PDA

View Full Version : Lion Inn, Trellech, Monmouthshire

rugbyken
16-08-2011, 21:58
the lion inn trellech/trelech/trelick
apparently there are 26 known versions of how to spell this town with the first three used on the signs as you come in one from each direction , we came across this place on the way in to the forest of dean from wales , first thing we saw were sign's on the way in to the town advertising a weekend cider festival at the lion inn that's my other halfs tipple so we were predisposed to stop, as we got to the pub right on thre bend there was a motorhome parked with room for our's alongside, looked like an invitation to me so we stopped one of our best moves, the pub is a bit spit and sawdust so if you want a modern plastic palace don't bother but to me it was home from home with 5 cask ales and 3 draught ciders in the bar then a further dozen ciders in a marqee at the rear with a band, by the time we were settled they were on to an open mike session in the tent so we went and hid in the bar after a couple of decent local ales i was well into a wye valley beer called butty bach simular to TT landlords & tribute after 5 pints couldn't tell the difference,
the pub is in ********* apparently and though a member i hadn't got my copy with me but tony/tom the lanlord said he's been welcoming camping van's ever since he's had the pub, also dog friendly shuts though at 4;30 sundays

Telephone 01600 860322

Or visit Home (http://www.lioninn.co.uk)
N 51.74627 W 2.72396

Canalsman
16-08-2011, 23:47
Thanks for the info - I've added the pub to the POI database.

Regards

Chris

Beemer
17-08-2011, 06:21
Well, this is very useful info for us ...thanks for the heads up!
My parents live in Cleddon, and we usually drive through Trellech past the lion pub, but as I am not a drinker, we have not ventured in, but used a wildcamp POI in a car park on the Tintern road, or a very small campsite called Heather Dene just outside The Narth.
We can't park near my parents house because the access road is overgrown with trees.

LickeyEndBlues
03-02-2012, 19:27
We use The Lion as a pub regularly. Carpark isn't particularly level. The pub though is as described and the Wye Valley Butty Bach is top notch.

MORGANTHEMOON
04-02-2012, 10:44
the lion inn trellech/trelech/trelick
apparently there are 26 known versions of how to spell this town with the first three used on the signs as you come in one from each direction , we came across this place on the way in to the forest of dean from wales , first thing we saw were sign's on the way in to the town advertising a weekend cider festival at the lion inn that's my other halfs tipple so we were predisposed to stop, as we got to the pub right on thre bend there was a motorhome parked with room for our's alongside, looked like an invitation to me so we stopped one of our best moves, the pub is a bit spit and sawdust so if you want a modern plastic palace don't bother but to me it was home from home with 5 cask ales and 3 draught ciders in the bar then a further dozen ciders in a marqee at the rear with a band, by the time we were settled they were on to an open mike session in the tent so we went and hid in the bar after a couple of decent local ales i was well into a wye valley beer called butty bach simular to TT landlords & tribute after 5 pints couldn't tell the difference,
the pub is in ********* apparently and though a member i hadn't got my copy with me but tony/tom the lanlord said he's been welcoming camping van's ever since he's had the pub, also dog friendly shuts though at 4;30 sundays

Telephone 01600 860322

Or visit Home (http://www.lioninn.co.uk)
N 51.74627 W 2.72396

Only 40 mins from us so this is another one for the list.look at website
http://www.lioninn.co.uk/BeerFestival/beer_festival.html

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS