PDA

View Full Version : Dorset car park removals

activecampers
28-06-2011, 16:29
Pfff.

Any car park in Dorset seems to be clear and say NO SLEEPERS - so I'd say most if not all Dorset car parks are not permitted overnight.

Also - CR Abbotsbury 1 (Dorset) - very clear "NO CAMPING" and "NO OVERNIGHT" on hut, though no idea if it is enforced

OU Weymouth/Portland (Dorset) - is there and possible, but private land for £10pn for just gravel. Not really wild camping, but up to you if you keep it.

Canalsman
28-06-2011, 19:55
Pfff.

Any car park in Dorset seems to be clear and say NO SLEEPERS - so I'd say most if not all Dorset car parks are not permitted overnight.

Also - CR Abbotsbury 1 (Dorset) - very clear "NO CAMPING" and "NO OVERNIGHT" on hut, though no idea if it is enforced

OU Weymouth/Portland (Dorset) - is there and possible, but private land for £10pn for just gravel. Not really wild camping, but up to you if you keep it.

Thanks for the info ...

I have removed the Abbotsbury entry. The Weymouth entry has already been removed following other feedback.

I'll leave the other Dorset entries for the time being, and awaiting site specific feedback.

Regards

Chris

activecampers
28-06-2011, 20:09
No worries.
Will check some out when I'm near.

Maybe we should have locals validate lol!

I hope to add one tomorrow (if google maps are accurate :) )

Pollik
29-06-2011, 08:44
We need to start fighting back.:mad2:

It is a waste of public resources. It is bad for tourism. Not even sure "No sleepers" has any legal validity! It is malevolent discrimination.

(I feel better now.)

Polly

Tigatigatiger
29-06-2011, 10:23
At Sandbanks is states "No Overnight Sleeping, No Cooking and No Selling" we were not inour MH but asked someone who was and they said they enforce the "no sleeping" bit.

It was..are you sitting down? £15 to park up for 12 hours! but I think £1.60 overnight.

vwalan
29-06-2011, 11:16
best not sleep there then .you could turn the lights out and read a book though . thats not sleeping

Pollik
29-06-2011, 11:39
Well, I am screwed - I usually like to "Take a break" because "Tiredness kills".

Far better to carry on driving, of course, or to stop on the road, much safer there.

Idiots.

Polly

Tigatigatiger
30-06-2011, 07:50
best not sleep there then .you could turn the lights out and read a book though . thats not sleeping

Our thoughts too! we are swinging down that way this weekend so may jsut do that. Many campervanners were brewing up as we walked passed on sunday morning-but thats not cooking.

Dezi
30-06-2011, 14:07
At Sandbanks is states "No Overnight Sleeping, No Cooking and No Selling" we were not inour MH but asked someone who was and they said they enforce the "no sleeping" bit.

It was..are you sitting down? £15 to park up for 12 hours! but I think £1.60 overnight.

These same signs are along the clifftop road near where I live, & have been up since before I moved to the Bournemouth area over 20 years ago.

I can think of many friendlier areas than Dorset for wildcamping. However there are plenty of pub landords locally who will let you stay over.

iCoast - Explore the Dorset coast (http://www.icoast.co.uk/)

Dezi

duchess
03-08-2011, 18:15
hi, we stayed at sandbanks on monday night and the car park does not say no sleeping etc but there is a sign on the road referring to the roadside, pay and display parking. That is how i interpreted it anyway and the car park wardens saw us in the morning, knowing we had overnighted and said nothing. The parking is pricey though as we stayed from 3pm to 10am as we wanted to enjoy the beach and an early stroll, then some breakfast.
Hope this is helpful...

westbay
03-08-2011, 19:54
ĎFraid the above posts say it all as far as Dorset and the loathing of motorhomes.

Iíve just about given up trying to get the council / local business groups to see the sense of attracting motorhomes. The latest cockup is of course the huge park and ride carpark at Weymouth. It boasts 4 electric car charging points, but out of over a thousand car slots, not one place for long vehicles ie motorhomes.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS