PDA

View Full Version : West Bay, Dorset

activecampers
27-06-2011, 18:38
West Bay, Dorset.

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/dorset/8542-west-bay-2.html#post134084

Its clearly signed.

Expecting most in this area are. Expect more deletions tomorrow.

Canalsman
27-06-2011, 19:28
Removed :(

Regards

Chris

activecampers
27-06-2011, 20:05
Shame :(

Think we need a set of rules - or different POI datasets - ones that are definately good, and ones that are pay, and ones that are only usable if you ignore signs. Also - they should only be quality ones - not crap ***** laybys next to main busy roads lol!

(Or maybe we have different standards!)

Where we are now (with another small van) - is in Westbay on a small (empty/vvvv quiet) bit of road opposite a car park that says "no sleeping" - but this bit of road (30m) is public highway and the only bit without restrictions. Its okay to blag it, but not worthy for the db as a whole (imo). If anyone turned up in a bigger van in season it'd be unsable.

Thats why I don't submit these....

shazzpurple
16-10-2011, 10:20
hi there we had a few nights around there and it was great we first stayed at Abbottsbury in the car park at the bottom next to the beach real nice paid 2 so well worth it then we stayed on the road same as you.there was a lovely couple there called Beryl and George who had been there for a couple of weeks lol .
anyway i would recommend these places but word of warning we were told that the locals in west bay don't like people camping up thats why all the car parks have signs up nowadays so its wise to keep a low profile no loud noise at night and all that ...the usual rules basically ..
PEACE AND PEARL JAM

HAPPY SUNDAY ALL :cheers:

Viktor
16-10-2011, 13:11
<<Think we need a set of rules - or different POI datasets - ones that are definately good, and ones that are pay, and ones that are only usable if you ignore signs. Also - they should only be quality ones - not crap ***** laybys next to main busy roads lol!>>

That would be a good idea (about breaking up the POIs into groups), however it would be a lot of extra work for Chris to take on and
he's doing a brilliant job already. It would involve converting the database to text getting it across into something like excel and
sorting it, quite a bit of time and work involved in fact to break it up into 'pub stopovers', 'laybys', 'member recommended', etc.

bob72
16-10-2011, 20:01
I have actually converted the data into its relevant parts so I can search by type/location etc. It also gives me the street view locations for N/S/E/W of each POI so I can quickly scan to see if the spots look interesting. I am a software developer anyway so this wasn't too difficult. I also have a half built iPhone app that I can use this data with but at the moment I am pondering contacting Canalsman and chatting about building a web app that may be useful to members. (Of course I won't be releasing such an iPhone app with any data included, this is currently a personal project)

Viktor
16-10-2011, 20:13
The iPhone app sounds interesting Bob, good luck with that. As for the database broken up into sections and with info attached,
perhaps you and Chris would consider letting us with iPhones get copies? I'd certainly be interested to be able to divide up
the POIs into groups - mainly pub/hotel stop overs and the remainder.

If your iPhone app allowed you to tap on the POI for more info which the TomTom app doesn't, or could open from the TomTom
app just to show the information, I think you'd have a great app.

bob72
16-10-2011, 20:40
My app basically allows all what you said, plus it stores offline maps for a configurable radius of each location. The reason being I can normally navigate to the area without gps etc but the maps become useful when near.

The street view is great as I can rule out some I don't like the look of immediately. My plan was/is to use this for other poi databases as well ie aires, club sites etc.

I think there is an official wild camping App in development by Phil so what im doing is probably of no use.

I'm happy however to provide my tools to manipulate the data (in a few weeks when they are cleaned up) if anyone is interested.

Viktor
16-10-2011, 20:52
Sounds good Bob...if you have the database sorted into a pub stopover section, would you consider sending
me that as a zip file please? I could then just switch off the main data to find a recommended pub at any
given time. :cool:

bob72
16-10-2011, 21:11
I'm working from an old db but give me a few days and I can do that sure. Il have to check Chris is ok with it first though.

I'm not sure how to generate Tom Tom files at the moment but google earth or Csv output is easy

Viktor
16-10-2011, 21:36
Thanks Bob. Poieditor (online web app) will change most POI files across between different formats back and forth.

Canalsman
16-10-2011, 23:04
<<Think we need a set of rules - or different POI datasets - ones that are definately good, and ones that are pay, and ones that are only usable if you ignore signs. Also - they should only be quality ones - not crap ***** laybys next to main busy roads lol!>>

That would be a good idea (about breaking up the POIs into groups), however it would be a lot of extra work for Chris to take on and
he's doing a brilliant job already. It would involve converting the database to text getting it across into something like excel and
sorting it, quite a bit of time and work involved in fact to break it up into 'pub stopovers', 'laybys', 'member recommended', etc.

Thanks for your suggestion, and Bob's comments.

I know that Phil is working on ways of presenting the data differently, so the ideas are best pointed in his general direction.

Just to clarify about categories - these do already exist as I'm sure you know ... PH for pub stopover, LR/LU for laybys etc, so when using the data it's not difficult to focus your attention on what you're looking for ...

I am not keen to put in any more effort to looking after the POI data - it already consumes at least an hour a day on average.

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS