PDA

View Full Version : POI File WinRAR ZIP file

hilly
18-07-2011, 18:08
Hi All
We are new members hoping to do some wild camping in Scotland soon. We've downloaded the POI file and have installed it into Google Earth which seems to be working fine. The only possible difficulty is the POI file is saved as a WINRAR ZIP archive, and a message says that this is only free for 40 days. Do I need to change it to something else, or will the POI information be shown on Google Earth after the 40 days?
Could someone help us?

Canalsman
18-07-2011, 20:22
It sounds as though you are using a trial version of WINRAR to extract the files.

You don't need to do this if you are using Windows XP, Vista or 7 ...

Windows itself allows you to 'unzip' the downloaded file.

Regards

Chris

Nosha
18-07-2011, 20:24
Now you've unzipped it it should be OK, it's just the winzip software that won't unzip any more files after 40 days.

I would suggest when it runs out uninstall it and go to www,downloads.com and download a FREE unzip package - Problem solved for good! I'm using Zipeg with good results, VERY easy to use and it's FREE!!!

hilly
19-07-2011, 12:53
Thanks very much for your advice, Canalsman and Nosha. We've got Windows XP so, from what you say, we didn't need the WIN RAR trial version, but it seemed to happen automatically. (We're not computer experts!). Anyway, sounds as if we'll be OK now it's done the unzipping. If we have a problem after 40 days we'll do the download again and try to use XP or Zipeg.
Thanks again
Hilly

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS