PDA

View Full Version : Map with pointers

ellieloy
25-07-2011, 17:26
Hi there,
I am just wondering if it would be possible for this site to have a map with pointers marking some of the wildcamping sites. This would make it so much easier for route planing.
I am just looking for a route up the west side of Scotland (we have wild camped on the west coast before) and it would be so much easier with a map an markers than me looking backwards and forwards between a map and places I haven't heard of that are actually way off route.
Perhaps I am asking for the moon, but being a bit of a techno-Bimbo, I wouldn't know.
Can it be done?

torwood
25-07-2011, 17:52
Hi subscribe to the site and get a copy of the current locations. In that you will find files for your SatNav, Google Earth, MemoryMap and Autoroute.

I use Autoroute for rough route planning, distances, etc and Google Earth (Like Google Maps) for detailed satellite views of the area around the suggested camping spots. If you are fortunate to have detailed Ordnace Survey mapping such as MemoryMap this provides a lot of useful information on the area around the wild camping location.

Hope this helps

Robert

adriacoral
25-07-2011, 18:57
If you join up you can have access to the goggle earth file which has push pins on it marking all the parking spots on the whole country. I use this alot as you can zoom in and look closer at the local area.

Canalsman
25-07-2011, 19:08
I'm a bit confused 'cos the original poster IS a full member already ...

adriacoral
25-07-2011, 21:57
Yes i noticed that too after I'd replied, maybe they just used the POIs tho and not looked at google earth?

iwm
26-07-2011, 07:45
Hi there,
I am just wondering if it would be possible for this site to have a map with pointers marking some of the wildcamping sites.

Such a map is possible but difficult to decide which of the 3000+ to display.

Much better to use Google Earth. Get Google earth from Google Earth (http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/earth/index.html)

When you have installed it find the wild camp.kml in the Google Maps folder in the POI download from wildcamping and double click it. The map will be full of 'pins' all over the UK. Then use zoom and movement controls on the top right of your screen to find the area of the UK you want - the pins become less crowded as you zoom. You can do much much more but too detailed for this message.

Hope this helps

IanM

Canalsman
26-07-2011, 11:01
There are tips here for Google Earth that make life easier http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-support/12549-google-earth-poi-installation.html

It is unlikely that there will be a map published on the site - the information in the database is only for access by full members and is only (at the moment) for download.

Nosha
26-07-2011, 16:36
I still like Autoroute, you don't need to be online; and once you've imported the POI file into Autoroute you can then save the map as Autoroute Wild Camps and it's always there ready to zoom in. Then find the relevent spot in your sat nav - done!

Google maps will allow you to see it as a 'photo' which is great at home, but not when you're on the road.

Lorry Ball
26-07-2011, 18:02
With Autoroute on a laptop you can add a USB satnav dongle, works well (you need the slow version dongle):have fun:
bigger display than normal sat nav

Lorry :drive:

ellieloy
27-07-2011, 11:50
Hi folks - yes i am a full member but alsoa bit of a techno bimbo ,so will have to get my OH to take a look at this LOL! Prob is that he gets me to source the places and then decides we'll go elsewhere!
Before becoming a full member I just relied on peoples' descriptions of places an we have managed to find them and stay (eg The Birks of Aberfeldy, and the Wallace Monument), but last autumn, we had an terrific row after the wind got up when we wee travelling down the east coast of scotland. I told him to pull in to Stonehaven where I had read folk had stayed by the harbour, but when we got to the roundabout he turned right and said he didn't fancy it as it was too windy. Pfttttt! So we headed along the dual carriage way in the dark at rush hour being pulledacross the lanes by the winds. After just a few miles I was in tears because it was so damn dangerous as the wind got stronger and stronger. So then he says 'well wheres the next place on your list?' - the air turned blue and I just screamed at him to pull off the road. fter driving along tiny roads by the sea we finally found a little carpark next to the golf course at Montrose and pulled in for some food and a nights sleep. By morning the wind had dropped, tempers were less frayed and we were on our way again.
A map with stop offs would be great - I will get him to look it up - that way he can decide!!!

Canalsman
27-07-2011, 12:24
Do you have a satnav?

If so, having the POI's loaded into it will avoid a repeat of the tale that you have told :)

ellieloy
13-08-2011, 10:22
Yay! Got it sorted! Only problem was that a netbook is too small to open it en route as we cant get the resoluton high enough, but nevertheless nowwe have it worked out, it is great for planning ahead - THANKYOU everyone for yor help and advice :)

rugbyken
17-08-2011, 20:53
as with quite a few other non techno members, i am reliant on blagging others to sort the computer for me, and first i've heard of this google earth option will need to get this checked out next time i can collar one of my more techno people,
i think myself clever to be able to post etc so having downloaded the file i have to wait now to get someone to load it on my tom tom, a hard copy map sound's fantastic will try and sort this for myself even if it requires reverse engineering off the database,

wivvys dad
18-08-2011, 03:05
With Autoroute on a laptop you can add a USB satnav dongle, works well (you need the slow version dongle):have fun:
bigger display than normal sat nav

Lorry :drive:

Sorry to come to your post quite late. But what USB GPS dongle do you use? I bought one which was recommended, but I'm bu&&ered if I could get it to work. I did at least get my money back.

Thanks in advance

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS