PDA

View Full Version : Torridon.

stevek
11-04-2007, 11:44
Leave the A896 when travelling west through Torridon and travel the single track road through Torridon village towards Inveralligan.Drive for about 4 miles until you reach a car park on the left.The footpaths opposite give access to the moorland between Bienn Alligan, Bienn Dearg and Liathach

christine
21-08-2007, 11:23
Camped in the carpark by the waterfalls above Torridon. No problems, apart from the midges. Also camped in the one and only spot on the lochside, below the waterfalls. There is also a free camping area near the Torridon Hotel, before you get into the village. There's an honesty box. Didn't stay here as it was no good for the boat as the bay dried out here at low tide.

stevek
21-08-2007, 18:55
Christine, could you be a bit more precise with the location of the waterfalls( the place is full of them !! ) and the Torridon hotel, is the Ben Damph hotel you,re referring to??

hillwalker
21-08-2007, 19:07
Christine, could you be a bit more precise with the location of the waterfalls( the place is full of them !! ) and the Torridon hotel, is the Ben Damph hotel you,re referring to??
it's next to the midges, steve..

stevek
21-08-2007, 19:16
Hilly, that opens it up even more!!

I think that Kinlochewe and Skye are the worst midges that I have experienced, so much so that I dont go to scotland in the summer months.

hillwalker
21-08-2007, 20:03
Hilly, that opens it up even more!!

I think that Kinlochewe and Skye are the worst midges that I have experienced, so much so that I dont go to scotland in the summer months.
here here..

firefighter
21-08-2007, 23:09
of course up here in Scotland the midges don't actually come near us!! only kidding fort william and glentrool were the worst I've ever experienced. On a good note the french say that if they come after you then you are blessed with bon sang (good blood) so when you're getting bitten to death you can appease the situation by likening yourself to royalty!! The best I've found to keep them at bay all over europe is "skin so soft" by avon, about 3 from an avon agent... devastating!!

swingsandroundabouts
22-08-2007, 20:09
And it is even cheaper when it is BOGOF!!! ( Avon so soft that is !!):D

pappajohn
22-08-2007, 20:27
scottish midges are the same as the english government........they both bleed you dry if you let 'em :D :D :D

couldn't agree more about glentrool midges, nasty little ba**ards :eek: :eek:
john

22-08-2007, 21:38
And it is even cheaper when it is BOGOF!!! ( Avon so soft that is !!):D
some1 else told me use avon so soft against the midges...i think it was graths wife kath....:)

grath
22-08-2007, 21:40
some1 else told me use avon so soft against the midges...i think it was graths wife kath....:)
twas:D :cool:

firefighter
22-08-2007, 22:47
I find skin so soft so much better than autan or jungle formula, ( starting to sound as if I should be getting in touch with my masculine side there!! ) I find that even the citronella candles and the electronic bug zappers don't work for me. So I will have the usual supply on board when I hit the meres in a couple of weeks!! There's a great kitchen shop in Oswestry for anyone who's interested and a really good musical instrument shop just up from the bit where the market is, I can't remember if the supermarket (middle of town pay and get a refund in store) has a height barrier :confused:

stevek
23-08-2007, 18:44
Glen Trool, there,s a memory.Recall leaving early one morning and just wrapping the little bleeders up in the tent flysheet.

I think it was glentrool that nearly had the first death by midge.The story goes that an army unit was camping out and had gone to the pub.On returning to the tents one soldier,mortal, started to get undressed and collasped halfway into the tent doorway leaving his top half exposed and lay there all night so drunk that he was oblivious to the bites but was a massive rash over the body in the morning.

hillwalker
23-08-2007, 18:44
:eek: :eek: the best thing is a net, i've got skin so soft. jungle form , and lots more and they r shite, get ur self a net , or dont go oot the hoose..:D

23-08-2007, 19:08
I find skin so soft so much better than autan or jungle formula, ( starting to sound as if I should be getting in touch with my masculine side there!! ) I find that even the citronella candles and the electronic bug zappers don't work for me. So I will have the usual supply on board when I hit the meres in a couple of weeks!! There's a great kitchen shop in Oswestry for anyone who's interested and a really good musical instrument shop just up from the bit where the market is, I can't remember if the supermarket (middle of town pay and get a refund in store) has a height barrier :confused:
somerfield on the way into town doesnt have a barrier any more mate...also sainsburys doesnt have one either...but the main central carpark does...kitchen shop is very nice but can be pricey...i got me bongos from that music shop...mint...also we have a marks and spencer shop just opened...its huge...samm x

firefighter
23-08-2007, 21:17
stayed there with one of the guys off my shift, we were doing the southern upland way, his dog woke us up with almost closed eyes eaten with midges, we left there and then!!

christine
26-08-2007, 21:47
The carpark for the waterfalls is heading towards Inveralligin and Diabaig. It's the start of the walk up Beinn Alligin.It's a few miles up a steep, single track road but is ok.

The camping near the Torridon Hotel is on the south shore of the loch, well before you get into Torridon village. Not exactly obvious as we only saw it on our way out.

Midges, well, we'd eaten marmite, garlic, plastered ourselves in skin so soft and Jungle juice and still the only remedy was midge hats!!!!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS