PDA

View Full Version : Spean bridge memorial

davymk2
17-08-2011, 10:15
Car park now has a no overnight camping sign erected and TBH I wouldnt like to stay there overnight as a mark of respect as there is a small memorial garden there which on Saturday still had ashes present of ex service personal whos familes had scattered them there. There is also recent additions from Iraq/Afghanstian there as well. I'm sure families having a privatre moment would like to do so without a load of campers parked up.

JoMutch
17-08-2011, 10:49
Like you have only ever stopped here to pay respects, wouldnt even dream of staying over night

Canalsman
17-08-2011, 12:21
There are other options nearby:

56.90491, -4.96335 - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/3wc6hxn)

and

56.89076, -4.91149 - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/26xa8we)

Regards

Chris

Bernard Jones
17-08-2011, 12:35
Apparently half the world is starving because the earth doesn't have enough land to support the growing population.
At the same time more land is being taken up by memorials and cemetaries.
If everyone who had ever lived had a grave the world would be covered in cemetaries, with nowhere at all for the living.
Its not an easy or popular decision, but as land becomes ever more scarce there must come a point when we have to have a rethink about how much land is devoted to the dead, and how much is devoted to the living?

fairytooth
17-08-2011, 12:36
Like you have only ever stopped here to pay respects, wouldnt even dream of staying over night

Ditto

maingate
17-08-2011, 12:51
As my wifes Uncle was one of the first to join the Commandos (No 1 Commando), I would take the opposite view as long as the parking area was a bit discreet. She can pay her respects to him and all the others.

BTW, on the subject of bodies and graves, I believe the number of people alive today is about the same number as the total of the number of people who have ever lived previously.

Bernard Jones
17-08-2011, 16:12
BTW, on the subject of bodies and graves, I believe the number of people alive today is about the same number as the total of the number of people who have ever lived previously.

I don't know how they worked that out.
Although the population was undoubtably much lower in the old days, the birth rate was probably higher. People just didn't live as long.
In any case Spean Bridge is not a graveyard, just marks where the army trained.
I fail to see why parking, or camping, there is any disrespect to them.
After all, they were supposed to be fighting for our freedom!

toxicturtle
18-08-2011, 19:47
and if they hadnt trained fought and died would we be parking alles uber the way we can now?
old argument but there are plenty of places to find and camp for the night. have visited the memorial and the garden of rememberance and worked my way through all the messages and tributes from friends n relatives of commandos old and young and found it a truly emotional experience. surely common sense and respect should prevail
Toxic Turtle

toxicturtle
18-08-2011, 19:56
Apparently half the world is starving because the earth doesn't have enough land to support the growing population.
If everyone who had ever lived had a grave the world would be covered in cemetaries, with nowhere at all for the living.
Its not an easy or popular decision, but as land becomes ever more scarce there must come a point when we have to have a rethink about how much land is devoted to the dead, and how much is devoted to the living?

Have you actually been there, yes this was built to remember men who fought but it was built for that purpose and it was built in rural scotland. you dont need to go far to find somewhere to park overnight without the chance of upsetting a horde of justifiablly upset commandos!
Toxic Turtle

Bernard Jones
18-08-2011, 21:41
and if they hadnt trained fought and died would we be parking alles uber the way we can now?Toxic Turtle

Fact: Britain declared war on Germany to get Hitler out of Poland, then left Poland with Stalin who was just as bad.

My thoughts: Would have been better to have stood back and let Hitler and Stalin annihilate each other, but we pretend it was all worthwhile to 'justify' the immense cost of the war. Yes I have been there and yes I do respect those who fought and died. Thats why I would have preferred it if they never fought at all.

toxicturtle
18-08-2011, 21:50
Fact: Britain declared war on Germany to get Hitler out of Poland, then left Poland with Stalin who was just as bad.

My thoughts: Would have been better to have stood back and let Hitler and Stalin annihilate each other, but we pretend it was all worthwhile to 'justify' the immense cost of the war. Yes I have been there and yes I do respect those who fought and died. Thats why I would have preferred it if they never fought at all.

but they did so you could prefer......

Allan Mitchell
22-08-2015, 17:44

Bernard. the commando memorial commemorates not only the dead but all commandoes who fought in conflicts all over the world from their formation in WW2 to present day. The land on which it stands belongs to highland regional council and is maintained by grants from the Royal Marines Association and members of the Highland Branch
l

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS