PDA

View Full Version : No overnight camping for Campervans and Caravans notices

mardee
24-07-2011, 21:45
We were in Sutherland last week and in Lochinver, Kylesku and Scourie there were yellow notices in almost every parking place saying "No overnight parking of Campervans and Caravans." We did not go north of Scourie on this trip so I'm not sure if there were notices there'
When we crossed the border into Ross and Cromarty there were no notices

Alf
25-07-2011, 07:52
We were in Sutherland last week and in Lochinver, Kylesku and Scourie there were yellow notices in almost every parking place saying "No overnight parking of Campervans and Caravans." We did not go north of Scourie on this trip so I'm not sure if there were notices there'

These have been there for quite a while now most if not all of themare on private land the ones across from the shop dont do much for business
Alf

cazwood
25-07-2011, 16:43
What a shame, it's a beautiful part of the world. Although Achmelvich would be my stop of choice.

Rubbertramp
25-07-2011, 19:40
Those notices are only a deterrent. I spent the spring and early summer up that way, parked overnight in many of the places you mention with yellow signs....even got eyeballed by the police a couple of times but no-one moved me on. Just don't overdo it, stay one night, two nights maximum.
Good place in Lochinver is Culag woods just out of the village on the Inverkirkaig road. just past the school on the right. No signs and it's a short walk down to the harbour and Wayfarers bar.

Alf
25-07-2011, 21:16
Those notices are only a deterrent. I spent the spring and early summer up that way, parked overnight in many of the places you mention with yellow signs....even got eyeballed by the police a couple of times but no-one moved me on. Just don't overdo it, stay one night, two nights maximum.
Good place in Lochinver is Culag woods just out of the village on the Inverkirkaig road. just past the school on the right. No signs and it's a short walk down to the harbour and Wayfarers bar.

The ones on old road and laybys are not enforcable the yellow ones in question are on Private land and should the owners decide to remove you so be it they have the right to do so
Alf

John H
26-07-2011, 08:27
The legality of the signs on the roadside and in lay-bys depends on whether or not there is a Road Traffic Order to back them up. You cannot tell by looking at the notice; only by checking with the Highways Authority. Many are put up simply as a deterrent with no legal force behind them. But my view is that if they don't want you there then move on to somewhere else where you won't annoy them. In Scotland we have never found any difficulty finding good spots with no notices. If we don't annoy them then they are less likely to put up more notices! Happy travels

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS