PDA

View Full Version : Portugal in January

Mudders
31-07-2011, 18:57
Hi All
Wondered if anyone has been down to Portugal in January? We're thinkin of 2/3 weeks to try and avoid the cold. Don't mind the Algarve, we'll take our own tomato sauce. but somewhere nice to stay with a bit of interest and probably the odd campsite to shower occasionally.

robjk
31-07-2011, 20:12
Hi I have been to the Algarve (monte gordo ) in Feb (plane not driving) and it was quite warm with a chill over night try this link it may help

Weather Averages in January (countries beginning with p) - Holiday Weather (http://www.holiday-weather.com/averages/january/p/)

Rob :wave:

warbreckman
01-08-2011, 09:36
did nov,dec,jan,and feb, weather was much better than uk 15-20c although we did have some realy bad storms at night most days were bright and no need for winter clothes.
spoke to some locals who said some years are quite wet and windy with thunder storms and occasionaly frost, this was mainly the algarve area but farther north was quite cold and reports of snow.
i would spend every winter there but the wife likes christmas with the family and grandaughter.
evora was nice and the coast to the west of it.all with cheap camp sites open in winter

derek miles
21-08-2011, 08:24
wild camping in Portugal is illegal although most areas leave us alone ,in the winter, if we are discreet. We have done the last 3 winters out there, mainly in the Algarve.Temperatures are like early spring in UK, last year was wet and many regulars left and went into Spain and Morrocco.We tend to stay in areas were there are not too many m/homes and we don,t use awnings or outside cookers etc if you look like parkers not campers you have a good chance of being left alone!

patricia
21-08-2011, 10:40
Castro marin good place to stop toilet & shower block 5 mins walk give the lady 50 cents for a shower, you can get water empty waste & toilet ,From there we go to vilareal st. antonio , park overlooking the river. Cheap campsite at Olhao bus goes into town from the site 50 cents or 30 min walk .

robodell
23-09-2011, 16:12
Castro marin good place to stop toilet & shower block 5 mins walk give the lady 50 cents for a shower, you can get water empty waste & toilet ,From there we go to vilareal st. antonio , park overlooking the river. Cheap campsite at Olhao bus goes into town from the site 50 cents or 30 min walk .

Think you'll find that prices have gone up out of all proportion to try to capitalise on the large amount of campers now using the Aire there. A shower WAS 13cents!! believe it or not but of course everyone gave the lady 50c or 1 euro. However it has now gone up to 2.50 since Jan 2010. Scandalous!

kenspain
23-09-2011, 17:00
If you go to Tavira there is a campsite open this winter 6 euros a night and might get that down if you stay longer, inland for free camping is no problem i spent 3 months by a big lake near Ourique its on Private land and the owner is ok with that water in the village 10 min walk but can get a bit cold of a night that time of the year. New campsite in costro verde 7 euros a night less if long stay we will be in Ourique in Feb if all go,s well.

Zepp
23-09-2011, 17:12
We were there Feb / March this year , had a great time your welcome to check our travel blog we listed wild camping spots / aires and campsites

Hope its ok to post link

Europe 2011 (http://www.paulandlynne2011.blogspot.com/)

Byronic
23-09-2011, 17:58
I've been going to the Algarve as one of my winter destinations for most of the last 20 years, and agree with the comments in previous posts, however I generally find (should you change your mind) that the Spanish Costas to have marginally warmer days but cooler nights, much depends on the wind direction off the mountain snows in Spain.
The eastern Algarve eg Tavira,Monte Gordo are a little more sheltered from the Atlantic wind and rain than the western Algarve towns such as Sagres Burgau. Although there are exceptions such as Lagos (pleasant town)which lies in a sheltered bay.
Wild camping has become far less tolerated in recent years but is still possible, when and exactly where varies week to week, year to year. My own guess for this winter would be that the Portuguese economy being what it is, that business will be grateful for any custom and that will be reflected by local police attitude to wild camping.
The length of the Algarve coast is best seen on the N125 coast road, in the winter it's rarely very busy, a few holdups at large towns such as Faro.The IP1 and IC4 Motorway alternatives are fast but boring.

kenspain
23-09-2011, 18:08
Also new toll roads are now starting to work so watch out for them if you go there.

Byronic
23-09-2011, 18:37
[QUOTE=kenspain;144398]If you go to Tavira there is a campsite open this winter 6 euros a night and might get that down if you stay longer
Hi Kenspain,
Haven't been to Tavira for 3 years, there used to be wild camping next to Pinga Doce and at 4 Aguas. Four years ago a new campsite opened at nearby Cabanas is this the campsite you are referring to?
Thats the unfortunate consequence of going inland in Spain and Portugal in the winter, it's so much colder than the coast, compounded by the fact that as soon as you leave the coast you are nearly always into the mountains and driving at up to 2000 metres.
QI the campo area around Gib has a microclimate: in the winter, nights are generally c. 16C and the days 17 or 18C. With more rainfall than London. Head east to say Torrox and it's likely to be 10c night and 22C day and half the rainfall, which is what most people prefer.

David & Ann
23-09-2011, 18:54
I think this winter you can forget Torrox Costa. The large car park by Hotel RUI is "No Campers" I have been told a few campers were vandalised last winter. The other side of Torrox, that is at the end of the beach where there is waste/open land, has a "No Campers" sign too. I was there in July this year and it seems to have changed for the worse. A good place for the winter is Tavernes de la Valdigna. Last year there were over 70 campers parked up for the winter. The folks and cops are pretty good there. No hassle. Plenty of good drinking water from the tap at the edge of the parking area. Can be quite windy at times though mild, 16 degrees.

Byronic
23-09-2011, 20:45
The carpark has had the "No Campervan" sign in place for about 3 years now. A few Campers determined to stay in Torrox line up in the road alongside and "Park" not "Camp" ie don't put out any camping gear or extend awnings, the police leave them to it.

refurbisher
23-09-2011, 20:58
Monte Gordo you will be among fellow friends but should only expect to be slightly warmer but we all know never to expect the weather to do what it is supposed to do. Lots of MHomers use this area. Away from the coast depends what you like, lots of nice accesible places around Castro Verde a bit further north but very wild. For 2/3 weeks you shouldn't worry to much about acclimatising so go for it, beautiful along the whole coast from St Vincente (a number of wild camping places if you play it right) through the Ria Formosa and on to Castro Marim on the border although found it to not be as tranquil of late. As people have said, they need every penny so now is the time to see how friendly people can be when they need to be. Enjoy, dead jealous, our favourite.

kenspain
24-09-2011, 06:57
In June July and August this year we only meet 3 other moterhomes the year before were 30 to 50 vans there.Many of my friends here think this winter on the cost could be a bit hard to wild camp as many sites have had a bad year money wise and are asking that more is done to stop free camping so that might mean you come inland a bit but make sure that there is no campsite in 4km as they will try and make you stay on it.

kenspain
24-09-2011, 07:07
[QUOTE=kenspain;144398]If you go to Tavira there is a campsite open this winter 6 euros a night and might get that down if you stay longer
Hi Kenspain,
Haven't been to Tavira for 3 years, there used to be wild camping next to Pinga Doce and at 4 Aguas. Four years ago a new campsite opened at nearby Cabanas is this the campsite you are referring to?
Thats the unfortunate consequence of going inland in Spain and Portugal in the winter, it's so much colder than the coast, compounded by the fact that as soon as you leave the coast you are nearly always into the mountains and driving at up to 2000 metres.
QI the campo area around Gib has a microclimate: in the winter, nights are generally c. 16C and the days 17 or 18C. With more rainfall than London. Head east to say Torrox and it's likely to be 10c night and 22C day and half the rainfall, which is what most people prefer.

No this campsite in July and August is for the Police only but after that any one can go there each year now when we go to Portugal we are finding it harder to free camp there and we have been going for 12 years now next year i wont go to the cost i will go straight to the lakes, Last winter I went down to look at some land i was going to rent but the weather was bad inland cold and wet so that put me of that idea,

lebesset
25-09-2011, 10:51
we prefer portugal to spain .....but december or january ? never again
better weather in SE spain

UFO
22-12-2011, 16:59
Wondered if anyone has been down to Portugal in January?

Not been to Portugal in January before but we are going in January, arrive in Santandar 14 Jan. Will visit Elvas and Evora on our way down to the Algarve and then up the coast to Tomar. We will leave the van with a friend north of Tomar and fly home on 30th from from Porto. In March we will return for 17 days and head East into Spain and back home via Santander. Looking forward to getting away.

dieselkg
27-12-2011, 19:56
Hi All
Wondered if anyone has been down to Portugal in January? We're thinkin of 2/3 weeks to try and avoid the cold. Don't mind the Algarve, we'll take our own tomato sauce. but somewhere nice to stay with a bit of interest and probably the odd campsite to shower occasionally.

hi mudders,done it jan 2001 in caravan monti gordo ////// of again on 14/ 1/12 dover /dunkirk stright down to algarve //// some wild camping & camping cheques /sites ////////regards dieselkg

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS