PDA

View Full Version : The POI file.

Pilotewanderers
23-05-2011, 19:24
I have managed to DL the POI file and to extract it to a folder. How is it then used with my tomtom?

somewhat obviously I have not done this before and if instructions are on the siteI have not found them...lol

Pete

al n sal
23-05-2011, 21:48
if i remember rightly you have to open the file you have downloaded onto your pc, then drop the icons into the map file on your tom tom.

sure someone will be along shortly to confirm. as its been quite a while since i last did it

al

georgert1
23-05-2011, 21:55
if i remember rightly you have to open the file you have downloaded onto your pc, then drop the icons into the map file on your tom tom.

sure someone will be along shortly to confirm. as its been quite a while since i last did it

al

Go to tomtomfree.com ,scroll down till you get to tom tom etc ,.and read and digest ,I reckon print it off mate is probably easier. good luck

Canalsman
24-05-2011, 00:09
I have managed to DL the POI file and to extract it to a folder. How is it then used with my tomtom?

somewhat obviously I have not done this before and if instructions are on the siteI have not found them...lol

Pete

Full instructions for all types of satnav, and for Google Earth, can be found in the POI Support forum :)

Regards

Chris

fairytooth
28-05-2011, 10:45
Like everything - easy when you know how.

First of all connect your device to your PC (preferably just the SD card if that has your map information) and MAKE A BACK UP COPY OF ALL YOUR TOMTOM FILES ON THE COMPUTER in Windows Explorer !!!!!! This is just for safe keeping.

If you don't, you can guarantee you will make a mistake and mess up your treasured device.

When you have read the guides described above you can install the POI's. Each type of POI normally comprises of an .ov2 file and a .bmp file which together sit inside your map folder. So long as you drop these into the correct (i.e.MAP) folder in Windows Explorer you will see them next time you use your TomTom device.

N.B. Do not just copy them in to the main tomtom folder, they will not work. It is the MAP folder you need.

PM me if you want any help.

kimbowbill
28-05-2011, 23:30
I have struggled for ages to get the files on my sat nav, this is how I did it, downloaded the POI editor from the Tom Tom home page, or just type POI editor in google and the site is there, this is the information i have copied accros for you, its dead easy, my sat nav has got them all on now

Here's a quick beginners guide on how to install POI files to your TomTom Navigator or TomTom running PocketPC PDA.

Step 1.
Lets take a look at what a typical POI set might look like. They usually consist of :

an ov2 file. (e.g. speedcams.ov2) - this is the main poi file that we want to copy.

an optional bitmap image (e.g. speedcams.bmp) - not required but if there's one available we'll want to copy this file too, it'll always have the same name as the main ov2 file.

Make note where your POIS are stored as you'll be copying them across later. Keep the window open or place these POI files in easy reach on your desktop.

Step 2.
Plug the TomTom into your PC with the USB cable and power it up. If you've installed TomTom Home on your PC it may start up now, you can close and ignore TomTom Home as we won't be using it.

Open 'My Computer' and you should see a collection of drives and devices

Find the TomTom drive, it's usually labeled 'TomTom' and it may have a TomTom icon. If the TomTom doesn't show up here, check your usb cable, try restarting TomTom or try plugging it into another USB socket on the PC. Alternatively you could remove the SD card and plug it directly into an SD card reader connected to your PC, TomTom Pocket PC users can use the SD card method or conenct via Microsoft's ActiveSync.

Step 3.
Next, open the TomTom drive by double clicking on it. Active Sync users click 'Explore'.

Identify the correct the map folder, this will depend on your TomTom version and what maps you have installed. It may look like : Great_Britain-Map', 'Western_Europe-Map', 'United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland' or 'United States' etc. etc.

Step 4.
Open the window containing the POI (OV2 and or BMP files) that you want to install from step 1 above. Select the files by clicking on them and press CTRL C. Now navigate to the map folder that you located above and press CTRL V. This will copy the files to the map directory on the TomTom, alternatively you can drag and drop these files across.

Step 5.
We're now going to enable the new POI that has just been copied across. Disconnect your GPS from your computer and turn on the TomTom. Click :
Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Enable / Disable POI and scroll down and select your new POI.
Click Done and disconnect your TomTom.

Canalsman
29-05-2011, 09:36
Thanks - that's a useful clarification of what needs doing :)

Regards

Chris

Grandad
02-07-2011, 17:47
Hallo, I have a mac mini.
Should I be able to get the POI file downloaded on to it? Thanks.
Ron.

Canalsman
02-07-2011, 18:20
Hallo, I have a mac mini.
Should I be able to get the POI file downloaded on to it? Thanks.
Ron.

Ron

You will find tips on how to unzip the file on a Mac in the readme file, and also here http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12540-what-do-i-do-new-release.html

Other people have successfully done it before :)

Regards

Chris

Admin
02-07-2011, 23:59
I have a Mac and have had no problems, but you must use the unarchiver listed in the readme file not the Macs own decompression software as it can not handle the zip security.

Grandad
03-07-2011, 11:59
Thanks for the help Gents.I will let you know how I get on.
Ron

trappers
11-08-2011, 16:58
all poi are in tomtom how do you use them? regards andy

Canalsman
11-08-2011, 22:28
all poi are in tomtom how do you use them? regards andy

You can search for Points Of Interest (POI) based on your current location - they are listed with the nearest to you at the top of the list.

Then you can get directions to whichever one you choose.

There are other options - and if you browse the built in map you will see the POI's are shown as a green W ...

Regards

Chris

SteelyDan
24-08-2011, 22:51
I have a Samsung Galaxy S smartphone with built-in SatNav. How do I use the POI file with it? Alternatively, should I just use my laptop to look at the database, then use the satnav to find the wildcamping spot by postcode or streetname? All advice very welcome....

TIA :help:

Canalsman
24-08-2011, 23:37
I have a Samsung Galaxy S smartphone with built-in SatNav. How do I use the POI file with it? Alternatively, should I just use my laptop to look at the database, then use the satnav to find the wildcamping spot by postcode or streetname? All advice very welcome....

TIA :help:

CoPilot Live sat nav software is available from the Android Market, and allows third party POIs to be used.

This page tells you how to load the POI data Using POI Factory POIs with CoPilot Live for Android (and maybe other smartphones) | POI Factory (http://www.poi-factory.com/node/31770)

This is an extract from that page:

To get the files into CoPilot Live is surprisingly easy:

a) Connect your phone as an external hard drive to your computer. (With Android phones, hook up the USB cable, it should automatically ask if you want to turn on USB storage. It will then show up as an additional drive.)

b) Go to the \copilot\NA\North America\save folder (I use the North America version--if you just got the US version, it may be something like \copilot\NA\United States\save, it does vary between versions of CoPilot; it'll be in the general format of \copilot\(continent two-letter abbreviation)\(your country or map set)\save.)

c) Copy your .ov2 (and if you have an icon file, the icon) to this directory and disconnect your phone by pressing "Turn Off USB Storage".)

d) Start up CoPilot Live. It will immediately pop up stating that a new POI set has been found. Click the next arrow (to the right), and you can either select a preexisting category or select "New Category" for really custom POIs and click next.

e) Select "No" for "are you importing safety camera data?", then click "next".

It should then gracefully import all your POIs. These will show up in a custom category under Settings -> Manage POIs--so you can turn them on and off at your leisure.

Regards

Chris

SteelyDan
24-08-2011, 23:47
Chris

Many thanks for the prompt and helpful advice! :cool:

Ed
98 Ducato Tag Axle MH:have fun:

Canalsman
24-08-2011, 23:50
You're very welcome - I've posted this info as a new thread on the POI Support forum because I'm sure other people will find the info useful too ...

Pilotewanderers
11-09-2011, 18:30
We successfully got the POI onto our TOMtom and tonight I thought I would like to browse the file to see if there are any handy ones for our next trip out.

Firstly I cannot unzip with my password which is odd, then I got round that by checking my back up files and yes the folder is there unzipped, ah thinks I off we go but... it seems there is no way to just look at a spread sheet of the info?

Great idea though, and very useful.

Pilotewanderers

bigpieeater
11-09-2011, 20:59
Full instructions for all types of satnav, and for Google Earth, can be found in the POI Support forum :)

Regards

Chris

Chris, When is the update due out?
Ta

Canalsman
11-09-2011, 21:52
We successfully got the POI onto our TOMtom and tonight I thought I would like to browse the file to see if there are any handy ones for our next trip out.

Firstly I cannot unzip with my password which is odd, then I got round that by checking my back up files and yes the folder is there unzipped, ah thinks I off we go but... it seems there is no way to just look at a spread sheet of the info?

Great idea though, and very useful.

Pilotewanderers

The password is the email address that you have registered with this site e.g. fredbloggs@hotmail.com

The files are only intended for use in programs installed on your computer i.e. Google Earth, Autoroute or Memory Map, and various makes of satnav. They are not intended to be browsed, though you can open the CSV files is Excel (for example) and manipulate the data yourself.

Regards

Chris

Canalsman
11-09-2011, 21:52
Chris, When is the update due out?
Ta

This week, especially if the weather's grotty ...

Pilotewanderers
12-09-2011, 15:02
Ah now that is what I am wanting to do, to open the files in Open office calc. Any info as to how to do that please? What works in Excel does in calc, same same..lol but for the price. I like free...lol

I knew it was the email addy that we used to join and when I C&P it, it failed which is why I mentioned it. Seemed odd.

Pilotewanderers.

Canalsman
12-09-2011, 15:35
OpenOffice Calc should be capable of opening a CSV file just by double clicking on the file in Windows Explorer, or My Computer ...

Once the file is open, the only data you will find to manipulate are Longitude, Latitude, and the name of the place.

The only meaningful thing to do is to sort the data as you wish - but I don't see that that actually provides any benefit ...

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS