PDA

View Full Version : My big Scottish Trip - Please help.

plugus maximus
24-07-2011, 16:20
Can anyone recommend nice little spots for stopping over in any of these regions? Preferably wild camping but nice good value campsites would also be welcome.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=207291682810570301896.0004a8d2f4a6fd98575c8

I'll have my wife and two little nippers on board for a family holiday.

K

schizowife
24-07-2011, 16:27
Shape 4
Fantastic place we stayed last year with 2 kids was Dalraddy campsite near Aviemore. The whole area was gorgeous and there is a great wildlife park close by. We were only going to stay for a night but ended up there for 5 nights. Play area for kids on site and lots to do locally. We are stopping there again this year on our way to Orkney.

Helen

kernowprickles
24-07-2011, 16:37
If you become a Full Member, you can get access to Canalsman's POI files, which show you where all the Wilding places are. Well worth it for the saving in campsite fees! You can also find wild places by using Google Street View in the area you want to go to; I've been spending hours doing this for OUR Big Scottish trip at the end of August.

Are you in the Caravan Club or the Camping & Caravanning Club? They have lots of 5 van sites which are a lot cheaper (usually!!) than commercial sites.

Another good site to look on is this one, as there are reviews of most of the sites, and you can search in particular areas:
The UK Camp Site for Tent and Caravan Campers in the UK (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/)

Good luck, we'll wave if we see you!!

plugus maximus
24-07-2011, 17:37
Thanks peeps! I have within the last hour become a member and paid my fee ... but I can't get the POI downloaded ... says I'm not a member!!! :hammer:

I'm also a member of the camping and caravan club by default as I have my insurance with them. I am looking at staying at Bellingham possibly on my way up. As nice as it looks I am also hoping to find a lovely free alternative!! :)

Yorkshire Lass
24-07-2011, 20:17
As an ex London lass married to a scot living in Yorkshire I was worried about wilding.

After a couple of tries in England we had 4 nights in Dumfries and Galloway fantastic is all I can say, especially the wild CE Monreith over looking Luce bay it's a small car park right next to the beach,drive down past the golf course very peaceful.

Also great lay-bys on woodland roads especially along the A712 The Queens Way.:sleep-027:

georgert1
24-07-2011, 20:21
Thanks peeps! I have within the last hour become a member and paid my fee ... but I can't get the POI downloaded ... says I'm not a member!!! :hammer:

I'm also a member of the camping and caravan club by default as I have my insurance with them. I am looking at staying at Bellingham possibly on my way up. As nice as it looks I am also hoping to find a lovely free alternative!! :)
Hello, Make sure you are signed in !!! ( top of page ) then download the poi file , simples lol. :lol-053:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS