PDA

View Full Version : Outer Hebrides (Western Isles)

Guernsey Donkey
26-07-2011, 18:53
:welcome:

All info on the Outer Hebrides can now be found by using the link below :-

rienza
26-07-2011, 21:57
Do the Western Isles get busy during the Summer school hols Guernsey Donkey?

We were there 3 weeks ago and planned on going back in September but would rather go again in about 10 days time. The Islands are addictive but we don't usually travel during school hols.

Guernsey Donkey
27-07-2011, 08:46
Do the Western Isles get busy during the Summer school hols Guernsey Donkey?

We were there 3 weeks ago and planned on going back in September but would rather go again in about 10 days time. The Islands are addictive but we don't usually travel during school hols.

Come on up - no problem.

rienza
27-07-2011, 20:03
Right then we'll be up about 12 Aug when we've got rid of the granddaughters.

Thank you for the lists in your op there's one water stop there that we didn't know about. They're certainly useful for motor homes going over to the Western Isles for the first time.

Rolly
04-08-2011, 07:26
I've had my Camper for 10 years and been to WI many times, always stopping overnight 'wild'. I have a long list of places from Ness to Vatersay that I've been wondering what to do with and have just found this Forum. If you can give me an e-mail address I will happily send it as it's several pages of A4. Also have list of public toilets, shops, petrol stations etc.
Have always found the Western Isles quiet if you keep away from the 'honey pots' like Bostadh (Gt Bernera).
Rolly

Guernsey Donkey
04-08-2011, 08:51
I've had my Camper for 10 years and been to WI many times, always stopping overnight 'wild'. I have a long list of places from Ness to Vatersay that I've been wondering what to do with and have just found this Forum. If you can give me an e-mail address I will happily send it as it's several pages of A4. Also have list of public toilets, shops, petrol stations etc.
Have always found the Western Isles quiet if you keep away from the 'honey pots' like Bostadh (Gt Bernera).
Rolly

Hi Rolly - many thanks for that - if you send them to me spinning_wheel@btinternet.com I will put them on the site for canalsman to insert into the POI section of this web site.

Guernsey Donkey
04-08-2011, 12:09
Rolly

Info all received many thanks,:cool1: copy sent it to Canalsman for his info.

Samjc84
26-08-2011, 00:15
Hi All!

I've just signed up as we're off to the Western Isles on Tuesday for 2 weeks! Really excited as it will be our first campervan holiday and our first holiday with our dog ;)

I've booked the island hopper Hopscotch 12, Skye Harris Lewis & Uists. We plan on booking some official campsites every few days, to use the electrics, get water, empty the loo etc - but we're also hoping to do a lot of wild camping. Must say I'm a bit nervous about the wild camping, and not really sure what to expect?! I have fears of getting stuck in the mud on a tiny narrow lane, and upsetting the locals by accidentally parking up in their garden!

I'm organising the finer details of our trip over the weekend, so if anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd be very grateful. If all goes well we're hoping to buy our own camper, fingers crossed!

Happy camping!

:wave:

Guernsey Donkey
26-08-2011, 09:19
Hi Samjc84 Have you looked at these links - if we can be of any help to you - send me an email
spinning_wheel@btinternet.com - Have a safe journey and enjoy.

John & Ruth

cyclops2
26-08-2011, 11:17
Just got back yesterday from Benbecula and the Uists. On tuesday went to Lochmaddy to book the ferry for the following day and on the way out spotted the "W" on my satnav outside the Lochmaddy Hotel only 200 yards from the ferry terminal. Parked went inside to ask and was told no problem. Had a few pints and great meals, the first outwith the van and slept outside. The service was excellent. Plenty of wildcamping sites around and the Shell Bay site at Liniclate Benbecula is reasonable at 18 a night van + 2. It is next to the main school on the islands which has cafe and swimming pool. Next to that is the Dark Island Hotel. Very useful at the North end of South Uist in Eochar (Iochdar) Village hall is Mary's Cafe which has a CDP and water outside. This can be accessed when cafe closed. The old road outside is ideal for overnight. Stinky Bay between Balivanich and Liniclate on Benbecula is a great site but at low tide lives up to its name. Possibly better for a mealstop at high tide.
Pete
Certa Cito

rienza
26-08-2011, 14:09
Apparently you can get Internet access from the library in the above school and Vodaphone is better for mobile phones on the islands. According to the manager of Benbecula supermarket. Great shop by the way.

cyclops2
26-08-2011, 14:36
[img=http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1737/imag0011fi.th.jpg] (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/imag0011fi.jpg/)
Not sure if this will work but if it does thats us outside the Lochmaddy hotel
Pete
certa cito but not very good on internet

Samjc84
26-08-2011, 18:02
Yep, thanks for all the info GD! Do you think I need to book for campsites on the Isles? or just turn up?!

rienza
26-08-2011, 20:40
We just turn up if we need a site and haven't had any problems.

Guernsey Donkey
27-08-2011, 08:49
Yep, thanks for all the info GD! Do you think I need to book for campsites on the Isles? or just turn up?!

Normally I would say just turn up - but the odd one or two of the sites close in early September, so to be safe I would just make a quick phone call to be safe.
Any further help needed - just ask. :boat:

John (Guernsey Donkey)

tranivanman
28-08-2011, 09:34
Normally I would say just turn up - but the odd one or two of the sites close in early September, so to be safe I would just make a quick phone call to be safe.
Any further help needed - just ask. :boat:

John (Guernsey Donkey)

Hi john
brilliant work by you well done, seems like your another "brandyman" willing to help others were you can, you all deserve a pat on the back for all your work.

tranivanman:have fun:

schizowife
24-04-2012, 22:49
Hi john
brilliant work by you well done, seems like your another "brandyman" willing to help others were you can, you all deserve a pat on the back for all your work.

tranivanman:have fun:

Brandyman was our wildcamping god when we went to Orkney last year, we spent one night on a 'site' *cough,cough* it was actually the car park at the local village hall that had an electric hook up and you got the key to the village hall to use bathroom, kitchen, lush hot shower and warm changing area, all for a tenner! This year we are off on a hopscotch 23 tour of the outer hebrides in our vw t25 'Bessie' on 20th June. Going to go take a look through the suggestions already added for wild spots but if anyone can give me any ideas on beautiful places to stop over a night or two, just me the other half and our lab (who thought the orkneys were doggy heaven with all the walking we did), view and solitude more important than facilites, we're pretty happy wilding:). Please email me at hpentecost@blueyonder.co.uk any suggestions thanks.

schizowife
24-04-2012, 22:53
Oh and if any members from the hebrides spot us in 'Bessie', she is kind of recogniseable:rolleyes2: please say hi or give us a toot :) We only managed a few quick chats with Brandyman but it was lovely to just say hello to the writer of the few pages of A4 printouts that we called our orkney bible

Canalsman
24-04-2012, 23:16
It's worth noting that all the Orkney wilding spots identified by Brandyman are in the POI Downloads :)

Regards

Chria

schizowife
13-06-2012, 20:15
Woo Hoo:dance: We are able to leave for our trip 5 days earlier than expected so we are off on Friday for a month in our Bessie in Scotland and the Outer Hebrides. Can't wait:)

rrs2010
13-06-2012, 20:31
We are up exploring the area for two weeks in July... Never been... Can't wait :dance:

SJSScotland
17-06-2012, 14:20
Hi, just back from 10 days touring the Hebrides in our 'van and wondered if our experiences would be useful to others.

We took the ferry from Oban to Barra, we had heard that Barra is not friendly to wild campers so we booked a campsite (Croft 183 in Buile nam Bodach on the east of the Island) which was very nice indeed. Lots of signs saying no overnight parking but we did see some places where it might be possible to stop for a night on Barra - on the road just past the tourist information in Castlebay; head east out of Castlebay, just at the top of the hill there is a car park with picnic table; Eolagarry jetty has some parking and toilets, also the ferry terminal for the Eriskay ferry has parking. Nowhere on Vatersay but it looks like they are working on a campsite just as you get to the village. We spent 3 nights on Barra, cycling around the island. Visited the castle which was great. Also can recommend the Kisimul cafe in Castlebay and the cafe at Barra airport.

Then moved onto the Uists, would recommend booking the ferry if there is a particular one you want as especially the middle of the day ones get booked up and we ended up on the last one of the day. Drove to the Pollochar Inn on South Uist for tea - very nice - and then onto the wildcamping site at Gearraidh ma Monadh which was great. Flattish grassy car park, right on the beach. About 6 or 7 other vans and a tent there as well. Moved onto Benbecula the next day and stayed the night at Shell Bay campsite which was ok but not great and we decided to move on after the one night - also not a whole lot to see on Benbecula, it is as flat as Lincolnshire!! Spent a night at the wildcamping site at Bernaray just past the youth hostel - large grassy area on the beach, quite a steep slope down so be careful if you are in a larger van! An exposed spot and very windy that day - had planned to go for a bike ride but ended up doing a walk around a bird reserve on North Uist - the birds were not stupid enough to be out in that!

Ferry to Harris - the Berneray ferry terminal has a CDP and fresh water tap so we did a quick service. Tarbert for lunch, the hotel in the centre was very good and the Tourist Information office has a fresh water tap at the back we could have used. Drove onto the wildcamping spot at Husinish beach which is as beautiful as everyone says but just a word of warning, there are not many spaces down there - maybe 4 in the car park and another 4 or so along the lane. We were very lucky and got a really good spot just opposite the track to the jetty as a car pulled out just as we arrived and were thinking we would have to drive all the way back down the single track road! Very windy again and managed to fill the van with sand just by opening the sliding door once briefly! Toilets and fresh water tap available. Moved onto the campsite at Uig sands the next day as we wanted to stay in the same place for 2 nights and don't like staying over on wild camp sites. Uig sands was just like wildcamping anyway, no hookups just toilets and a tap - huge grassy area on the beach. 2 a night each payable at the bungalow on the main road just before you turn off (to save you having to walk back like I did!!) The owner is having a new facilities block built with showers and laundry and is having some hookups put in. Community shop in Uig sells calor gas and other camping bits and pieces as well as groceries. Final night was at a campsite in Stornoway to be ready for the early ferry. Gratefully emptied the toilet and grey water tank - whilst CDPs and fresh water taps were fairly easy to come by we did struggle to empty the grey water tank and a couple of times had to find a drain in a car park.

Had a fabulous time, we were really lucky with the weather (apart from the wind) and visited some amazing places and stayed on some beautiful beaches. 10 days really was not enough and we are looking forwards to going back and seeing more especially of Lewis and Harris.

HTH someone and if I can answer any questions, I will try!

PT2012
19-06-2012, 17:50
:welcome:

All info on the Outer Hebrides can now be found by using the links below :-

Great information there for us on our first trip to the Western Isles, so thanks!

Just wanted to ask some advice as to whether we need to book sites in advance or if we can just turn up? We're going to be in Lewis/Harris/Uists & Barra from 30/07 to 14/08 and then we're off to Arran for a few days.

We'd like to do some Wild Camping too!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Vanterrier
19-06-2012, 19:31
Hi, just back from 10 days touring the Hebrides in our 'van and wondered if our experiences would be useful to others.

HTH someone and if I can answer any questions, I will try!

That brought back some memories, thanks for the great read... I'm itching to get back now...

K ;)

sagart
20-06-2012, 14:25
Three things with Uig sands.
Donald, the crofter, has just lost his mother at the age of over 100, so sympathy from campers is appreciated by him.
Don't take your van up his drive, it's easier park by the Uig chessman just down the lane
Also, several this year have stayed and not paid...I met one couple who blatantly said, "If they don't come to collect, that's their problem"

SJSScotland
20-06-2012, 16:36
Yes, sorry, did not mean for people to take their vans up the owners drive at Uig sands! Just wanted to save people walking all the way back from the site. The owner is really friendly and happy to chat about the site, his plans for it and about the general area. He does not come down to the site to collect fees - he is elderly - but that is no excuse not to pay.

About booking sites, as long as you are not fussed about which site you stay at, probably no need to book. Croft 183 on Barra was full when we were there but there were a couple of others we passed that didn't look full. Outside of Barra, as wild camping is more acceptable, campsites we stayed at were not nearly full.... also Uig Sands (can't recommend this enough) is a massive site, can't imagine that ever being full!

Don't know about Arran as have not campervanned there......

carrerclan
23-06-2012, 15:04
Rolly

Hi Rolly

We are just about to leave on our first trip up to the WI and are very, very excited. Delighted to have found this site which offers honest tips from fellow campers.
Ive just booked a site at a croft on Barra as recommended, the owner sounded lovely and made us even more excited to get on the road! Did you get your list of places to stay added to the POI's yet? If not and there are some that don't appear on that list might you be able to send them to us? We are planning wild camping where possible with perhaps a registered site every 3/4 days for showers etc.

We are travelling with our two children and were hoping to shop for local produce as much as possible. However, the croft owner advised us to bring along basics as shopping very limited.

I am wheat intolerant so am thinking Ill probably be best to bring flour with me and make my own bread...where possible we would like to buy local produce so will be hoping to find fish/meat/possibly veg, any tips you can give us will be greatly accepted ;)

You mentioned you have a list of shops etc would you mind being able to send it to us? OUr email is stephanc7 AT bluewin.ch
Thanks so much in advance
Carrerclan

Henrym
24-06-2012, 00:32
Harris and Lewis, despite being one island, are like chalk and cheese - Harris hilly (3 internet near Tarbert) and Lewis flat (internet with 3 almost everywhere, except in Uig Hills).
FWIW, Diesel is cheaper at Stornoway (big petrol station near port) than at Ullapool; they also have LPG. (Also, Mallaig is more expensive than Broadford, on Skye)
To add to and comment on existing POIs:
B887 has few wild camping spots.
Huisinis Bay, at the end has one 4-camper CP (full when we were there), 1 or 2 spaces just before, at corner (57.9954 -7.90906) and one space on approach (57.9920 -7.0849). Or continue over sand-covered road and take right turn towards Scarp, check out parking at 57.9977 -7.0971 (maybe on foot!)
On the way: consider the Eagle Observatory parking (57.9508 -6.9278), a section of old road just after the school at 57.9481 -6.9278 (we used it - beware of people stopping to view eagles!!!! or school drop-off) and 57.9651 -6.9810, a junction up a track from the B road, just before the section through the grounds of Amhuinnsuidhe Castle (amazing). Don't obstruct access to fishery for the last of these.
On the A859 N from the turn to Huisinis there are numerous sections of accessible old road, up to the Lewis boundary. A few actual car parks, e.g.
57.9512 -6.7781., 58.0035 -6.7650

PS- could do with a Western Isles area, as for other regions....

toxicturtle
27-06-2012, 21:47
Yes, sorry, did not mean for people to take their vans up the owners drive at Uig sands! Just wanted to save people walking all the way back from the site. The owner is really friendly and happy to chat about the site, his plans for it and about the general area. He does not come down to the site to collect fees - he is elderly - but that is no excuse not to pay.

About booking sites, as long as you are not fussed about which site you stay at, probably no need to book. Croft 183 on Barra was full when we were there but there were a couple of others we passed that didn't look full. Outside of Barra, as wild camping is more acceptable, campsites we stayed at were not nearly full.... also Uig Sands (can't recommend this enough) is a massive site, can't imagine that ever being full!

We stayed there in February this year, was a great night as, as soon as we stopped we were surround by 11 scary looking but actually rather placid highland coo's! No problems with them at all tho and watched them take a wander down the beach later on and eat seaweed and dig the grass up wi their horns at the side of the beach. Went to pay in the morning but no sign o Donald but left it in the pot. Sadly didn't make it in May due to being in company o a tight fisted campervanner who refused to see benefit o exploring the island some more. Lesson learned is never go wi him again despite him being sort o family!

Jacana851
29-06-2012, 15:54
We have just come back from the Outer Hebrides and had a fantastic time. It was easy to wild camp throughout our 2 week trip which included 1 week on the islands. Took ferry to Barra and then 'hopscotched' to return via Stornoway-Ullapool route.
The info on here from Guernsey Donkey was very useful- thanks. Combined with the POI download + plenty of other wild spots it was great and the weather held for most of the time too !!!
What really surprised us was how well set up the islands are for chemical waste disposal, although some were rather hidden away and if you didn't know to look then it would have been easy to miss them. We used the one on Castlebay (which was rather hidden and the tourist office told us where to find it- (right behind the small CalMac office - disabled toilet the other side of the building), also used the Eriskay ferry terminal one and the one on the Point road north of Stornoway. Water was also no problem and we were able to fill up at several points. Some, but not all of the ferry terminal have the waster disposal (CDP) with a flushing water tap and also an additional fresh water point. The showers at Eriskay ferry terminal and the ones at Berneray harbour (not the ferry termal but the small harbour just N of it) at 1 for a lengthy hot shower were excellent and much better that our rather pathetic on board shower.
Best wild camp spots we used where Loch Skippert in South Uist -we were alone apart from the pod of dolphins that came in to feed and we watched them for 1/2 hour and the other was the Huishnish point on Harris (water tap and toilets here).
We used one of the POI on Berneray but had to abandon it as we were getting sand blasted as the wind picked up the sand from the dunes- we found shelter beside the causeway to the island instead.

New POI's found:
1) CR Loch Skippert, South Uist N57 19.619' W7 12.568- an area recently tarmaced providing limited parking long enough for MH (3 vehicles).
2)LR on B893 North Uist N57 40.983 W7 12.568
3)OR Causeway N Uist -Berneray N57 41.769 W 7 11.711
4)OR N of Ullapool, Morefield A835 N 57 54.828 W 5 11.078' -this is a lay by + a small picnic site just off the road.

We found there were no overnight signs at the POI 'Ullapool OU'.
Also on the trip no overnight signs at CR glen Nevis ski centre and on Glen Coe road the ones marked Glencoe 1 & had no overnight signs as danger of rock falls, but plenty of other options along this road.

Canalsman
29-06-2012, 19:52
New POI's found:
1) CR Loch Skippert, South Uist N57 19.619' W7 12.568- an area recently tarmaced providing limited parking long enough for MH (3 vehicles).
2)LR on B893 North Uist N57 40.983 W7 12.568
3)OR Causeway N Uist -Berneray N57 41.769 W 7 11.711
4)OR N of Ullapool, Morefield A835 N 57 54.828 W 5 11.078' -this is a lay by + a small picnic site just off the road.

We found there were no overnight signs at the POI 'Ullapool OU'.
Also on the trip no overnight signs at CR glen Nevis ski centre and on Glen Coe road the ones marked Glencoe 1 & had no overnight signs as danger of rock falls, but plenty of other options along this road.

Thanks for the suggestions and updates :)

Please will you check the latitude/longitude for the Loch Skippert place - it doesn't seem correct ...

Thanks.

Chris

scenictraveller
29-06-2012, 20:15
any issues on the impossed mpa

PT2012
30-06-2012, 15:22

Great, thank you for that! I think I am just getting myself a little wound up as I don't want to miss anything or waste time spending all day/night searching for places to stay. Lack of control I may be struggling with a little, whereas I know I should really just embrace it!

Jim007
02-07-2012, 12:46
Hi,

just back from the Outer Hebs and stayed mainly on Campsites. On Barra we stayed on the Borve campsite which is still a work-in-progress. When we were there 2 weeks ago they had 2 loos working but no electric anywhere and the facilities were a bit of a building site. Owner had 2 people working on it as he is starting to get complaints. Tourist info also mentioned this. They also said they now only let people know about this campsite and croft 183 after getting complaints from people who stayed on the other crofts and got stuck etc. We also noticed 2 campsites next to each other at the top of Barra. One of them was quite large with possibly 15 vans etc on when we passed with loads of room still. It had full facilities but I cant remember if this included EHU. The other was more basic.

Also at the bottom on South Uist there is a new campsite Kilbride Campsite, Isle of South Uist - Home (http://www.kilbridecampsite.co.uk/) . This is also under construction but you can stay there now. When we were there about 8 pitches had EHU and there were 2 loos and showers working which were amazingly powerful. When finished this will be a brilliant site.

Also possibly of interest I didnt see a midge all the time I was there.

orion
03-07-2012, 18:23
Heading over to Barra on Monday next and arriving on the 20.30 sailing. Any recommendations for an out of the way spot. We'll be travelling by 4x4 and tenting and can be fully independent so rough tracks etc. are no problem.

Ditto for places on the Uists and Harris/Lewis?

Thanks in advance.

cedas
03-07-2012, 19:15
we were on the outer isles a couple of weeks ago in absolutely fantastic weather - from south uist up to lewis -

I had downloaded wild sites from this site onto my lap top - but in the end not sure I used any of them. No problem in finding spots to camp. We wild camped near beaches every night - views of golden sands and the gentle sound of waves to rock us to sleep (but as I said we had fantastic weather and I know it is not always so good)

I am almost reluctant to mention sites on the internet - too many people might spoil things - but beach nr northton nr leverburgh was good (visit the temple cafe - excellent for light lunches and great views).

Also recommend bacon butty bus at leverburgh ferry terminal.

Huininish was good - lovely beach - loos and water available.

We camped at Bosta on Great Bernera - fantastic iron age house reconstructed and public loos immaculately clean - outside tap too. Not really room for many campers though.

We found a great spot nr a jetty on north uist - not far from balranald bird reserve, we aked permission from the fishermen who had piles of creels there - they were great and even gave us freshly caught crab for dinner!!

Recommend skoon art cafe on the east coast of Harris - not for camping - just for great coffee/cakes and fantastic art.

Most of the wild camping spots are best suited to smaller vans.

Remember most places closed on Sundays. Fuel places /shops not too frequent but all very helpful and friendly when you find them. No problem in finding the basics but if you have special dietary requirements - either visit stornaway or take with you.

Most importantly - remember the economy of these islands depends a lot on tourism - so do try to spend what you can over there rather than take it all with you.

orion
04-07-2012, 11:56
Thanks cedas.

By 'fully independent' I meant that we have our own cooking, showering (kampa geyser) etc. etc. facilities. We will certainly be buying as much produce as we can locally and the off-licence might be taking a hit as well!

I've had a good scroll around the OS mapping in Memory Map and by linking in to Google Earth see that there appear to be a plethora of unmade tracks leading onto otherwise hard to reach beaches, coves and dune areas. I don't think we'll have much trouble finding our way around but your recommendations are very much appreciated.

HelenB
22-07-2012, 19:32
Just back from a 10 day trip to South Harris and North Uist. Mix of sites, though none with full provisions, and some off site. The whole area is really campervan friendly, though the topgraphy of Harris makes available sites more restricted. On the west coast (the one with all the beaches), campers are actively directed to the Horgabost site, which is now semi-official but still very relaxed and lightly managed. No hook ups but has the advantage of hot water, showers, loos etc. Whilst in the Leverburgh area, boat trips with Kilda Cruises (http://www.kildacruises.co.uk) highly recommended - not cheap but a real one off, but book ahead and prepare to have plans set back by the vagaries of the weather! A real gem of a find was Croft 36 (http://www.visitscotland.com/info/food-drink/farm-shop-p304531) - a roadside help-yourself treasure chest for lovers of fish and baking.

We also had a couple of nights in The Bays are on the east coast - much wilder scenery but just as beautiful. Stayed at a new site in development at Flodabay Farm (/http://flodabayfarm.co.uk). Grid ref 888 098 At the moment it is little more than a bit of level ground at he top of a steepish track and a couple of hook ups, but plan is to develop a small washroom and water facilities, and the location is stunning. Run by the croft owners trying to scratch a living despite set backs from the planners and couldn't be more helpful. We had a fab afternoon listening to Andy Murray at Wimbledon whilst watching seal pups catching fish and frolicking about in the bay below.

Once down to North Uist, there are large sandy bays with flat parking spaces and picnic sites almost anywhere. Pretty much spoilt for choice but some we came across included Clachan Sands grid ref 766 872, Hosta (already well referenced) and our favourite, Malacleit machair tucked away at -750 798. But avoid taking heavy vans though the access gate to the ground where the Sollas week marquee sits as it is currently under slow repair because of costal erosion - and be prepared for an early morning call from young starlings on the roof in the early hours! Very well stocked large co-op at Sollas close by and a great low tide walk out to Vallay Island from just up the coast.

We also called in at a new site being set up at the nature reserve at Balranald (http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/b/balranald). Impressive open views over croftland, but no view of the sea - when on an island we prefer to see the coast so not an ideal location for us, but great situation at the edge of the RSPB reserve. The site is also still under development so no electricity yet, even though the adverts say there is. So no hook ups, and no lights or hot water in the facilities block yet, but once all connected it will have excellent facilities for anyone wanting a night or two with power and washing facilities.

And of course water and disposal facilities at all the ferry terminals, at which there are an abundance en route to and from the well subsidised crossings. A very easy trip - the sea, the wind and the sand are once again all in our blood and longing to be back there!

Canalsman
22-07-2012, 20:10
Pretty much spoilt for choice but some we came across included Clachan Sands grid ref 766 872, Hosta (already well referenced) and our favourite, Malacleit machair tucked away at -750 798. But avoid taking heavy vans though the access gate to the ground where the Sollas week marquee sits as it is currently under slow repair because of costal erosion - and be prepared for an early morning call from young starlings on the roof in the early hours!

Thanks for these suggestions - I've added them to the POIs :)

Just for future reference, you have quoted the grid references the wrong way round, which puts these spots out in the middle of the sea! If you remember 'eastings before northings' you'll get them spot on every time ...

Regards

Chris

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS