PDA

View Full Version : Tan Hill

PaulC
14-11-2004, 13:20
Hi

At "Tan Hill" (the highest pub in Britain) tent camping is allowed. Not suprising seen as it is on the "Pennine Way". However patrons of the pub might be able to park up in the car park, if you ask nicely! If not, on the basis of arrive late depart early there are places to stop over. Take the road from Thwaite (Swaledale) to Tan Hill via Keld and Park Lodge. However there is a steep hill with a hair pin corners to navigate. If this a problem then take the road from Reeth (Swaledale). Be aware that the roads are fairly narrow in this part of the country.

regards

PS Better directions may be on the web.

roifromnwales
14-11-2004, 21:39
you want to try devon Paul, did the doone valley and Porlock hill last easter. :blink: :blink:

neckie
18-07-2007, 23:15
Was there last weekend, the most genteel route for a motorhome is from the A66, just past Bowes. Come down the hill on A66 westbound then see sign for Tan Hill. Its about 10 miles from here, but steady climb.

There are loads of wild camp spots along this road, and very remote too!

When you get to the Tan Hill Inn, drive past it, over the cattle grid, up the hill and then on right is a dug out area (old access area to a long gone mine)

We parked up here, and pub is 5 minutes walk down the hill.

Great views from here too!!

cheers

Dave

mr grumpy
17-11-2007, 14:42
Tan Hill has been under new management for the last year. Good food and a warm welcome.

spacehopper
27-03-2008, 08:48
Parking up overnight at Tan Hill is no problem - they just ask for a quid per person donation to the local mountain rescue

PaulC
03-07-2008, 10:26
Here's a photo of what type of landscape you and expect, just taken this weekend from about 20 yards away from the pub.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm278/Blackadder310556/viewtanhill-1.jpg

I can see for miles and miles and miles and..........

ceejayt
12-10-2008, 12:53
Stayed last night - paid a fiver into the charity bottle for the two of us to stay in the car park. Brilliant steak and chips in the evening and a fiver for full English breakfast in the morning. Forgot the dog lead so couldn't walk it off either! Great spot.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS