PDA

View Full Version : London

fofeg101
22-05-2011, 19:22
I've posted this in the Essex forum, my favourite county (Stacy Solomon...if only I was 30 years younger!!), but it applies to the Home Counties in general. In our tent camping days, a couple of years ago, we stayed at the Lea Valley Camp site which necessitated a two bus journey into central London, via Walthamstow, which took up to one and a half hours!!. I'm just wondering if there's a wild camp location, camp site, or CL, which is more convenient, quicker, for accessing London, we have free concessionary Bus passes so that's no problem. Any other suggestions appreciated? Thanks Folks.

Pollik
23-05-2011, 13:29
I can't think of any, sorry. Most really big towns and cities, I find, are not really interested in catering for the needs of campers or caravanners...another reason to avoid them, IMHO!

Polly

fofeg101
23-05-2011, 20:06
Thanks Polly, it seems Lea Valley Camp Site is still the best option...not cheap.

bigmeeky
23-05-2011, 21:02
Hard to know what it is your after but this is a nice site in Epping Forest, its near the central line which goes straingt into town.

The Elms Caravan and Camping Park (http://www.theelmscampsite.co.uk/)

enjoy

Rob McM

vwalan
23-05-2011, 21:12
london is easy for free parking. just abideby the parking regs and you can park just about where ever you want. all big cities are easy every one is too busy to worry about you. there are hundreds of people living in vans in ther big cities .possibly more than in the real wild.

fofeg101
24-05-2011, 07:56
london is easy for free parking. just abideby the parking regs and you can park just about where ever you want. all big cities are easy every one is too busy to worry about you. there are hundreds of people living in vans in ther big cities .possibly more than in the real wild.
There's the congestion charge and next year my van becomes subject to charging for entering the low emissions zone, it appears even the Lea Valley camp site is within the low emissions zone perimeter ...I think?

fofeg101
24-05-2011, 08:06
Hard to know what it is your after but this is a nice site in Epping Forest, its near the central line which goes straingt into town.

The Elms Caravan and Camping Park (http://www.theelmscampsite.co.uk/)

enjoy

Rob McM
Basically I was looking for somewhere we could camp for a few nights with say a 45 minute one bus ride into central London. I don't mind staying on the Lea Valley site, it's the 1 hour bus ride into the city centre I don't like and the Tube isn't much quicker.

frogdude
24-05-2011, 09:57
There's a camp site in Abbey Wood (think it's a Caravan Club one) about 5 minutes from the train station, then about 25 minutes to Charing Cross.

I used to use some roads off Plumstead Common Road for overnight parking - Blendon Terrace in particular - there's a bus (or was then) to Oxford Circus from there.

vwalan
24-05-2011, 10:50
use the same pattern .if only for a few days at a time .busy street in day maybe quiet at night . stealth is the way .any village town works just keep head down no noise ,bright lights . dark curtains . free camping is easy anywhere. i forgot bout emmisions charge . but a few days is easy.recreation centers are good places . even job center carparks . govt offices . all work.

fofeg101
04-06-2011, 21:50
There's a camp site in Abbey Wood (think it's a Caravan Club one) about 5 minutes from the train station, then about 25 minutes to Charing Cross.

I used to use some roads off Plumstead Common Road for overnight parking - Blendon Terrace in particular - there's a bus (or was then) to Oxford Circus from there.
Thanks frogdude, I'm liking it, I'll give Blendon Terrace a whirl, you wouldn't know if it's within the emissions zone or anything would you?

bob72
05-06-2011, 22:23
Well theres a few roads around twickenham that I think you may be able to get away with. I saw a french 'stealth' van parked up for a few days (i'm pretty sure it was being used as a camper). May need to pay for parking in the day or move van into residential streets during the day though? Twickers is very easy to get into central, 30 minutes bus or probably the same with train.

Can maybe dig out an example of the place I mean. I have not stayed there yet myself as I have a overpriced bedsit I rent not too far away :scared:

Where I work there is usually a few campers parked outside too, contractors etc. Thinking of doing this myself to save on the bedsit rent

Matto
06-06-2011, 08:40
Just joined as a full member.

In South East London there is the Crystal Palace Caravan Club Site with direct transport to Central London. I understand it is a busy site!!!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS