PDA

View Full Version : poi loading on ProNav?

lotty
01-06-2011, 15:15
Hi, I have downloaded the recent POi's but am wondering how i put them on my sat nav?
Its a ProNav PNN200. Ive had a look in the manual but it says nothing and a quick look on google has drawn a blank? :confused:
I'm not very up with technology, can just about send an email! lol
Any advice appreciated:help:
Thanks
Lotty

I have plugged my sat nav into my laptop. found the WC poi's file and right clicked to Move file to sat nav. It has done this and when i open my satnav on my lap top it showes the WC file on there, Is this right?
Sorry if i am asking a dumb question, I barely know how use the satnav at best of times, lol!

AndyC
01-06-2011, 16:23
I don't think it's possible to add POIs to the PNN200 - you are stuck with the built in ones.

AndyC

lotty
01-06-2011, 17:39
I don't think it's possible to add POIs to the PNN200 - you are stuck with the built in ones.

AndyC

Thanks Andy, :)
thats prob why I cant find anything on it.

jda
07-06-2011, 06:56
Hi Kitty
Try the link below - takes a bit of time and is a bit fiddly but this link lets you set up your own pois on pronav.http://www.pronav.co.uk/Downloads/Navevo_POI_Builder.zip

Callanish
19-07-2011, 06:22
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's been struggling to find a way of loading the POI file to a pronav and no-one has been able to tell me :mad1: -in my case over 12 months of frustration:mad2: .Thanks jda for the link,at least I have something to work from at last.:dance:

kernowprickles
02-08-2011, 15:41
Just wondering if any of you have successfully loaded the POI file onto your ProNav, because I've got one and am wondering how easy it is to do it??

fairytooth
02-08-2011, 16:26
On another MH website someone (Flinny from Cumbria) said

"We have recently bought a Pronav PNN 200E quite costly, to say the least, only to find unlike other similar products we cannot update our POI's (places of interest). Hence, we are unable to add European, ACSI campsites etc.
I have contacted Navevo (pronav) and they have offered me, what I would call a "Heath Robinson" way of inputing campsite co ordinates, manually!
I understand the satnav enables me to imput the diamensions of my motorhome, however, unlike other similar products Navevo have not acheived software to meet the cost of their product."

The POI Creator link above is your best bet, unless you Ebay it and get a tomtom of course.

Callanish
06-08-2011, 20:31
To be honest I haven't had time to mess with it...I just messaged jda the same....I don't want to mess around while I need a functional satnav when I have a few hours I will have a go...I know its possible as Pronav gave me the same heath robinson way of loading files but the unit would not recognise them despite the fact they were in a format it understood and they were installed on the card.

As for Pronav I love the unit and saved me loads of wasted miles when I drive artics its a little more pricey(I paid 200 for mine and I got that as a concession from the retailer as the high spec Garmin I bought was a dud from the start and garmin were umming and ahhing about whether to pay for a replacement so the retiler went out on a limb for me) but I think its worth- or was worth the extra for the functions,like the road restrictions data base speed camera data base(extra money of course) and the fact you can sync it to your mobile phone by bluetooth so calls go via the satnav though I think some of the more popular brands are catching on in this area of increased data for road restrictions,functionality etc.

What I do not like is being expected to shell out 69 simply to upgrade the GB map data base to a more recent up to date current one.Its currently been reduced 'on sale for limited period' to 49 for the update but I refuse to pay for updating software.
If I was upgrading to a better product ie to GB+ Europe then yes.

I complained to Pronavs marketing about this additional cost but their attitude is 'that's the price, pay it or bog off'.In the end it will them the losers but I do not intend paying almost a third of the cost of the unit every year or so simply to gain a newer map database.
Pronav are not exactly leading edge when it comes to accessorising or innovative new products either, they brought out the pronav ages ago and everything since then has been pretty much a revamp of the same unit...my own feelings are they are typical of many techy companies who produce a relatively cheap piece of reasonably good hardware and sting you for extra -time and again- for useable functionality software.

Assuming Garmin have decent equivalent next time I am in the market for a new satnav that's where I will go unless pronavs makers change their attitude- which I can't see happening TBH.

When I have wrestled with the POI update :scared: and its working satisfactorily :sleep-027: I will post about it here.

kernowprickles
11-08-2011, 16:59
I finally decided to give it a go, and after an afternoon of swearing and hair-tearing, got to the point where the Naveo POI Creator is informing me that "Your POI data is being compiled"........it has been informing me of this for OVER HALF AN HOUR, and busily creating a device file......I'm not convinced that it is really doing anything except trying to lull me into a false sense of security!!

We shall see. I MS ActiveSynced my ProNav to the computer, and they do seem to be talking. I did try taking out the card and putting it on that, but it wouldn't have it, told me that I couldn't write files to it, so I did the above, and it seems to have worked. If it ever finishes compiling, that is!!

The notes kind of abandon you at that point, and don't give any idea how long it might take. Had fun trying to fill in the bits on the creator, but got it after about 50 attempts! Perhaps it would be a good idea to have large quantities of chocolate on hand for the next attempt - if I'm ever mad enough to try it again! (Do I have to go through this EVERY TIME Canalsman produces a new file?? Doesn't bear thinking about!!!)

I will update my progress if it ever actually gets anywhere!:mad1:

kernowprickles
11-08-2011, 18:56
After watching it "compile POI data" for TWO hours, I decided I'd had enough, and clicked "Finish"! Strangely, there IS a POI file on the satnav called wildcamp, but I can't seem to do anything with it, - possibly down to the fact I haven't really got a clue how to use the damn thing!!

I GIVE UP!!!

But at least I now know how to get one of those interesting strings of figures that Canalsman likes for his POI data, so SOME good has come out of it!!

lotty
11-08-2011, 21:49
well I read what everyone else has said and have decided not to attempt loading them manually. All the computer stuff is double dutch too me, I can only just manage my emails and thread's on here! :pc::scared:
Will have to just use the Google earth to view the spots.
:goodluck: to those brave folks who are trying.
Lotty
xx

kernowprickles
30-08-2011, 16:45
Yes, unbelievably, they really are THERE, and USEABLE, now I have learnt how to use the darn thing! (Losing the instruction leaflet doesn't help with this, but I have downloaded it now!!)

It seems that in mine I input the destination, which then gives me the option of going to the town centre, or a POI. When I choose the POI, it takes me to the list, and I scroll down to the Wildcamping one and select. I then see all the ones nearby to my destination and can select one. I haven't got as far as actually GOING to one yet, but will try on the way up to Scotland.

Finally, all the blood, sweat and tears have paid off, but I don't know if I can ever face it again.......:sad: !!

PS: Many thanks for the link, jda!!

Callanish
15-10-2012, 19:36
Gosh,i had forgotten all about this thread.If its of any use to anyone I have managed to update the pronav200 3 times with canalsmans poi using the method given above by jda(many thanks jda).Unfortunately laptop is awaiting a new harddrive so i am stuck not being able to update yet.
The new pronavs dont seem to be any easier to update with non navevo software hence having tried on a friends pronav 220? I decided I would not be replacing my pronav 200 yet...it still works perfectly so overall i am pleased with it but not at all impressed with navevo or their continuing unhelpful attitude.They have now discontinued support for the 200 but you can still buy the map upgrade software -still costly-and the later models are not that different to update the poi using the above method.The operating system on your pc does seem to matter.Using vista or windows7 the update runs quickly but xp for some reason is less convincing and i have found instances of blank map data.I am presently looking into updating software that will work on most devices including pronav, If i find anything stable I will post info on the forum

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS