PDA

View Full Version : Wanlockhead

Crackpot
27-03-2007, 18:27
On the B797 from just South of Mennock.
Go up through the trees and sharp turns untill you get to the open Mennock Pass. Camping is on wide open areas. Many people there during the summer and the River Mennock that passes through the valley has Gold in it !
You can rent Goldpanning equipment from the Lead mining Museum at Leadhills.

hillwalker
27-03-2007, 18:36
Go up through the trees and sharp turns untill you get to the open Mennock Pass. Camping is on wide open areas. Many people there during the summer and the River Mennock that passes through the valley has Gold in it !
GOOD SHOUT MATE ,CAMPED THERE LOADS OF TIMES

scooter
29-03-2007, 22:09
Yes thats our playground ,seen loads of people with rented panning gear its not as easy as they make it out to be,to get your money.
I have seen guys who know what they are doing spend days for a few flakes of gold.The Benedictine Monks cleaned the deposits out hundreds of years ago,
most of the gold is still in the Vatican where it was sent.

Crackpot
30-03-2007, 10:49
I think you will find it was the Romans and Beavis Bulmer who cleaned the place out.
If those panner take days to find a few flakes theyre panning in the wrong place.
I use a basic Henderson Pump and home made sluice and always leave with half a gramme or thereabouts. Theres gold along the whole stretch of the Mennock and in the bottom of the valley next to the road its dead easy. Whilst I was in the stream using my pum my wife was sitting on the bank putting some handulls of sand and gravel into a pan and panning it and even she found some.

I much prefer panning in France though.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS