PDA

View Full Version : Portencross

toxicturtle
11-07-2011, 08:57
Portencross Carpark (tis nicer than it sounds) is a cracking wee overnight stop over. Have started using it again due to Barassie beach putting up goal posts. By the sea with a great sunset, few midges, a castle and best of all ROCKPOOLS! Just outside Seamill as you head north, turn off to the left and just follow the road down.
There are goal posts up but if you drive in the entry hugging the left kerb, my high top T25 with sticky out vent manages through. There was a handmade no overnight parking sign a while back bit thats now gone. The carpark is visited regularly by the police (something to do with the powerstation further up) and they usually give a nod and a wave.
Portencross Feature Page on Undiscovered Scotland (http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/westkilbride/portencross/index.html)

Marcs
11-07-2011, 21:16
I recommended that a while back too, I'm surprised you get in, it's a squeeze in my delica. You been up the castle? It's an Impressive restoration and a great view on a good day.

toxicturtle
12-07-2011, 07:25
The goal posts arnt level so there is just enough at the entrance on the left hand side or you could squeeze by the goalposts and the boulders on the righthand side. Theyve done some work and replaced the original goalposts which had been lifted in the middle which had plenty o clearance!
Castles well cool indeed.

hillwalker
23-07-2011, 10:46
is this place easy to find ...

toxicturtle
23-07-2011, 19:46
Head north from Ardrossan, thru seamill and as you leave seamill, turning on the left, signposted. There's live music tonight, if turtle didn't have mot failing metal moths, we'd have been there tonight. As it is, turtles getting treated n I'm sulking tho to be honest, first major mot failure in 5 years.

hillwalker
23-07-2011, 20:34
I,M just back from there , it's a braw wee place , is it quiet at nite , no neds in the car park or anything ... braw views of arran and cumbrae ...

Marcs
24-07-2011, 22:40
I was down there yesterday aswell, and at the nice beach by the golf course up the road. As for the quietness of the car park I'm sure that would vary but chances are if the neds saw they were being watched by campers they'd soon move on.

DianneDFoy
06-05-2014, 08:16
We just stayed on Sunday night, thanks for the recommendation, spot-on. We've been to Seamill many times, but never Portencross. There are a couple of houses near to the car park, but they don't seem to mind, we were chatting to one of the residents and it seems a popular spot for dog walkers and ramblers, so they're not unused to visitors. Castle, rockpools, nice pathway to Hunterston all checked out too, loved it. Police patrols seemed to happen every hour or so (it was a stormy night, so I wasn't sleeping much!), so they clearly don't mind :dance:

Tandemsandy
03-09-2014, 22:00
Getting excited new to this forum, but taking vinnie our T25 this weekend to portencross, as we are visiting area for the Prestwick airshow!

koi
02-11-2016, 14:42
Is this the one you are referring to?

Google Maps (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.6858327,-4.8652956,3a,75y,265.27h,68.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTHUYWgYq7Z3yeKIkIvJgVQ!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS