6 pound per night

chopper
30-03-2007, 10:42
thanks virgil
thats the place lol
hope some of you can come along even for the day or 1 night
off now catch you later

30-03-2007, 19:09
only just seen this thread....gutted i only just read it as i would have been very tempted to join you for tonight.....damn i will have to stay in now :(
enjoy......!*$"@*! he he he he :D :D :D

grath
30-03-2007, 19:24
hello all
i will be at river side camp site in the centre
of betw y coed from 6 tonight untill sunday
if any 1 is over that way call in and say hi
6 pound per night
Is this the site that if u come out of the station to the end of the rd, turn left & left again??
If so what is it like??:confused:

taffybongo
30-03-2007, 22:25
Have used this site on many occasions. Not strictly wild, but the next best thing. You are two minutes from the village and your van is safe. Nice hot showers and toilet facilities included in the price.

grath
31-03-2007, 12:31
Have used this site on many occasions. Not strictly wild, but the next best thing. You are two minutes from the village and your van is safe. Nice hot showers and toilet facilities included in the price.
I usually overnight on the station car park with no problems.
:cool:

chopper
01-04-2007, 14:07
graph thats right yes come out of the main train station carpark turn left then first left again follow that down smaal track road then you come to the camp site

next time i go probably wont stop on the site as if you go down that track road theres another little car park behind the train station really quite
there was 2 other vans there this week end

cafe in a old train cabin
5 mins walk to the pub
just up and over the train bridge you have all the shops

nice place i recomend it for a couple of nights

grath
01-04-2007, 14:15
graph thats right yes come out of the main train station carpark turn left then first left again follow that down smaal track road then you come to the camp site

next time i go probably wont stop on the site as if you go down that track road theres another little car park behind the train station really quite

5 mins walk to the pub

Hi Chopper. Yes we usually overnight at the far end of the train station car park. Have done this about 6 times & have had no problems.
We have even on 3 occasions parked near to the bus stop & near alight with no probs.
Might see u there some time!:D

rebbyvid
14-04-2007, 07:24
We stopped a couple of nights over easter,past station, past motor museum
end of car park.Very quiet felt secure and no one bothered us ,1 for part day(4 hours) 3 for 24 hours.Did put ticket on as Wardens came round regular,but mainly to tidy car parks up.Photo's a bit dark as it was getting dusk. Rob
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/rebbyvid/IMAG0134.jpg

grath
14-04-2007, 07:53
Hi Rebbyvid,
We stop there regular and we always but a ticket. As u say, U can get a ticket for 4 hrs but the 3 ticket expires at midnight.
The wardens do come around to clear up, but we have never seen them check the tickets. Although we say this, we can not say never!
Very good location :cool:

rebbyvid
14-04-2007, 08:00
Yes Graham agree dont think ticket covers overnight .we got one about 9 which covered to 1am then put another on at 9 til dinner as we were leaving then,not sure if we had put a 3 one on it would have carried over or like you say expired at midnight
rob

grath
14-04-2007, 08:05
Yes Graham agree dont think ticket covers overnight .we got one about 9 which covered to 1am then put another on at 9 til dinner as we were leaving then,not sure if we had put a 3 one on it would have carried over or like you say expired at midnight
rob
Yes Rob the ticket would expire at midnight. I have purchased them & they expire at 2400hrs.
Sometimes a lot of cars for the smaller hotels park further up & nearer to the town & they stay overnight. I think the wardens are used to it & as long as a ticket is purchased next morning it is not a problem.
Lovely spot is it not?

rebbyvid
14-04-2007, 08:10
yes we have been a few times ,love it
rob

grath
14-04-2007, 08:14
Rob, I take it U R like me, & not away this weekend.
I have too many jobs to do & they must be done. We use the van every 2 weeks & try to keep to it.
Have u tried Carrog? We will probably be there next week end!:cool:

rebbyvid
14-04-2007, 08:46
No not going this week .Jaines learning to drive so will be taking the car up derbyshire (make a change to take in the scenery instead of lugging 20 tonne of stone).Still got to sort the electrics out and cant get it back to Spinney til end of month,were off to Greenacres Portmadoc taking mother in law for midweek break on Haven site so will take van back that weekend.Did pass through Carrog on way down at weekend and will give it a go,but looks like it will be after hols in June which is fast approaching:D
Rob

rebbyvid
23-04-2007, 07:37
Well we're off today to Portmadog so will be touring round the area (love it at Betw y Coed) but if you see us we wont be in a Ci Carioca15 it will be our new Fiat Punto
]

grath
29-04-2007, 16:30
:confused:

5 mins walk to the pub

Hi Chopper, what is this site called & do U have a tel no or anything
Thanks

chopper
29-04-2007, 16:47
all i no is its called
river side campsite
at the back of the train station
ask some 1 local they will direct you no probs

grath
29-04-2007, 16:53
all i no is its called
river side campsite
at the back of the train station
ask some 1 local they will direct you no probs
Thanks Chopper.
I know where it is as I have mentioned earlier on this thread that I wild in the station carpark.
Just thought I might try the site as could stay all weekend & sit out if weather is good.
Thanks again:D

grath
29-04-2007, 17:02
Just found it on the net.
6 per person/ night
Elec 2
making it 14 for us
Don't know how much for dogs.
Like the noise free attitude but not cheap:eek: but maybe worth it every now & again:cool:

t4_chris
15-08-2007, 19:39
Is the station carpark the big carpark at the end of the road opposite the big Cotswold Camping shop/Royal Oak pub ?.

Is it likely to be busy there next Sat eve, bank holiday weekend ?

grath
15-08-2007, 20:00
Is the station carpark the big carpark at the end of the road opposite the big Cotswold Camping shop/Royal Oak pub ?.

Is it likely to be busy there next Sat eve, bank holiday weekend ?
Think you have it.
It is the car park by the railway station.
Go to the far end, past the coach park and you should have no trouble.
It empties out in the evening even on bank holidays.
Graham

t4_chris
15-08-2007, 20:09
Thanks Graham. I'm thinking of driving up to North Wales to go mountain biking next Sat and considering places for my 1st wild camp :)

rebbyvid
16-08-2007, 18:32
Go for it Chris we have camped there a few times and could end up there ourselves over the Bank holiday.It does get busy at Bankholidays last year they had a circus on but mainly with daytrippers so quitens down at night.
Rob

t4_chris
16-08-2007, 23:37
I may come up Friday evening to somewhere near Coed-y-Brenin so I can go riding there Saturday morning then come across to Beddgelert and then Betws-y-Coed. The riding at Betws is Fantastic !

renault4mad
10-06-2008, 19:12
hi...
i know this is a wild camping forum but does anyone have a link to the Riverside camp site in betws coed...bugger if i can find it anywere...

phone number would be good even..

regards
andrew

grath
10-06-2008, 19:15
hi...
i know this is a wild camping forum but does anyone have a link to the Riverside camp site in betws coed...bugger if i can find it anywere...

phone number would be good even..

regards
andrew

I think you may find it is closed for tourers (maybe not) as it was taken over and gone well up market and very expensive.:eek::eek:
We always wild at the far end of the station car park and never had any trouble:cool:

hymercamper
10-06-2008, 20:52
try this link for phone number
http://tinyurl.com/4d3cpr

grath
10-06-2008, 21:02
The last time that we were in Betwesycoed and it was a bank holiday earlier this year, the campsite was closed for major refurbishment by the new owners

renault4mad
10-06-2008, 23:39
thanks you 2....
i looked everywere...going to ring them in the morning...

its our first trip in the camper so want to be on a site....learning the van life..

many thanks again

andrew
(Penzance)

renault4mad
15-06-2008, 12:38
This campsite is reopening on the 1st july after having major revamp...
booked in for a few days mid july...

grath
15-06-2008, 13:14
This campsite is reopening on the 1st july after having major revamp...
booked in for a few days mid july...

Could you please tell us what they charge as it looked very expensive last year:confused:

renault4mad
09-07-2008, 20:33
hi...

Just got the reservation from the camp site..

For 2 days with electric hook up..2 adults

44.60...were there on the 23rd

let you know what its like when we return.

regards

andrew

grath
09-07-2008, 21:11
hi...

Just got the reservation from the camp site..

For 2 days with electric hook up..2 adults

44.60...were there on the 23rd

let you know what its like when we return.

regards

andrew

That is a lot of money:eek:
Try the far end of the station car park next time as it is similar to a French Aire. It is very Quiet at night, but busy during the day.
Oh, by the way, when you are on the camp site there is a bottom gate at the far end of the site. Go through this and there is a lovely riverside walk behind the golf course (both ways)

t4_chris
03-08-2008, 23:08
Wow not been on here since last year!!!!!! here's some pics from the station carpark 2/3 Aug 08

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/skoda_chris/my_van/P1010398.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/skoda_chris/my_van/P1010400.jpg

The carpark was very busy late afternoon but cleared by early evening, great place to camp :D

jimmnlizz
03-08-2008, 23:17
Hi T4chris,
I've been on the station car park a four or five years ago, never actually went down to the end! Will do in future.......... now!!! JIM.

t4_chris
03-08-2008, 23:37
yeah do so ...... it's great!! I went to the Royal Oak for an hour or so and when I came back it was deserted :D very nice spot!!

Pioneer
20-10-2008, 09:13
Hi to all,

just week-ended in Betws-y-coed, and stayed on the large car park by the station. It was busy until 5pm ish, then was left tucked away in the corner (with street lighting). Car park started to get busy by 10am. Cost was 8 from Friday evening to Sunday lunch. No problems with overnighting and even had some entertainment from a Welsh Male Voice Choir in the Royal Oak opposite, food was pretty good and reasonable aswell. Area was patrolled by the Police and the council, but no comments. Good walking country.

Happy Camping.:)

grath
20-10-2008, 20:05
We have overnighted there many times and the Head Ranger (Snowdonia National Park) is a great guy but his side kick who incidentally says that he is a motorhomer does not like us wilding there.
Ok for 1 night but they do not like you abusing and staying longer.
I pointed out that we spend money there but the side kick was not having any of it.

sueg
04-08-2009, 07:02
Hi chopper - is it still ok to wildcamp here? Your post is two years old and we know how tight its getting in some places.
Ta

suewells
19-09-2010, 22:31
We had problems finding somwhere to stay in this area, so we used the Forest Holidays Beddgelert side
Although it cost 13.50 per night (two adults, no electic, campervan), we thought was reasonable as we wanted to go on the steam train, and this runs through the camp site, and we found the cost of parking for steam train ride in any of the car parks was 4.00
We were supposed to be off the site by mid-day, but as site was quiter and after explaining that we would not be back from train ride until 16.00 staff happy for us to stay until then
The showers and loos were spotless, the laundry was reasonably priced, quite site after dark.

28-03-2011, 09:19
I usually overnight on the station car park with no problems.

Sorry to say that the situation has now changed and overnighting in Betwesycoed is no longer condoned and is discouraged.
We had a very pleasant night here but this morning a Snowdonia Ranger knocked on the door and explained that the local campsite (Riverside) have made several complaints about motorhomes overnighting in the car park.
I explained about spending money in a community that welcomes motorhomes but at the end of the day we are still not welcome to overnight.
For myself, I will be spending my money elswhere.

confucius
28-03-2011, 22:36
i had two night there this month (12-13th) on the station car park with no problemsand there was two other vans as well

confucius
28-03-2011, 22:40
i had two night there this month (12-13th) on the station car park with no problems and there was two other vans as well

ps. we get tickets

grath
29-03-2011, 06:48
i had two night there this month (12-13th) on the station car park with no problems and there was two other vans as well

ps. we get tickets

Just the way it goes, we also have stayed there many times without problem, but we DID have a knock on the door by the Snowdonia Ranger as he emptied the coin meter in the morning and he DID tell us that it was no longer condoned and that the Ranger that did condone it has now gone.
He also asked us to pass it on to all the motorhomers that we know and as such I have done.
I do think that if you left early before 0800 you would probably get away with it, but the local campsite would still complain to the Rangers and in the long term it would do us all no good.
Just go somewhere you are welcome and spend your money elsewhere!
Incidentally, there was another motorhome there and the owners will be unaware of any problem as they were not in the van when he knocked on their door!
We also get a ticket when we arrive and again before 0800 the next morning.

Canalsman
29-03-2011, 12:33
I have, sadly, removed this from the database :(

grath
29-03-2011, 12:46
It is a shame as it's such a nice place, a nice handy stop over on the way to the coast, but it does get busy and there are other equally or better places.
At least anybody that reads this will now be aware of the latest information.

Airecraft
30-03-2011, 10:46
We had a very pleasant night here but this morning a Snowdonia Ranger knocked on the door and explained that the local campsite (Riverside) have made several complaints about motorhomes overnighting in the car park.

I don't really understand the logic of this:confused: Would you expect a restaurant to complain if you were picnicking in a public place? Campsites are welcome to offer facilities but not campaign against those who choose not to use them.

grath
30-03-2011, 10:59
I don't really understand the logic of this:confused: Would you expect a restaurant to complain if you were picnicking in a public place? Campsites are welcome to offer facilities but not campaign against those who choose not to use them.

It just comes down to greed and the little green man:mad:
They seem to think that if you want to camp in the area that you must use their facilities which cost over 20 per night even out of season.
That is if the Ranger told the truth and I have no reason to doubt it!

Dazid1
30-03-2011, 20:27
Does anyone have a contact no for this site?

Haaamster
10-04-2011, 07:44
I can confirm that Grath is correct about no overnight parking in this car park as I had the knock from the ranger this morning, I knew what he wanted as I had read this thread before I went, Conversation went like this
Ranger:Morning have you just arrived or did you stay overnight?
Me:Stayed over, is there a problem, I bought a ticket.
R: Well it's just that obvernight parking is not allowed here.
Me: :confused: No that can't be right motorhomers have been staying here for years.
You have signs where to park a motorhome and there are no overnight parking signs.
R:Well it's never really been allowed.We have been told to put a stop to it because of complaints from local businesses.

Me:Which businesses are they then?

R:Can't tell you that,sorry

Me:Well has anyone told the local shops about all the trade they will be losing.

R: Huh!!!

Me: They will be losing money by banning motorhomes staying, have you told them?

R: How are they losing money.

Me:Look there is me and one other van parked here I come here about 4 times a year (which I do) there are normally about a dozen and this the start of a holiday weekend. This will probably be the last time I come here because of this, I think your managers shouild have the decency to inform the shops as to why they are losing money.

R:But you can still come for the day.

Me:It takes me 4 hours to get here they between 5-6 hours for a walk up snowdon then you want me to drive another 4 hours without a rest.

R:well you could park in a campsite.

Me:Which one then, I heard about the boycott of Riverside so I won't be using that one.

R:What boycott?

Me:Oh! haven't you heard, it's all over the motorhome websites I don't know the reason.... hang on are these the people that have been complaining *look up at sky* Hey that must be the reason

R::confused:

Me:Look mate if you ban overnight parking motorhomers will just go somewhere else and Betws will lose a lot of customers, it's not that hard to understand.Well anyway my kettles boiling now , have a nice day.

R: Yeah you too

At which point I make my coffee and watch the ranger go over to his mate, they talk for about half an hour with the ranger pointing towards my van every now and then. Best cup of coffee I had for a while.

rebbyvid
10-04-2011, 09:11
I have also been stopping here for years in fact 5 weeks ago 5 of us stopped ,all went to the pub for a meal and drinks ,so that was 8 meals and drinks close on 200 spent.
THEIR LOSS......AND HOW MANY PUBS ARE CLOSING.
Rob

Canalsman
10-04-2011, 17:05
Seems to me there's scope for those that want to stay at a campsite to do that, and for those that don't there's the car park.

If the car park is made unavailable, those who stay at the campsite will still do so.

And the others will simply go elsewhere to spend their cash.

Seems pretty daft to me!

dickt
17-07-2011, 15:59
Just stayed on the railway station car park Sat 9th, and Fri 15th July,with no problems.At far end of carpark is a sign with a motorhome on it.Wardens came round at 7.30am but only to do a litterpick.Royal Oak pub a few minutes walk away does great food, and has a Weish male voice choir every other Friday,in the Stables bar,well worth a visit.

Lidders
03-08-2011, 07:02
Just woke up opposite the Railway station, there are no signs, no meters and an overnight toilet. Spent my money in the shops and the Stables Bar. There's another unit here too.
Checked the pay railway car park no signs for no overnight parking and one unit in there as well.
I guess it's luck of the draw. The pub was heaving!?

Lidders

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS