PDA

View Full Version : New Wildcamper

qwark
19-07-2011, 17:16
As I am new to wildcamping, what is the best way to get water (not drinking water), if you can't find a campsite? Can you use a garage for example? Also do many camps have chemical disposal?
I Know you can get round this by using campsites, but I am looking forward to waking up by a Scottish Loch or in the shadow of a Monroe. I am quite prepared to use campsites on ocassion, but I am not sure how often we need to do this to do this to empty out and take on water.
Thanks for any help.:)

Old_Arthur
19-07-2011, 17:32
welcome :wave: enjoy the site

Canalsman
19-07-2011, 18:57
As I am new to wildcamping, what is the best way to get water (not drinking water), if you can't find a campsite? Can you use a garage for example? Also do many camps have chemical disposal?
I Know you can get round this by using campsites, but I am looking forward to waking up by a Scottish Loch or in the shadow of a Monroe. I am quite prepared to use campsites on ocassion, but I am not sure how often we need to do this to do this to empty out and take on water.
Thanks for any help.:)

It's quite straightforward as my last week's wild camping proved.

You will find water at:

Garages
Public toilets
Sports/leisure grounds
Cemeteries

Doubtless there are other options ...

I have a collapsible 15 litre water carrier, and a 45 litre tank, so three trips to the tap and back and it's full.

Using a hose is easier, but sometimes you can't get close to the tap, or it's a press-and-hold tap which can be tricky to fit a connector onto.

There are ways round the press-and-hold - an assistant, a velcro strap, or a weight (e.g. a filled collapsible container!).

In essence, it's not a problem. Just be resourceful :)

tranivanman
20-07-2011, 08:11
hi

welcome to the site
you'll find lots of helpful people on here willing to give advice, all you have to do is ask and someone will reply with help.

happy wilding.

tranivanman

Randonneur
20-07-2011, 12:55
Hi, welcome to the site.

Most campsites have a chemical toilet disposal facility of some sort, but if you don't use chemicals in your toilet you could also use public toilets to empty your cassette if need be.

We stopped using toilet chemicals a couple of years ago, instead we use one or two biological washing powder tablets when we empty our cassette now after finding the tip on here. The bio part of the tablet is what digests the yucky stuff and they are cheap to buy from any shop or supermarket and easy to store with no danger of messy smelly spillage and when you empty the cassette they leave a pleasant perfume smell. You can also safely use public toilets for disposal as there is no more there than what you would put down your loo at home.

That's what we do anyway, hope this is helpful to you.

Regards, Randonneur.

tranivanman
20-07-2011, 14:09
Hi, welcome to the site.

Most campsites have a chemical toilet disposal facility of some sort, but if you don't use chemicals in your toilet you could also use public toilets to empty your cassette if need be.

We stopped using toilet chemicals a couple of years ago, instead we use one or two biological washing powder tablets when we empty our cassette now after finding the tip on here. The bio part of the tablet is what digests the yucky stuff and they are cheap to buy from any shop or supermarket and easy to store with no danger of messy smelly spillage and when you empty the cassette they leave a pleasant perfume smell. You can also safely use public toilets for disposal as there is no more there than what you would put down your loo at home.

That's what we do anyway, hope this is helpful to you.

Regards, Randonneur.

hi
thanks for the tip, that sound like a very good idea!!!

tranivanman

qwark
20-07-2011, 17:03
Thanks some good advice, will use these tips

kneedownnidge
14-08-2011, 14:59

Regards, Randonneur.

Maybe i"m missing the obvious but............I am sure the chemical waste disposal points on campsites feed into the normal foul sewers, so why can you not use public toilets to empty your waste.

If i'm wrong then where does the waste go ????? If it goes into a separate catch tank and a vacuum tanker picks up the waste, and i cannot think of any other way to transport this kind of waste, then where do they take it. I assume the sewerage works , which is where it would end up anyway.

Top tip about the washing tablets though. Will give the a try !!!!!

Alan Steve
04-10-2011, 13:32
I am also new to wild camping, This is awesome experience to share with others.

Firefox
04-10-2011, 17:37
Maybe i"m missing the obvious but............I am sure the chemical waste disposal points on campsites feed into the normal foul sewers, so why can you not use public toilets to empty your waste.

If i'm wrong then where does the waste go ????? If it goes into a separate catch tank and a vacuum tanker picks up the waste, and i cannot think of any other way to transport this kind of waste, then where do they take it. I assume the sewerage works , which is where it would end up anyway.

Top tip about the washing tablets though. Will give the a try !!!!!

You are right about the chemical waste disposal and public toilets. It all ends up in the foul sewer, so it doesn't matter. A foul sewer is home to all kinds of nasty chemicals, cleaning fluids etc, but well diluted with plenty of water.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS