PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sleddale - Nr Shap - junction 39 M6

twosugars
12-07-2011, 16:34
An out of the way car park overlooking a reservoir just 5 mins from J39 of the M6 at shap. No regs barriers or other facilities, just nice views . A useful quiet overnight spot to "break" a journey to scotland.

Leave M6 at junction 39 and follow the link road west to the A6 then turn right toward Shap. Take the first left (signposted Wet Sleddale) and follow to car park at the southeastern end of the dam.

Local shops in Shap village

Canalsman
13-07-2011, 17:32
Thanks for the suggestion - this place is, I'm happy to say, already in the Wild Camping POI database :)

Regards

Chris

ellieloy
25-07-2011, 14:08
is this one ok for big motorhomes - no probs re height or length?

Canalsman
25-07-2011, 15:41
Take a look here 54.49608, -2.68895 - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/4v9jvlh)

Looks OK to me ...

teen
25-07-2011, 16:20
An out of the way car park overlooking a reservoir just 5 mins from J39 of the M6 at shap. No regs barriers or other facilities, just nice views . A useful quiet overnight spot to "break" a journey to scotland.

Leave M6 at junction 39 and follow the link road west to the A6 then turn right toward Shap. Take the first left (signposted Wet Sleddale) and follow to car park at the southeastern end of the dam.

Local shops in Shap village

good stopping place but beware - NO Dogs - and there is fishing - you can buy vouchers. just search Wet sleddale on Google.

ellieloy
30-07-2011, 20:10
Drove down to the car park today - plenty of room there and nice walking/views .... but narrow road, for big motorhomes, and care needed to be taken on corners where stream drops away - take care if you do this one in the dark!!

davymk2
05-08-2011, 20:54
Here just now and only thing about dogs is a sign to keep them on a short lead due to adders. However might not be the best place if you have a dog as sheep walk over the car park.

paul h
06-08-2011, 08:45
i have a 7.5 tonne wagon will i get that down its only similiar length to my vw crafter lwb will i get the big lad down the narrow roads

teen
06-08-2011, 11:20
Here just now and only thing about dogs is a sign to keep them on a short lead due to adders. However might not be the best place if you have a dog as sheep walk over the car park.

Its the fishing website that has a big note NO DOGS - glad there is no sign to say - other than on the lead- havnt heard about the adders before, looked up the local paper and an adder has been spotted south of Kendal. May be just a farmer looking for a way to keep control of dogs so they dont bother his sheep!

davymk2
06-08-2011, 17:02
It's was a proper typed up notice with contact numbers for both nearby hospital/vets still nice enough to spend the night

ellieloy
13-08-2011, 17:13
i have a 7.5 tonne wagon will i get that down its only similiar length to my vw crafter lwb will i get the big lad down the narrow roads

WE took a 25 ft Rimor Superbrig down there - its narrow but there is a farm and their trucks get down - the hairy bit for me was a bend with a stream and I got scared the rear wheel would drop off the edge ..... but we got there and got back

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS