PDA

View Full Version : South Side of Loch Ness, Dores area...any good spots?

ALPINK
08-08-2011, 15:10
Hi,

New here, what a cracking site! I think i might become a regular visitor.

We're heading up into Scotland this weekend in our campervan (VW) and the only real restriction we have is to be in Dores, or rather on the beach, for 8am on Saturday morning.

My wife and I are participating in the monster swim :D

Having a bit of a gander on google maps/earth etc it looks like there might be a few areas pretty close by, can anyone confirm if there is anywhere suitable?

Would be superb if we could roll out of bed, slap on the wetsuits and get on with it :lol:

Thanks,
Ali

winks
08-08-2011, 16:29
Hello there

Never stayed overnight on that side of Loch Ness, but we have used that road to travel from Inverness down to Fort Augusta. Very nice road, very quiet and you get to watch the hordes following each other down the main road on the North side of the loch.

Do yourself a favour and go over to Chanonry Point at the Black Isle to see the dolphins whilst you're in the vicinity. You might pick up a few pointers on the swimming lark...

Good luck with the trip.

Harold

Barbt
08-08-2011, 17:13
We have camped in a couple of places on the south side - we found a good place under the trees, right by the loch - can't explain exactly where but you just need to look out for it! There are also one or two other places although there were a bit midgy to say the least.

Wind Dancer
08-08-2011, 17:29
From what I can remember there are not a lot of pull off places along there, but remote and beautiful it certainly is. It's a narrow road, with a narrow strip of tree lined land between it and the loch. You might be lucky and get a spot, or there may be several others trying to do the same thing.

As for Chanonry Point, I definately recommend that too! That is the main reason for my trip up there soon :)
When I was looking at the members POI's I seem to recall there was a site about 6 miles away from Dores on the B851.

The midges might be a problem, but compared to jumping into that freezing water for a swim I wouldn't be worried about them, or the other beastie you might meet! :lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

ALPINK
09-08-2011, 09:46
The midges might be a problem, but compared to jumping into that freezing water for a swim I wouldn't be worried about them, or the other beastie you might meet! :lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

Let's not go there... :lol-053:

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently having a virtual drive along the B851 via google maps. Already spotted a few locations that might be worth a closer look.

Going to become a full member ('cos i think i might be using this site a lot) so i'll get the POI file and check that out too.

Demonhighwayman
02-04-2013, 09:29
I'll hopefully be stopped along here tonight and am aiming for a couple miles after Dores as the phone signal looks best around there and I will be needing an internet connection. Is anyone able to pinpoint on google maps a quiet spot or two, someone mentioned a "good place under the tree's" in an earlier post which sounds ideal!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS