PDA

View Full Version : How to show all Pins in Google Maps?

Jimmy Hill
08-06-2011, 06:37
Hello, I feel sure this has been covered before but sorry I can't find it right now...

Can anyone tell me how to show all the WildCamp pins in Google Maps?

I've managed to import the wild camp.kml file into my Google Maps (so I use on my iPhone) but I only get so many (looks like Scotland, Northern England and Wales only)... I wonder if there's a limit to how many pins will show in Google Maps?

Any ideas, please?

Pollik
08-06-2011, 07:03
Yes, this happens to me too.

In Google earth, all the pins are shown...but earth is not as useful for navigation, I find.

The comments I have seen elsewhere suggest that this is not a limitation by Google, but a limitation of your computer. But.....it doesn't feel like that to me.

My guess is that somewhere under the bonnet there is a file that limits the numbers of pushpins that can be displayed.

Jimmy Hill
08-06-2011, 07:14
In Google earth, all the pins are shown...but earth is not as useful for navigation, I find.

You're right... Google Maps I find much better for planning routes...

Also: Haven't yet found a way to open the kml file in Google earth on the iPad? So on the iPad I use My Maps... and that goes back to the saved Map in Goggle Maps.

I guess it's worth trying to separate them into groups (of x number) then save as separate kml files?

CribGoch
09-08-2011, 12:18
Hiya, I have been playing with this just now.

When it displays your map in the browser it does a kind of search of the POIs centred on the currrent location (I think). The search results are paged in the same way as other google searches. If you scroll to the bottom of the list on the left you will find the usual google next page buttons. I think this is probably a good thing, as my browser gets terribly slow when displaying a large number of points (this may just be IE, Firefox is a lot faster).

It works quite well on my android phone. The google maps app seems to load up 100 points at a time, and will go on to the next 100 if you scroll to the bottom of the list.

It would be good to be able to control the page size returned by the search. Maybe you can in some setting somewhere, but not found it yet.

Andy

bobowas007
09-08-2011, 18:50
I downloaded POIs to google Eath and now I have POIs on the moon and mars ?

fairytooth
09-08-2011, 18:57
And .....just a reminder if you use a tomtom or Garmin, there is a very useful application based on Google Maps which can transfer all your places to your device ..

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/general-chat/13587-tip-tomtom-garmin-gps-users.html

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS