PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Mull

RSWO
12-08-2011, 18:14
Hi,

Looking for a few recommendation for my trip to Mull next week. Going for for 5 days (Mon-Fri) and I was thinking one night in the south of the island (Fionnphort) and 3 in the north (Calgary and Tobermory). Any thoughts on sites and what should not be missed.

Thanks,

RSWO

kimbowbill
12-08-2011, 21:06
Hi,

Looking for a few recommendation for my trip to Mull next week. Going for for 5 days (Mon-Fri) and I was thinking one night in the south of the island (Fionnphort) and 3 in the north (Calgary and Tobermory). Any thoughts on sites and what should not be missed.

Thanks,

RSWO

Try to drive throught the eagle reservation, its amazing, you enter a zone, big signs saying, please do not stop, please drive at 10 mile ph please do not blow your horn, do not get out of your vehicle,you are being monitored on CCTV. Anyone would think your entering into bear country but restrictions are in place to protect the Golden Eagles which you do get to see, the road is lined with CCTV cameras and you can just imagine if you did get out your car rangers would come from everywhere guns blazin lol, thats the feeling i got but we obviously respected the signs and drove very carefully and quietly through but now i have said all that i cant actually tell you where it is, we stumbled on it, maybe someone will be along to direct you. Calgary bay is amazing, in fact the whole island is, its well worth the trip.

enjoy

rienza
12-08-2011, 22:49
Mull is a beautiful island. The area where kimbowbill is talking about is Glenmore and the birds are sea eagles. You can spot them anywhere on the island.

Calgary Bay is lovely when there are no tourists. :lol-061: In Summer it's usually busy.

You probably know about the camp site at Fidden Farm at Fionnphort, camping on the beach and they have showers now. If you go over to Iona suggest that you get away from the crowds and walk over to the other side of the island. Lovely.

There are lots of spots to park up for the night round Loch Scridain and Loch na Keal. If you're lucky you might spot otters on Loch na Keal.

Camp site at Kiliechronan on Loch na Keal. Water and loo emptying only.

A boat trip over to Ulva is a pleasant way to spend some time and a walk round the island is lovely. Pub sells nice food.

The west side of the island is more interesting than the north east. Most of the roads are single track with passing places except for the stretch between Tobermory and Craignure.

Camp site in Craignure but I expect you know that.

Midges can be a pain but I'll bet you know that too. Pray for a slight breeze.

christine
13-08-2011, 09:02
Hi RSWO, have you had a look at my Mull page on Virtual Tourist? Lots of tips there! Wonderful place!!

"Magical Moments on Mull" Island of Mull by nickandchris (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/87f23/4b3a6/)

kimbowbill
13-08-2011, 14:49
Mull is a beautiful island. The area where kimbowbill is talking about is Glenmore and the birds are sea eagles. You can spot them anywhere on the island.

Calgary Bay is lovely when there are no tourists. :lol-061: In Summer it's usually busy.

You probably know about the camp site at Fidden Farm at Fionnphort, camping on the beach and they have showers now. If you go over to Iona suggest that you get away from the crowds and walk over to the other side of the island. Lovely.

There are lots of spots to park up for the night round Loch Scridain and Loch na Keal. If you're lucky you might spot otters on Loch na Keal.

Camp site at Kiliechronan on Loch na Keal. Water and loo emptying only.

A boat trip over to Ulva is a pleasant way to spend some time and a walk round the island is lovely. Pub sells nice food.

The west side of the island is more interesting than the north east. Most of the roads are single track with passing places except for the stretch between Tobermory and Craignure.

Camp site in Craignure but I expect you know that.

Midges can be a pain but I'll bet you know that too. Pray for a slight breeze.

Hi

yes we saw the Sea Eagles, but these were Goldern Eagles, in a special reserve, as you enter the notice says Golden Eagles, I will try to find the location

Jen

RSWO
13-08-2011, 22:18
Thanks for the reply's

Gilbert Dougans
09-05-2012, 07:49
Hi

yes we saw the Sea Eagles, but these were Goldern Eagles, in a special reserve, as you enter the notice says Golden Eagles, I will try to find the location

Jen

hi there kimbowbill there isnt a site for Golden eagles but there is an eagle hide on Sealasdair between Kinloch and Salen on the west coast you cant miss it if your on that road.
GD

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS