PDA

View Full Version : TOMTOM Devices - Help & Support Offered

fairytooth
07-08-2011, 14:50
DO YOU GET IN A PICKLE WHEN TRYING TO UPGRADE YOUR TOMTOM? IF SO, READ ON

Edit: I have just added a link to another section now that I can offer FREE WILDCAMPING POI INSTALLATION to full members. See here:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-campervan-service-repairs/16218-tomtom-repairs-free-wildcamping-poi-installs-members.html#post162875

If you have problems understanding all the technical jargon in order to get POI's on to your tomtom you can send me a Private Message with your contact details.

I offer advice to tomtom users which is free of charge. If you need more support than that e.g. your tomtom is jammed up or worse then let me know because it may well be repairable for a modest charge. Upgrades, Maps, Speed Cameras, Replacement Batteries and Screens are all possible.

trappers
11-08-2011, 16:15
hi all poi are in tomtom how to you use them regards trappers

maingate
11-08-2011, 17:51

If you have problems understanding all the technical jargon in order to get POI's on to your tomtom you can send me a Private Message with your contact details.

I offer advice to tomtom users which is free of charge. If you need more support than that e.g. your tomtom is jammed up or worse then let me know because it may well be repairable for a modest charge. Upgrades, Maps, Speed Cameras, Replacement Batteries and Screens are all possible.

Hi fairytooth,

The memory card on my Tom Tom One is just about full. Is there any limit on what size HD memory card I can fit. There is no size stated on the original TT one but I think it is 256 kb.

fairytooth
12-08-2011, 00:09
Off the top of my head I think it will be 2Gb SD card. It will not take a larger SDHC (High Capacity) without changing the software it runs on.

Yes, just confirmed, 2Gb should work fine.

rienza
12-08-2011, 09:31
Hi fairytooth. I'm on the point of buying a new sat nav. I've got it down to two - Start 25 (amazon price 144 (rrp 170) or Go Live 750 (160) (rrp 299).

I know one has got live services which I'm not all that bothered about and the other hasn't but with such a big difference in the original price I assume there's more to it than that.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

fairytooth
12-08-2011, 09:53
They are quite different in terms of spec but both are good devices. From what you are saying I think you will find the Start 25 very nice and perfectly adequate. It has a larger 5" screen which is great in a motorhome. The 750 has the option for Live services (normally free for 1st year) which can help avoid traffic jams by giving you up to the minute traffic data. But, unless you drive during rush hour I wouldn't bother with it personally. The 750 probably has a slightly faster processor so in theory plans your routes a bit faster (would need to check further if needed).

The Start 25 is a newer model than the 750, and it still has all the great features of tomtom, like IQ routes (best route by time of day based on statistical analysis); Lane Guidance, which most people like on unfamiliar motorway junctions; something called Parking Assist which is supposed to make finding car parks easier, and so on.

One thing to bear in mind is that the European Map is about 20 more to buy ready loaded. That would be a must for me but it depends whether you will stay in UK or not.

Hope this helps you decide. Either way, a good choice!

rienza
12-08-2011, 10:42
Two more questions if I may fairytooth. Regarding the mentioned TomToms would they both have the facility to mark wild camping spots to be able to identify for future use?

For instance on some of the Garmins you can identify by taking a photograph or simply by pressing a button whilst at the spot and putting it in favourites.

And can you feed on grid references.

fairytooth
12-08-2011, 13:31
Yes, you can Add a Favourite by selecting 'Current Position' then you enter a screen that allows you to name it whatever you like. Stored in your Favourites indefinitely thereater. No facility to accompany it with a photo.

I'm not sure I know what you mean about map co-ordinates but you can enter Latitude and Longditude (in a variety of formats as specified by you in Planning Preferences) either to Navigate To or as a Favourite and other things too.

Tomtom is extremely well thought out and versatile in that respect. I have been using a variety of tomtom devices over the years and can't think of anything I would list as a fault or weakness.

I am confident you will enjoy owning and using one. Make sure you take advantage of the facility to 'Update to Latest Map Edition Free' soon after you buy it. It is a limited time offer and easily overlooked in the excitement of having a new one!

Also, when the device is connected to your PC for other updates via tomtom Home (which you download free from their site), take the opportunity to go into Windows Explorer, identify the device which shows up as TomTom (E:) or something similar to that, and make a COPY of the whole file structure which you can then SAVE into a folder in your Documents on the PC. This might not make sense right now but will save you much heartbreak and panic later on should you ever make any mistakes in transferring (for example) Wildcamping POI's. Just make sure when doing that, that you don't alter ANY of the files you see, just copy them to your PC..

That all sounds very long winded if you're not familiar with how tomtom works, so just use it and enjoy it initially then read some more tips later. Believe me, there is no end to what modifications can be achieved with skill, experience and above all, patience in the long run.:king:

donkey too
12-08-2011, 14:12
Hi my TT just stopped working. That is it. Nothing ziltch. I was on a journey and pulled in at a cafe to eat so put TT in glove box and locked it. when I got it out it just don't work. I am one of these people who has to have every thing plug and play as I cannot understand the easiest of instructions. My daughtert says I'm thick. LOL.
Any way I can send this off and get an estimate of what is wrong and how much to fix?
Regards
Bruce

fairytooth
12-08-2011, 16:24
I am happy to take a look at it for you if you want to post it to me. Obviously, no fix no fee.

You can Private Message me to get address details. Just give me as much info about it as you can, eg. model, how old, etc.

rienza
12-08-2011, 19:34
Thank you for your advice above fairytooth it's sincerely appreciated. I've copied and saved your reply to use as reference.

Think I'm going for the Start 25. This will be my second Tom Tom, have always been satisfied with it.

fairytooth
12-08-2011, 19:40
Glad to be of assistance, hope you enjoy it.

Out of interest what happened to the old one?

Canalsman
12-08-2011, 19:49
They are quite different in terms of spec but both are good devices. From what you are saying I think you will find the Start 25 very nice and perfectly adequate. It has a larger 5" screen which is great in a motorhome. The 750 has the option for Live services (normally free for 1st year) which can help avoid traffic jams by giving you up to the minute traffic data. But, unless you drive during rush hour I wouldn't bother with it personally. The 750 probably has a slightly faster processor so in theory plans your routes a bit faster (would need to check further if needed).

The Start 25 is a newer model than the 750, and it still has all the great features of tomtom, like IQ routes (best route by time of day based on statistical analysis); Lane Guidance, which most people like on unfamiliar motorway junctions; something called Parking Assist which is supposed to make finding car parks easier, and so on.

One thing to bear in mind is that the European Map is about 20 more to buy ready loaded. That would be a must for me but it depends whether you will stay in UK or not.

Hope this helps you decide. Either way, a good choice!

You obviously know your stuff - have the restrictions on loading third party POI files now been removed on the new generation of TomTom devices?

It caused a bit of an uproar when they were first released ...

Regards

Chris

rienza
12-08-2011, 19:59
Glad to be of assistance, hope you enjoy it.

Out of interest what happened to the old one?

We still have it, consigned to a drawer when it sent us on a right old runaround on two separate occasions in one day. Decided that a newer model would give more options.

chicisles
12-08-2011, 20:13
I have tried to use the download service on here but to no avail, I can get the files onto the device but cannot activate Help

peanut
12-08-2011, 20:39
Hi can I ask a dumb question please.

I have 2x old TomTom Go710 and they havn't been updated since we bought them in 2006? would it be possible to update the maps and could you advise how I can do this please ?
I'm thinking of becoming a full member particularly as we are thinking of doing some free camping in the near future and would like to upload the POI's if they would be compatable with such an old TomTom ?
Thank you for offering your advice and help ,much appreciated. Can't seem to PM you ? perhaps I need to be a full member to do this ?

fairytooth
12-08-2011, 22:33
You obviously know your stuff - have the restrictions on loading third party POI files now been removed on the new generation of TomTom devices?

It caused a bit of an uproar when they were first released ...

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have no first hand knowledge as I use a GO930 myself. Tomtom now provide instructions for the new devices so it should be possible. See:

Third party POIs (http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13814/kw/custom%20poi/sno/1)

- I have asked buyers of new devices to let me know either way.

PS Many thanks for your superb work in maintaining the WC POI's !! Very much appreciated.

Regards, Graham

fairytooth
12-08-2011, 22:39
I have tried to use the download service on here but to no avail, I can get the files onto the device but cannot activate Help

Hi Chicisles, ok well don't give up! They should work just fine on your GO730. Nothing to 'activate' as such but the files need to go in the map folder not the main tomtom directory. Make sure you have a backup of the whole tomtom directory saved on your PC too (just in case!)

If the POI's are in the right map folder you should be good to go. PM me if you are still having trouble.

fairytooth
12-08-2011, 22:45
Hi can I ask a dumb question please.

I have 2x old TomTom Go710 and they havn't been updated since we bought them in 2006? would it be possible to update the maps and could you advise how I can do this please ?
I'm thinking of becoming a full member particularly as we are thinking of doing some free camping in the near future and would like to upload the POI's if they would be compatable with such an old TomTom ?
Thank you for offering your advice and help ,much appreciated. Can't seem to PM you ? perhaps I need to be a full member to do this ?

YES it most certainly can be done and the POI's will work on your old devices too. PM me when you are a full member if you would like some specific help or support.

Once you join up you will be able to access the full benefits of the site including the POIs.

maingate
13-08-2011, 12:07
Earlier in this thread I asked about a bigger SD card as my memory was nearly full.

Yesterday, I had a bit of time so I downloaded the latest POI's and decided to have a good investigation of the Tom Tom itself. I found that I could delete about 40 mb of memory by deleting all of the foreign languages on it. If anyone has the same problem, I doubt if you will need Chinese (Mandarin), Cantonese or even Flemish and Finnish.

fairytooth
13-08-2011, 15:27
Earlier in this thread I asked about a bigger SD card as my memory was nearly full.

Yesterday, I had a bit of time so I downloaded the latest POI's and decided to have a good investigation of the Tom Tom itself. I found that I could delete about 40 mb of memory by deleting all of the foreign languages on it. If anyone has the same problem, I doubt if you will need Chinese (Mandarin), Cantonese or even Flemish and Finnish.

Good to hear just be careful to always do a backup first and be careful what you delete. I know of many tomtom owners who have been left with a blank screen.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS