PDA

View Full Version : Single/lone/solo camper meet

donkey too
08-07-2011, 13:21
Proposed Singles/Solo/Lone Campers Weekend. 1st Weekend in September.
There are a couple of places suggested:
1. The common at Diss. I have looked into this although it is not my favourite.
I was worried about a largish group meeting on what is called a common but is actually private land owned by the council. I spoke to a local councillor who says that she has seen the odd unit over nighting there and the council isn’t particularly worried about that, They would however not like to see a large group of motor homes there as it is thought that if that was allowed then it would set a precedent for other travelling communities to set up camp. This and the fact that it is a pretty isolated spot with no nearby facilities has put me off it.
2. I did intend using the railway car park which is administered by the Friends of Brandon railway station, this is on our POI’s, but it is being used for 6 months by the company upgrading the signalling system.
3. Tried the Country Park but it would take 6 months to get a decision from the committee.
4. Santon Downham POI site is now a bar earth patch and used by the wife swapping or dogging fraternity. (Tried taking my ex there but they only offered an old fridge for her)
5. The Ram Hotel, Brandon IP27 0PX web: theramhotel.co.uk
Very large field with toilet., water and toilet emptying facility. Bars and restaurant open most of the day Live music or similar every Sat evening. Inexpensive menu.
Real Ale.
There is also a regatta and dragon boat race etc., In aid of charity on the river adjoining the field on the Saturday. Boat hire across the road. Brandon Brewery 300 yards away.(we can get a tour and tasting) Two other pubs opposite both with restaurants and a Bistro type restaurant next door. Brandon also boasts Grimes Graves flint mines open to public. Grimes Graves, Thetford - Reviews and Information (http://www.childfriendly.co.uk/family-days-out/england/norfolk/thetford/grimes-graves/)
Brandon Country Park where all the top chefs get their wild mushrooms (if they get there before me. LOL). Brandon Country Park in Brandon, Suffolk, UK - BrandonSuffolk.com (http://www.brandonsuffolk.com/brandon-country-park.asp)
Elveden Hall shops. Free Range Review | Elveden Estate Shop | Thetford (http://www.freerangereview.com/shop/elveden-estate-shop-thetford-820)
Centre Parks. Holiday Villages Suffolk UK, Elveden Forest Breaks | Center Parcs (http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/villages/elveden/index.jsp)
High lodge activity Centre with Biking shooting school and High wire attractions amongst other things. High Lodge Forest Centre in Brandon, Suffolk, UK - BrandonSuffolk.com (http://www.brandonsuffolk.com/high-lodge.asp)
There is a kebab shop 4 chippies, 3 chinese take away’s. One of britains best Indian restaurants and an Indian Take away. I polish, 1 Italian, 1 Lithuanian, 1 Russia, and a couple of other coffer shops. 2 great Breakfast cafes. A bowling alley with bars and restaurant on the market square. Also 10 pubs and more. All in a town of 10000 houses.

The pub venue is not free though. But I have beat the price down to £8 per pitch per night which I feel is a great price. No restriction on pitch size or what you put on it as long as there is only one motor.The price of the Saturday night pitch is payable in advance to me. The other nights you may wish to spend there you can pay when you get there.

If you feel like getting a team together we can get a dragon boat on the day.
If we go ahead with this, I intend to be there from Friday afternoon onwards.
So now it is over to you all.
Lets have your thoughts questions etc., (no rude ones please) on a postage stamp. And alternative venues if any, remember if the venue is near you then you will be required to set it up.

If for Brandon: Names and £8 deposit (Covering the Sat night only and Not refundable) as soon as possible please to.
Bruce Weetman
La Cave
Princes Close
Brandon IP27 0LH

You can ring me evenings Sat and Sunday only. 01842813214

kimbowbill
08-07-2011, 17:01
[QUOTE=donkey too;134992]Proposed Singles/Solo/Lone Campers Weekend. 1st Weekend in September.

4. Santon Downham POI site is now a bar earth patch and used by the wife swapping or dogging fraternity. (Tried taking my ex there but they only offered an old fridge for her)

:lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

donkey too
08-07-2011, 21:29
In the end I told her to get out on the corner and earn some money. she came back 2 hours later with £10.03. I said "who the bl''dy heck gave you 3p?" She said "All of them"

donkey too
09-07-2011, 15:15
needed to bump this. there are three for Brandon Ram now.

Rubbertramp
12-07-2011, 18:38
If you haven't got me down that makes four.

donkey too
18-07-2011, 10:33
we have now got four from here and two from Bongo Fury site. nearly enough to have a dragon boat crew?:) can't go on a dragon boat, they frighten me as they look so much like my mother in law from Pen y Bont.:wacko:

kimbowbill
19-07-2011, 11:19
I have to say guys, this is looking like a male only meet:scared:

flyby
26-07-2011, 23:32
if it 3 4 sep put my name in please

Firefox
02-08-2011, 22:21
I think I am in for this.

Options for payment 1. Tenner in the post 2. Pay pal. 3. BACS. I don't do cheques.

Maybe if I turn up on Friday night, that would be "in advance" At CL's I just turn up and pay. If the field is full I'll just stealth-camp in Brandon and join you in the pub, and for activities ;-) Whether I park in a field or on a street makes no difference to me!

donkey too
02-08-2011, 22:35
Thats OK we have 6 promiced from this site and 2 from Bongo Fury so that should be about right, shame we couldn't get a couple of the girls to come. Never mind, perhaps next time.
PLEASE FORGET ABOUT PAYING IN ADVANCE. I shall be there from Friday afternoon so just turn up.
BUT PLEASE ANYONE ELSE LET ME KNOW BEFORE HAND IF YOU ARE COMING.
Look forward to seeing y'all.
I am trying to fit a brewery visit for Saturday afternoon. The brewery is just over the bridge so within staggering distance.:)

baloothebear
03-08-2011, 04:14
Proposed Singles/Solo/Lone Campers Weekend. 1st Weekend in September.
There are a couple of places suggested:
1. The common at Diss. I have looked into this although it is not my favourite.
I was worried about a largish group meeting on what is called a common but is actually private land owned by the council. I spoke to a local councillor who says that she has seen the odd unit over nighting there and the council isn’t particularly worried about that, They would however not like to see a large group of motor homes there as it is thought that if that was allowed then it would set a precedent for other travelling communities to set up camp.

If you mean the weekend commencing the 3rd September then most of the Travelling people will be HERE (http://eastanglianlife.org.uk/whats-on/traditional-music-day/) Travellers always used to set up on the Common. It was a well known stop for lots of them

Firefox
17-08-2011, 22:11
I'm still looking forward to this!

Hope to be there Friday night. It's lucky you got in early as I have since turned down a county bridge match and volleyball training... everything seems to be happening on the 4th Sep!

I guess people are thinking, get the bank holiday weekend over, and organise their event for the next weekend while it's still almost summer.

I'd still like to do the Common sometime as it looks like a great place for a smaller group.

kimbowbill
18-08-2011, 08:55
sorry i'm having a blonde moment, where is the meet? i might try to get up some of my female campers to come along

Jen

Firefox
18-08-2011, 13:25
sorry i'm having a blonde moment, where is the meet? i might try to get up some of my female campers to come along

Jen

5. The Ram Hotel, Brandon IP27 0PX web: theramhotel.co.uk
Very large field with toilet., water and toilet emptying facility. Bars and restaurant open most of the day Live music or similar every Sat evening. Inexpensive menu.
Real Ale.
There is also a regatta and dragon boat race etc., In aid of charity on the river adjoining the field on the Saturday. Boat hire across the road. Brandon Brewery 300 yards away.(we can get a tour and tasting) Two other pubs opposite both with restaurants and a Bistro type restaurant next door. Brandon also boasts Grimes Graves flint mines open to public. Grimes Graves, Thetford - Reviews and Information (http://www.childfriendly.co.uk/family-days-out/england/norfolk/thetford/grimes-graves/)
Brandon Country Park where all the top chefs get their wild mushrooms (if they get there before me. LOL). Brandon Country Park in Brandon, Suffolk, UK - BrandonSuffolk.com (http://www.brandonsuffolk.com/brandon-country-park.asp)
Elveden Hall shops. Free Range Review | Elveden Estate Shop | Thetford (http://www.freerangereview.com/shop/elveden-estate-shop-thetford-820)
Centre Parks. Holiday Villages Suffolk UK, Elveden Forest Breaks | Center Parcs (http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/villages/elveden/index.jsp)
High lodge activity Centre with Biking shooting school and High wire attractions amongst other things. High Lodge Forest Centre in Brandon, Suffolk, UK - BrandonSuffolk.com (http://www.brandonsuffolk.com/high-lodge.asp)
There is a kebab shop 4 chippies, 3 chinese take away’s. One of britains best Indian restaurants and an Indian Take away. I polish, 1 Italian, 1 Lithuanian, 1 Russia, and a couple of other coffer shops. 2 great Breakfast cafes. A bowling alley with bars and restaurant on the market square. Also 10 pubs and more. All in a town of 10000 houses.

kimbowbill
18-08-2011, 15:41
I've emailed the girls who attended the ladies meet, think theres about 10 of us altogether, how much space is there if we decided to come?

Jen

flyby
29-08-2011, 21:08
is this still on

SteelyDan
29-08-2011, 21:52
If this is still on, I would love to christen my newly-acquired Ducato Tag motorhome with its inaugural meet...... let's hope the weather allows a BBQ and drunken orgy outdoors!!:p

Firefox
03-09-2011, 00:29
Well we are here at the moment, 5 of us on Friday night. You have the whole weekend to come, so get over for a day or so for chat, BBQ and hopefully good weather! There seems plenty of space at the moment in the field.

francophile1947
04-09-2011, 15:17
Many thanks to those who turned up. This was my first meet with anybody from Wild Camping and I really enjoyed it - just a pity we were all teetotalhttp://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Winks/ok-wink.gif

Firefox
04-09-2011, 16:37
Many thanks to Bruce for organising it and for the hip flasks... very appropriate:beer:

And also to Bruce's friend for the step stool :)

Look forward to another one sometime. The Ram was great - good bar and Adnams Lighthouse at £1.99 a pint!

Rubbertramp
04-09-2011, 18:58
Great weekend......:fun:Thank you Bruce for organising this...you are a top man! Hope she isn't too "rough" with you next Saturday and don't forget to wear your suit!:cool1:
Where were you Girlies?

kangooroo
04-09-2011, 19:26
Glad you had a good time.

I hope to pop along to a future solo-campers meet so will be keeping an eye on this thread for any more which are arranged, preferably wilding somewere free of charge! Hopefully other females will be along too.

donkey too
04-09-2011, 22:08
It was a pleasure and an honor top meet you guys. specially rubber tramp, we have a lot in common. But Also found that we ALL had something in common besides wilding and that was beer. Pub landpord says give him notice next time so he can stock up.:cool1:

We are already thinking along the lines of another meet out of the holiday season so better watch this space. Rubber tramp did tap the landlord about free pitches and he is willing so long as there are enough of us.

We did discuss the use of a wild spot during our more sobber moments and I believe everyone was in agreement with me that 2 to 3 dozen of us (which is what we are aiming for at the next one) would put us in the same clissification as the other travelling community in the eyes of the locals. and as long as we can get free or possibly even a reduced fee at a pub location it would be far better. But as always we are open to suggestions as to where to meet and dates. Either way we will be having another meet at the Ram.

Thanks fellows for a GGGGrreat week end.

SteelyDan
05-09-2011, 05:39
Hi
Very miffed not to make it to this meet due to mech problems with the Fiat...:( Will watch out for the next one!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS