PDA

View Full Version : Payment to use pub carparks

cainnech
25-06-2011, 09:41
Hi, I have really just got started with the wild camping thing and tried it for the first time in Wales in a remote car park (field) where I dropped a couple of pounds in the honesty box. We both enjoyed the freedom and adventure and want to do more.

My question is - what is the best protocol with regard to a pub site (listed in POI) and payment I do not want to be sneaky or dishonest but we used a pub CL in Wales and it cost 15 per night for damn all, hence the desire to go free where we can (but no laybys please, dont fancy being knocked up at 3.00am.

Any advice on going about this would be most appreciated where a pub car park is concerned.

Thanks
Ken

diggdeep
25-06-2011, 09:53
we look for a places ware we can park out of way all ways look round no your way out camping sites are a rip of as we have been ask for 25 pounds a night on sites some car parks are o.k if thar is no over night sines up we park in lots places diggdeep

mandrake
25-06-2011, 10:02
hi and firstly welcome .having only used a few pub car parks ,i can only give you my experiance .firstly i have always asked if i have a drink and a meal is it ok if i stay overnight on the carpark as driving will be out of the question .and i must say i havent been refused ,if you do receive a refusal just say ok thanks and leave but i doubt you will be told no . as for parking up in a layby and being knocked up at 3 am ,never had that problem in all the years i had my van .also the same goes for car parks .some pubs that advertise as having a camp site on site well its a bit of a rip off in my oppinion ,you might as well use a normal camp site .try a few laybys out of the way see how you go on ,also down here in south wales nobody in an official,capacity seems to bother you if you try brecon you are allowed to stay in long stay car parks a night any way. good luck you will soon pick up the free camping bug

AndyC
25-06-2011, 10:07
Hi, I have really just got started with the wild camping thing and tried it for the first time in Wales in a remote car park (field) where I dropped a couple of pounds in the honesty box. We both enjoyed the freedom and adventure and want to do more.

My question is - what is the best protocol with regard to a pub site (listed in POI) and payment I do not want to be sneaky or dishonest but we used a pub CL in Wales and it cost 15 per night for damn all, hence the desire to go free where we can (but no laybys please, dont fancy being knocked up at 3.00am.

Any advice on going about this would be most appreciated where a pub car park is concerned.

Thanks
Ken
If you ask at a pub about staying overnight in their car park it is expected that you will give something in return for the hospitality, such as going in for a few drinks or a meal.

As it would generally be an informal arrangement (unless the pub had a CL or camping field attached where you will be paying the agreed fee) I don't think an offer of payment would be appropriate as it would then effectively become a 'sale', i.e. the provision of a service in exchange for money.

From a personal point of view, if we fancy a few beers or a meal we'll look to stay in a pub car park, if not we'll find a suitable parking place somewhere else, or look for a CL or campsite.

AndyC

cainnech
25-06-2011, 10:10
Thanks for your advice, will venture out with a bit more confidence.

Ken

mandrake
25-06-2011, 10:16
hi i see you are from derbyshire if you want to try a bit of wildish camping ,try matlock bath the railway car park is ideal to start with .or even cromford at the side of the canal .just a thourght

iwm
25-06-2011, 11:00
Well said Mandrake.

We found most of the wild sites from the POI list in Derbyshire delightful and with no problems at all. Talking about only a few months ago.

The suggestion by AndyC about asking at the pub is also a good one and I also have never been knocked back except for one in Scotland who I think had a bad experience before.

Best Wishes

IanM

curlytail
04-10-2011, 23:49
Like several on here we have stopped overnight at many pubs. I look for a largish car park and have only been refused twice because the bar staff did not feel they could grant permission - we moved on to the next pub. We always have a meal and drinks but one landlady told us we didn't have to purchase anything! We have stopped in numerous car parks that don't have a sign stating 'no overnight camping'. We do not stay near motorways or major roads. We do not use wedges or have anything outside or fit external screens so should we need to we can simply drive off but this has not happened in over 4 years wild camping. Another tip is to look where the lorry drivers park up - just avoid those with freezer units running and you may also hear them leave early morning.:sleep-027:

scek
05-10-2011, 08:02
We have stayed on quite a few pub car parks overnight and never had to pay.
We ALWAYS telephone ahead first and ask for permission to park and state that we will be eating and drinking in their establishment.
Never had a problem and always been welcomed.
And so far, never been declined to stay over.

avandriver
05-10-2011, 15:23
We have stayed on quite a few pub car parks overnight and never had to pay.
We ALWAYS telephone ahead first and ask for permission to park and state that we will be eating and drinking in their establishment.
Never had a problem and always been welcomed.
And so far, never been declined to stay over.

Thats a good idea to phone ahead and ask .

I have done that several times and never had a problem

Steve

Canalsman
05-10-2011, 15:34
Thats a good idea to phone ahead and ask .

I have done that several times and never had a problem

Steve

All the pub stopovers in the POI download have a contact phone number ...

To access the information you will need to use Google Earth with the KML file, or Autoroute.

Regards

Chris

Ted
05-10-2011, 18:16
We use the Good Beer guide too, to make sure they have some decent beer! And a car park!

cooljules
05-10-2011, 18:21
dog friendly pubs should be mentioned. :-)

Tony Lee
05-10-2011, 19:17
If you intend to eat out anyway, then the pub carpark can be regarded as free overnighting, but if you spend money on food or drink that you would otherwise prepare yourself, the pub carpark could end up costing the same as a five-star RV park.

Viktor
05-10-2011, 23:32
Some local hospital car parks allow 24 hour parking for around 7.50 and some are big enough to find a reasonably quiet corner. Usually you
have to pay at the indoor pay station the following day which might require a walk in the rain. They can be quieter than a pub car park which
is usually on a main road.

cooljules
05-10-2011, 23:38
Some local hospital car parks allow 24 hour parking for around 7.50 and some are big enough to find a reasonably quiet corner. Usually you
have to pay at the indoor pay station the following day which might require a walk in the rain. They can be quieter than a pub car park which
is usually on a main road.

who in their right mind would pay that much for a hosp car park for the night, if they are into WC. i doubt anyone

Firefox
06-10-2011, 11:21
I would not expect to pay anything at a pub car park other than eat and drink in the pub which may cost say 10. The food I could probably have prepared myself in the van for 5, so effectively I've paid 5 for parking overnight.

Russtic
06-10-2011, 15:44
We try to phone ahead especially since we have adog and a toddler, but have never been refused when we bowl up and like the look of somewhere (must be the scary speed we drink that has the landlord rubbing his hands).:lol-061:

scek
06-10-2011, 18:27
If you intend to eat out anyway, then the pub carpark can be regarded as free overnighting, but if you spend money on food or drink that you would otherwise prepare yourself, the pub carpark could end up costing the same as a five-star RV park.

Eh???

Basically if we ring a pub and ask to park on their car park we have also planned to have a meal. The parking is free. The meal is planned. No extra is paid on top of the meal for parking. We intended to park up and have a meal and crash out in their car park.
Alternatively we often park on Arnside Prom and have a meal in the pubs on the front but don't park on their car park. We also park in Ings (near Windermere) on the lane and and have a few pints and meal in the Watermill. Does that mean the free parking on the road is not free 'cos we've had a meal in the pub ?
Whats the point in parking on the pub car park if you don't want to use their facilities - might as well as park up at Tesco's.

Firefox
09-10-2011, 01:12
Yeah, I guess it also depends if you like eating at pubs or not.

I like trying different surroundings as long as it is not too expensive, so effectively I would have eaten there anyway... might as well make use of free overnighting.

But if I don't want to eat or shop, parking up and overnighting in a suitable street is fine and free. No sense feeling obliged to spend money if you don't want to.

curlytail
28-01-2012, 08:02
Like several on here we have stopped overnight at many pubs. I look for a largish car park and have only been refused twice because the bar staff did not feel they could grant permission - we moved on to the next pub. We always have a meal and drinks but one landlady told us we didn't have to purchase anything! We have stopped in numerous car parks that don't have a sign stating 'no overnight camping'. We do not stay near motorways or major roads. We do not use wedges or have anything outside or fit external screens so should we need to we can simply drive off but this has not happened in over 4 years wild camping. Another tip is to look where the lorry drivers park up - just avoid those with freezer units running and you may also hear them leave early morning.:sleep-027:

This mirrors my experience over the last 4 years too. We find many pubs are grateful for the income. Last week we were even fortunate enough to stop on a CS in Yorkshire who, when I rang to enquire and was told the filed was wet so the site was closed. I then said we did not need any facilities just a bit of roadway or other hardstanding. She kindly let us stay over free of charge. It was tempting to use the adjacent tap and WC point but kept our part of the bargain and did not.

We have used Aires in France, Netherlands and Germany and only had a problem on the edge of one French town where youngsters enjoyed knocking on our window and running away. We moved on to a French supermarket car park. In Germany we stayed overnight in an Aldi's car park and was woken in the early hours to an elderly war veteran marching his imaginary troops around the car park! No harm in either case but just ensure when wild camping, one driver does not drink alcohol in case you have to move.
Dave

dj motormouth
29-01-2012, 18:24
This mirrors my experience over the last 4 years too. We find many pubs are grateful for the income. Last week we were even fortunate enough to stop on a CS in Yorkshire who, when I rang to enquire and was told the filed was wet so the site was closed. I then said we did not need any facilities just a bit of roadway or other hardstanding. She kindly let us stay over free of charge. It was tempting to use the adjacent tap and WC point but kept our part of the bargain and did not.

We have used Aires in France, Netherlands and Germany and only had a problem on the edge of one French town where youngsters enjoyed knocking on our window and running away. We moved on to a French supermarket car park. In Germany we stayed overnight in an Aldi's car park and was woken in the early hours to an elderly war veteran marching his imaginary troops around the car park! No harm in either case but just ensure when wild camping, one driver does not drink alcohol in case you have to move.
Dave

Has anyone used this. The idea is good but I don't want to pay for the guide when I feel that it is in the pubs advantage to promote themselves. Or am I wrong and it is well worth it? Have spent a fortune joining various websites and to subscribe to another seems the final straw.

Canalsman
29-01-2012, 18:42
Has anyone used this. The idea is good but I don't want to pay for the guide when I feel that it is in the pubs advantage to promote themselves. Or am I wrong and it is well worth it? Have spent a fortune joining various websites and to subscribe to another seems the final straw.

There are lots of pubs that we have listed in the POI Downloads - have you had a look there?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS