in June for 3 months but always go inland to a large lake.

Our next visit to Portugal will be inland, we've only really been on the Algarve up until now and would like to get away from the touristy bits :).

Next time will be in the winter though.

ian81
13-05-2011, 14:50
..deja vu!!!!! with the other place

If I had known this information I would have added the following to my other post:

Porto 41.141139 -8.618062 -I think this car park may have been closed.
S Jacinto dunes 40.670097 -8.742816
Douro nr Escamaro 41.068526 -8.259331
Pinhao Douro 41.190974 -7.546888
P inland 41.190542 -6.71451
Salamanca ES 40.958951 -5.674502
Palencia 42.002737 -4.535254
Palentine Mts 42.901722 -4.73728
nr Aguila 42.787254 -4.304719
Lalastra 42.875719 -3.228196
Barria 42.916037 -2.436964
Foz de Lumbier 42.596609 -1.353859
Vielha, Spain 42.7033 0.7971

This was following the Douro inland.
....and back into France to our home near Toulouse.

bilbao camper
13-05-2011, 15:37
Do not forget the Basque Country many small villages both on coast and inland .I live in Algorta on the coast near Bilbao you can park on the sea front either in the old port or in the marina water and toilets and beach showers free.You can visit Bilbao by metro for less than 2e and if its before mid June i will walk the dog for you after that we are on our way to Greece for 3 months
Regards Bilbao Camper

ian81
13-05-2011, 16:28
very much agree with Bilbao camper. Having come across from Larau in French pyrenees we stopped at the aire at Legapizi before visiting Gurnika and then the coast to Bilbao before following the coast and then turning inland to Poteges and the Picos.

neilmac
13-05-2011, 17:22
..deja vu!!!!! with the other place

If I had known this information I would have added the following to my other post:

Thanks again Ian, very much appreciated :)

Do not forget the Basque Country many small villages both on coast and inland .I live in Algorta on the coast near Bilbao you can park on the sea front either in the old port or in the marina water and toilets and beach showers free.You can visit Bilbao by metro for less than 2e and if its before mid June i will walk the dog for you after that we are on our way to Greece for 3 months
Regards Bilbao Camper

Thank you very much Bilbao Camper!

Enjoy your trip to Greece if we don't see you before :D

vwalan
13-05-2011, 17:36
anywhere from the french border all the way round to portugal is great. best part of spain.have done just about every road by or to the sea there. lovelly country . there are so many nice places you cant just pick any for special. just drive and stop when you feel like it.

neilmac
14-05-2011, 06:43
anywhere from the french border all the way round to portugal is great. best part of spain.have done just about every road by or to the sea there. lovelly country . there are so many nice places you cant just pick any for special. just drive and stop when you feel like it.

Thanks vwalan, I'm sure we'll find loads of nice spots.

Still like to look at recommendations though :)

noodle
01-06-2011, 14:51
Hi - here is a copy of my post earlier this year - hope it helps !

Experience of our first family trip to France and Spain

we've just got back from this trip and i wanted to share some experiences, especially for other first-timers as we were. Thanks to Rickboy for the hint on using the St Nazaire to Gijon ferry, this was a golden nugget

We have a VW Reimo Transporter conversion, and went with our 9-yr old daughter. The kit we took with us was as follows:

Storage boxes from 'Really Useful Box' company - very strong (sit on) and sized to fit our limited van spaces perfectly; Reimo 'Tour Easy 2' driveaway awning - invaluable; Portaloo (avoid night-time walks for the girls).

Itinerary:

Day 1 - Eurotunnel to Calais, then down coast road, stop off at Cap de Gris Nez. First 2 nights in Camping Champ Neuf in Baie du Somme area - fantastic area (good tips on this website) with huge beaches, walks all close to camp site. Camp site has a 'natural' area which we used, but also had an indoor heated pool, playground, bouncy castle and nice bar / cafe area with Wifi. From here we visited St Valery sur Somme (mentioned a lot on this website too, which was very pretty).

Day 3 - drove to Rambouillet (4hrs) and stayed in a 'Huttopia' campsite (lots of wooden cabins, forest location. Again perfect for children with playground, bike hire, pool (natural water, but too cold for us in April). Communal dining / bar area bit like a ski chalet where you can take your own food, hang out, very comfortable. 45 min walk to forest activity centre, with tree walkway, birds of prey demonstration, deer park etc. 2 nights here. We chose off-toll route which was a mistake as the road that follows the Seine was very stop/start.

Day 5 - overnight from St Nazaire to Gijon. Left 9pm, arrived 12 noon next day. Had cabin and woke up in Spain... LD Lines do this route and it was very pleasant crossing. Mainly truck drivers and freight, but nice enough cabin and facilities. Dolphins on the way and a bit of sunbathing on deck.

Day 6 - Gijon really interesting town, with nice beaches of its own. We had booked in a 'Green' b&B for a change, in the Asturias mountains nr Infiesto (Casa D'Ayulga). Beautiful rural location with stunning views across mountains/valleys. owner keeps 2 horses and lets the children help with feeding / cleaning. 2 nights here.

Day 8 - decided to head to North coast around Llanes, recommended for beaches and find somewhere to camp. Our daughter spotted a beach called 'Playa de Poo' so we had to check that out. Arrived to find the most pretty beach I have ever seen in Europe. No campsite, but small hotel right on beach. On spur of moment I checked prices (65 Euros for 3 of us, bed only) and decided we would stay for a couple of days. This was a magical place and wonderful for kids. We cooked our own food in our camper, parked in a field next to the hotel. Look at pictures on the internet. The owners were very friendly, and the restaurant served superb (but pricey) food. So good if you want to dress up and splash out. We tried it once and the anchovies and grilled vegetables were very good. We stayed for an extra day it was so good. On last day we took a trip back towards Arriondas, up river from Ribadesella. This is a big river activity centre - we did a canoe trip down the river which was awesome. Took 3-4 hours with packed lunch stop on the river. We booked with Cangas Aventuras and i think it costs about 30-40 Euros each. Good value though and some exciting but not dangerous small rapids we enjoyed (lifejackets supplied). The same centre in Arriondas has a Go-Ape equivalent which we tried. They have a 1.2M minimum height, which meant our daughter could do it (In UK she is too young). Highly recommended ! Nice car park where you can set up for the day amongst the trees, near the river.

Days 11-13 - tried to find a good camp site along the coast around Llanes but failed. All were crammed tightly with caravans, and no god vibes. La Paz looked the best, best but didn't suit us as it was very exposed on the cliff tops and steep climbs to beach. We headed into mountains and stayed in Camping Picos Europas near Avin for 2 nights. This was excellent too with a stream and good facilities. A good base for exploring the Picos. Some stunning drives around the National Park here and plenty of places for wild camping noted...

Day 13-16 - same overnight ferry back to St Nazaire, and we stayed in Briere in Asserac for our last 3 days. I think this was our daughters favourite as we had a perfect spot next to indoor/outdoor pool, trampoline, sandy beach. The camp site was Le Moulin d'Eclis. Last day took 5 hour drive back to Le Havre and LD Lines back to Portsmouth. One memory from here was us all trying 'bulots' at a restaurant, which are large sea snails.. brief attempt from wife and daughter but they aren't cooked at all. I ate them

We were very lucky and had perfect weather. I'd recommend highly all the places we stayed. I chose the route and stop-overs based on the advice in this forum, so thanks to everyone ! OK so we didn't wild-camp but this was our first trip and the main objective was a family holiday. Of course too it wasn't the cheapest way to do it, but still very good value for us. Also, the whole trip we met almost zero english people and were forced to try our French / Spanish - we loved that challenge but maybe some wouldn't.

If anyone wants more details or info then please send me an email or post here.

Already mentioned on this forum many times, Northern Spain is fabulous. The Asturias are amazing and the beaches surprising.

I hope this helps some other first-timers with families.

Noodle

neilmac
01-06-2011, 20:45
Thanks for that Noodle. We are a couple of weeks into the trip now having found some wonderful wildcamping.

Currently at Cangas de Onis and will be exploring the Picos in the next few days.

Our travel blog is at Motorhoming with NEILMAC (http://www.motorhomingwithneilmac.blogspot.com) if anyone wants to follow our progress :)

vwalan
01-06-2011, 21:26
hi neilmac. came down through there in april this year .some great scenery . also some very narrow roads but we made it with trucks so you should be ok. have a good time . we were on the way home so didnt hang around . it was a bit cold early april. wish i was there with you . best part of spain all that along there. we come back from santander and use a vet in s.vincente de la barquera. we do follow the sea . we have to be carefull near garana the road is so narrow we cant get round the bends so have had to reverse back twice . second time was a mistake .doooohhh . have fun we do ,cheers alan.

neilmac
06-06-2011, 16:34
Just a quick note while we have some wifi....

Thanks to all who offered recommendations for our trip, we're 3 weeks into it now and have covered a lot of the Galician and Asturian coastlines.

Using Aires, following tips and searching out our own wildcamping we've stayed in some lovely places, just a few pics from some of the locations.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20110524-_MG_6779.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20110526-_MG_6872.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20110528-_MG_6917.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20110531-_MG_6959.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20110602-_MG_6974.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/20110603-_MG_6991.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l229/neilmac500/CuellaratNight.jpg

A fantastic part of Spain and very tolerant of (sensible) wildcamping, or should that really be wildparking?

We've kept up our 'Motorhoming with NEILMAC' blog where wifi has allowed and otherwise kept in touch with folks via our Kindle.

Off up into the Picos de Europa tomorrow.....

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS