PDA

View Full Version : Aberyswyth - on borrowed time!!.

fofeg101
05-07-2011, 18:56
Last week we stayed one night on the Nature Reserve car park near the Harbour in Aberystwyth, the one that says "No Caravans On Beach", The waste bin there was full and lots of rubbish just left lying around it. We determined to keep our waste in our the van until we could find a bin to put it in, there's lots around Aberystwyth. In any event, there was a large "Gin Palace Type" RV parked near by, and a young lady came out of it and deposited large bag of rubbish on top of the pile already there..!!!. It just gives ammunition to those who oppose overnight camping.

chopper
05-07-2011, 20:44
i stay there often and the bins are always like that
and the locals really need to clean up after there dogs
to be honest all the locals around there go out there way to talk to you very polite and friendly
i can set my watch by some of them what time they will be there to walk dog and meet up with there fellow dog walkers

but i can see what you mean them bins get that full then people just throw bags of rubbish all around them
but they get alot at tea time having bbqs on the beach so alot of the rubbish is from them

fofeg101
05-07-2011, 21:04
i stay there often and the bins are always like that
and the locals really need to clean up after there dogs
to be honest all the locals around there go out there way to talk to you very polite and friendly
i can set my watch by some of them what time they will be there to walk dog and meet up with there fellow dog walkers

but i can see what you mean them bins get that full then people just throw bags of rubbish all around them
but they get alot at tea time having bbqs on the beach so alot of the rubbish is from them
I realise some, most, of the rubbish was left by the other users of the car park but there was no need to add to the pile.
-

rugbyken
01-09-2011, 22:10
stayed in this car park N 52.40542 W 4.08962, stunning spot say's no caravan's on the roads as you drive in and no camping on the barrier to the nature reserve proper but there were 6 of us there tues evening , one had been there 3 days in a big auto trail could see about another 6 on the promenade opposite , but i think this is a much better/quiter spot ,as another poster said the dog walkers are very friendly and one an ex camper owner said that "the council had got rid of all thier warden's but traffic/parking had got that bad they had reappointed several parking attendants for specific areas so we should be fine"

Saratoga
23-01-2012, 22:03
The map reference that Rugbyken pointed to is known locally as Tan y Bwlch beach and it used to run all the way down to the far end of the beach. If you walk down halfway you can turn left, and that path heads towards the village of Rhydyfelin.

Other places used and observed are along The Promenade between The Pier and the harbour and whilst parking next to the harbour overlooking the sea it can get quite windy up there even in summer and if you wanted somewhere a bit more sheltered you could do worse than parking at the back of the houses in Quay Road.

Between Stryd y Ro and Sea View Place there is a parking area there. I'm not sure if it is double yellow lines but it is right next to public toilets (that are locked at night) and the castle and castle park.

I am not sure of the status of the carpark for St Michaels Church either, that is the one between the old university and the castle, and can be seen from the parking place mentioned above.

Street parking during the day is quite pressurised due to parking restrictions and the amount of people parking, but ISTR that most of the promenade from the pier along to the harbour is without restriction.

Be very wary of parking near Castle Street as that is adjacent to the HMCG station and if your parking prevents their 4x4 getting out you will be moved on forcefully.

There was parking on Bryn y Mor road heading up to the Aber Golf club but I have since found that it has been tarmacked over and lined properly and looks like it is for residential parking. Further enquiries have yielded a councillor lives in that area too :(

Whilst the road stops being paved it is possible to walk up the road as it comes out on top of Penglais hill and the other side can be accessed from the Clarach road from the top of Penglais hill.

If you don't mind roaming a bit from the town and really want wild camping there are other places I know of in the area that aren't close to civilisation yet are big enough to usually park something quite large in there (Actually taking something large down some of those lanes is a different matter, but with regular motorhomes you can manage it ;)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS