PDA

View Full Version : Snooper and POI's

Dorset Diver
01-06-2011, 13:17
For my sins I purchased a Snooper Ventura SatNav, and I have been regretting it ever since, but that is another story. At present I am interested in downloading the wild camping POI's to add to the snooper but I have not a clue as to how to go about it. Generally I am not even fair with computers so any help in very simple terms would be much appreciated.

BR

DD

Canalsman
01-06-2011, 23:18
This has been asked before - sadly it seems it is not possible to load your own POI files in to this device. Sorry :(

Luckheart
02-06-2011, 06:31
It's worth gritting you teeth and getting a compatible sat nav (if you can) Canalsman's poi's are worth their weight:bow:

LRM47
22-09-2011, 11:07
I too have a Snooper Ventura (the Lite S6000) and contacted Snooper yesterday in the hope that they might be able to shed light on how the .gpx file contained in the POI download can be installed. Sadly they replied saying that I would have to send the file to them for conversion, after which they would make it available for sharing with other Snooper users . Well obviously I can't and won't do that - but I am left wondering if it would be possible for the download author (Canalsman) to arrange something directly with Snooper to supply instructions that could be added to the download.

I have also discovered a very useful list of User POIs on the Snooper website for which I would need to download Snooper's "User POis updater software" . I would love to do this but my model is not listed as compatible!! Grr - I am waiting for a reply to my email to their tech department. It's particularly maddening as I bought this satnav specifically for use with the motorhome - quite a number of their User POIs would be so handy - pub chains, shop and supermarket chains, and lots of camper specific ones etc especially since it isn't always possible to access the Internet on the move. If any Snooper owners think this might be of interest and haven't yet discovered these extra resources the link is below. Why they've titled the link like this is anyone's guess - it's a long list of User POI categories most of which have nothing to do with golf!

Performance Products : Golf Course Search (http://www.snooperneo.co.uk/POI_list.cfm)

LRM47
22-09-2011, 12:40
Correction to earlier post - have just heard from Snooper.

The bad news is that they are not able (hmm ..I take that to mean not willing) to give me instructions to install POI list myself :mad:

The good news is that my S6000 is compatible with Snooper's User POI updater software.

Disappointed not to be able to install Canalsman's POI's on the Snooper, but at least I have them on the TomTom. I don't really want to take two satnavs on my forthcoming long trip (more stuff to get nicked) but I think I'll have to. Too useful a list to leave at home!

LRM47
22-09-2011, 17:53
Sorry if I'm going on about this - I tend to be doggedly persistent which is either a positive or negative trait of mine depending on your viewpoint (My husband would have quite a lot to say at this point!). I had a little look inside the hard drive of the S6000 this afternoon. The POI files are listed as three component files for each category a.bmp file (which I understand!) a .upi file which seems to be a file extension used by Garmin too (could this stand for User Place of Interest?) and a .inf file which could have anything in it. If only I knew how to convert the .dbx file into these three then I could defy Snooper and just copy them into the same folder and cross my fingers. Trouble is, although I'm not a complete numpty where computers are concerned, this might amount to biting off more than I can chew. I don't want to go down any scary dark alleys with these ambitious notions of mine! Any ideas anyone please? I promise to shut up after this. On this subject at least...

Canalsman
22-09-2011, 19:26
Hi LRM47

I have found some information about UPI files - they are a format that a company called Sygic created for satnav use.

There is a guide and software available to create these files from what is called a 'tab delimited' file.

This type of file is not included within the POI download, but can be created from one of the CSV files that are in the download.

The required action would be to open the CSV file with Word, for example, and to replace the comma characters (that are at present used to separate the data items) with a tab. The quote characters around the POI name should also be removed.

I have attached the software and documentation as a Zip file.

Would you like to have a try and let us know how you get on?

Regards

Chris

LRM47
22-09-2011, 20:14
Chris, thank you for this and I'll give it a go. Might take me a while to trawl through 124 pages deleting commas etc (unless I'm missing a quick formatting trick!) and I may not have any fingernails left at the end of it :scared: but I'll let you know how I get on. Rgds Lin.

Canalsman
22-09-2011, 23:21
You need to use the 'Replace' facility in Word.

This allows you to do the lot all in one go.

I have just done this for you on the latest CSV file.

I'll PM you my email address. Please reply and I'll send you the converted file for you to experiment with ...

Regards

Chris

Viktor
12-10-2011, 09:08
I'll watch this with interest as I was considering buying the Snooper Syrius S7000 Euro, however if there is a possibility
of difficulty adding my own POI's I have to reconsider.

Canalsman
12-10-2011, 12:20
Sadly, after lots of PMs to and fro, LRM47 was unable to get the POIs loaded :(

I'd suggest you consider other options, Mark ...

Firefox
12-10-2011, 12:34
I'm amazed there isn't some standard format for importing POI's to sat navs. And at least if they have got seperate formats, they would accept a common format like CSV with reduced functionality, just displaying the pins and no info. After all, a pair of coords is fairly fundamental part of a sat navs purpose in life!

ovalball
18-11-2011, 06:20
Is there any further info on this please.I contacted snooper and sent them a file to convert.10 weeks and 5 e mails later I have not heard a thing.It would be great to convert my files which snooper could read and not bother with them.Any how to would be greatly appreciated.

Canalsman
18-11-2011, 16:38
Is there any further info on this please.I contacted snooper and sent them a file to convert.10 weeks and 5 e mails later I have not heard a thing.It would be great to convert my files which snooper could read and not bother with them.Any how to would be greatly appreciated.

There have been a number of attempts to do this, but they haven't worked ...

A Google search reveals that others have tried and failed.

I don't think it's possible.

As an aside, please don't share the download data with a third party - it's a breach of copyright. I know that in this case it was sent to a sat nav supplier - but there's no way of telling what might happen thereafter ...

Regards

Chris

ovalball
19-11-2011, 08:34
There have been a number of attempts to do this, but they haven't worked ...

A Google search reveals that others have tried and failed.

I don't think it's possible.

As an aside, please don't share the download data with a third party - it's a breach of copyright. I know that in this case it was sent to a sat nav supplier - but there's no way of telling what might happen thereafter ...

Regards

Chris

Chris

The file I sent them to convert was one which I had constructed myself and was a list of places which I travel to with my work,dont think they would breach copyright or be of perticular interest to anyone else.Just wanted to try them out on my Ventura rather than my Garmin.

Canalsman
19-11-2011, 10:43
Chris

The file I sent them to convert was one which I had constructed myself and was a list of places which I travel to with my work,dont think they would breach copyright or be of perticular interest to anyone else.Just wanted to try them out on my Ventura rather than my Garmin.

Thanks for the clarification - perhaps I was being over cautious ...

I'm not surprised that they don't want to help - I am not a fan of closed platform equipment.

TomTom got into deep water over their newest kit which didn't allow the installation of third party POI data. Quite right too in my opinion.

Regards

Chris

Viktor
19-11-2011, 23:26
I'm using my iPhone and it is doing the job surprising well....you might consider that route rather than buy another SatNav...at least
you would have other uses for the phone too.

Nosha
20-11-2011, 18:23
I'm sure you guys will get this sorted, wasn't it the same for early Tomtom & Garmin users? Now there's all sorts of sites complete with free map updates, speed camera overlays etc.

I'm sure there will be info soon on gpsunderground and similar! If not I think there'll be a lot of secondhand Snoopers on ebay!!

Good luck!

alanb
01-03-2012, 19:53
I've tried converting ov2 (Tom Tom ) files, using the sygic utility to upi files, and then pasting them onto a Snooper, with the bmp file. The snooper objects to this, and crashes - I assume this is because it needs a valid inf file. Unfortunately, it is not obvious how you make up the code numbers which make up the inf file. They are determined that you can only use the poi sets they provide!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS