PDA

View Full Version : Beara, West Cork, Any insider knowledge?

ontheroad
15-06-2011, 18:05
We are planning to spend two weeks around West Cork area end of July, beginning of August. We have been there on holidays many years ago, but never in the van. We would love to wild around Allihies, Eyeries, Castletownbearhaven etc.
Does anybody know of good spots. We have a VW Topaz so don't need huge amount of space.
Thanks
OTR

decmac
03-07-2011, 06:56
We are planning to spend two weeks around West Cork area end of July, beginning of August. We have been there on holidays many years ago, but never in the van. We would love to wild around Allihies, Eyeries, Castletownbearhaven etc.
Does anybody know of good spots. We have a VW Topaz so don't need huge amount of space.
Thanks
OTR

Allihies: There is a beach (Ballydonegan Bay) just down the road from Allihies where you could wildcamp with toilets and water and also some homes, some holiday homes for security. I have been told by several people that you could park around or near the village pub as long as you have a few pints or whatever. Ask the publican beforehand and he will put you in the know. All friendly people there.
Castletownberehaven: You could wildcamp on the docks/pier but I think it can be noisy sometimes because of the fishing boats. A good friendly pub nearby is McCarthy's Bar. They might be able to advise you and they also do a nice lunch and the locals are very friendly. If you say "Up Cork" in the bar they will also like you even more (it's to do with the national game which is the GAA).
Eyeries: There is a carpark in the village and if you use commonsense and park at an area that is not much used on it, you should be okay.
Enjoy the trip, and I promise you that you will come back.
PS: There is also a campsite of sorts based in a golf club near Castletownberehaven (Berehaven Golf Club) and I think the charges are reasonable enough with showers, free washing, etc.)
Once more, ENJOY!:)

ontheroad
19-07-2011, 15:10
Thanks for that. We are Irish ourselves. Only a couple more days to go. Last time we were there was during the heatwave of 1995 and we stayed in the An Oige hostel in Allihies. Let's hope the weather is as good again. We are due a scorcher

OTR

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS