PDA

View Full Version : Stratford on Avon Motorhome Show......June 2011. Absolute crap !!

yankee
06-06-2011, 15:08
We took our van to Stratford on Avon Racecourse this last week in the hope of finding a good selection of sellers of motor homes and leisure accessories. What a waste of diesel it was. Stone leisure the organisers of the show, appear to be dealing a poor hand at any traders who want to sell their wares. Instead of encouraging sellers to go the the show to sell their bits, they are actively discouraging them by charging crazy high rents.

When we got there on Friday afternoon, we found just a handful of sellers of bits and pieces. We walked around the stalls in 20 mins flat. When we asked those sellers why they thought so few were there, they all said the same thing. They blamed Stone leisure and the course owners for asking too higher pitch fees. In fact, some went so far as to say that Stone are Bl--dy greedy and that the impression was that Stone dont really want traders there at all, they are just too much bother. All they want are visiting motor homes for the week and that they are only wanted to bring in trade to Stratford it's self by way of using the tour bus or scheduled buses into town.
Another thing we found was that the day car park only had a dozen cars in it on Saturday all day.
We had never been to a show before and we won't go again to Stratford , as it was only last year that we bought our motor home.
So instead of us going there and buying everything that was on our shopping list, we left empty handed.

I've no doubt that next month, we will read the magazines, and read that Stratford was a great success. Quite honestly, it was absolute crap. All it has become according to one motor homer who has been three times in the past, and swore last year that he would not go again, is a big camp site for a week and somewhere for like minded people to have a chin-wag.

Very sad and a complete waste of money, not just for us, but for the stall holders too.

AndyC
06-06-2011, 16:00
It's been declining slowly over the years, certainly a lot less accessory stands this year than I've ever seen before.

I think Stone Leisure need to rethink their stand prices, by all accounts its quite a bit cheaper for traders to exhibit at the Warners Shows.

Thing is, it's popular with the motorhome clubs because you can stay there for the week for 50, though I did think there were less staying this year than previously.

The best Stone Leisure show is the September one at Shepton Mallet, but I think if you want a good choice of vans and accessories the best overall is probably the Warners Peterborough show in April.

AndyC

vwontour
06-06-2011, 16:29
We have been to a number of shows in the past, and have been disappointed recently at the lack of exhibitors at some shows - getting interesting and innovative camping equipment that cannot be bought at the usual caravan stores being a main interest, along with viewing others vans, and meeting up with like-minded folk.

We have now narrowed it down to 2 main shows, where we have found fun and interesting things to do and look at, and lots of stalls & exhibitors etc. These are: Camperjam (July) and Vanfest (Sept). Camperjam being smaller than Vanfest, but we think more family orientated and a bit more laid back.

One of our pet hates at the shows is the appalling catering on offer within the showground, mainly greasy burger vans selling reconstituted animal products & fizzy drinks at hugely inflated prices! Best to go back to the van and cook, or take your own picnic we think! However, for those of us who don't want to lug cool-bags around all day, Camperjam is a real treat, as they refuse to let these 'grease-world' type traders in, and all food outlets have to offer 'wholesome' home cooked type food - such a relief! Don't worry, you can still get yummy treats such as superb milkshakes or pancakes, in addition to all sorts of main meals which won't break the bank (or the cholesterol intake!).

So, take a look at both Camperjam & Vanfest - you can see all the trade stands and more! We are Vdubers though, so a lot of VW's at both shows, however there are still quite a few coachbuilt owners who attend and fully enjoy!

Cheers!

Pollik
06-06-2011, 17:42
We were there, too, on the Friday, our first time.

Quite honestly, it was absolute crap.

Yep. Waste of time and diesel.

Polly

yankee
06-06-2011, 17:59
:wave: Polly... I wish i had have known at least one other Stratford virgin was there.

Pollik
06-06-2011, 18:16
Did I say I was a virgin???

Sooty 10
06-06-2011, 18:48
Just returned from our first visit to Sratford,yes the show was not very good. Having said that, we had a great week. Super location, camp site facilities, entertainment and firework display at the weekend. Even a free 3 and 1/2 hour coach trip, free return coach into Stratford and all for 50 for the week.
Just felt sorry for the day visitors as it was not worth the entrance money. It should even have been free entrance.

Sooty

yankee
06-06-2011, 19:24
Did I say I was a virgin???

No but you did say "our first time" :lol-053:

jogguk
07-06-2011, 15:27
We have been to a number of shows in the past, and have been disappointed recently at the lack of exhibitors at some shows - getting interesting and innovative camping equipment that cannot be bought at the usual caravan stores being a main interest, along with viewing others vans, and meeting up with like-minded folk.

We have now narrowed it down to 2 main shows, where we have found fun and interesting things to do and look at, and lots of stalls & exhibitors etc. These are: Camperjam (July) and Vanfest (Sept). Camperjam being smaller than Vanfest, but we think more family orientated and a bit more laid back.

One of our pet hates at the shows is the appalling catering on offer within the showground, mainly greasy burger vans selling reconstituted animal products & fizzy drinks at hugely inflated prices! Best to go back to the van and cook, or take your own picnic we think! However, for those of us who don't want to lug cool-bags around all day, Camperjam is a real treat, as they refuse to let these 'grease-world' type traders in, and all food outlets have to offer 'wholesome' home cooked type food - such a relief! Don't worry, you can still get yummy treats such as superb milkshakes or pancakes, in addition to all sorts of main meals which won't break the bank (or the cholesterol intake!).

So, take a look at both Camperjam & Vanfest - you can see all the trade stands and more! We are Vdubers though, so a lot of VW's at both shows, however there are still quite a few coachbuilt owners who attend and fully enjoy!

Cheers!

Never heard of camperjam before, just been on their website here (http://www.camperjam.co.uk/) and it looks quite interesting. Gives a list of the traders who are exhibiting, so you know what to expect before you go:D.

Do not have a VW van anymore but do have an interest at the moment in a modified Rock & roll bed mechanism so maybe just the place to get the info I need:cool1:

John

Glennys
07-06-2011, 20:47
Was the first time we had gone to stratford show, must admit not alot happening their, did buy a towbar from a very nice gentleman,:

TheMotorhomeShow
08-06-2011, 17:14
Just signed up and interested in reading the comments. I'll do my best to take all your thoughts on board and make next year's show better!

~ Graham

AndyC
08-06-2011, 17:42
Just signed up and interested in reading the comments. I'll do my best to take all your thoughts on board and make next year's show better!

~ Graham

Welcome Graham, good to see the organiser coming on here to respond to comments!

The main thing I hear from traders is that it's too expensive to exhibit, you must admit that the number of accessory stands has been declining and I think that is what, in the main, brings visitors to the shows. You might think about bringing the day ticket prices down a bit too...

Stratford ought to be a really good show, it's an ideal location.

Must admit it's not too good in wet weather though...

AndyC

TheMotorhomeShow
09-06-2011, 08:55
Thanks Andy! Point taken and we will be addressing the accessory issue at next year's show. We're currently looking at shifting the show back a couple of weeks, as lots of our regulars seem to book holidays at the beginning of June, plus we now clash with around 41 other shows taking place around the country on that weekend....county shows, car shows etc....which are more appealing to the general, non motorhome related traders, which people like to see. Now I'm here, I'll certainly be keeping you posted with developments.

Cheers,
Graham

vantoguk
13-06-2011, 06:49
we loved the stratford show but we used it for a cheap week away. 48 from Monday to the following Monday on a great spot with a gorgeous walk into stratford.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS