PDA

View Full Version : Abbotsbury beach

carolinemoon
19-08-2011, 14:07
Hi

We're thinking of doing a spot of fishing down at Abbotsbury this weekend. We've been told that the guy in the hut will let you stay overnight if you ask politely! Anyone done this recently?

warbreckman
19-08-2011, 15:24
hes never been there when we have arrived

carolinemoon
19-08-2011, 15:41
So have you parked up over night without any problems?

carolinemoon
22-08-2011, 08:57
In answer to my own question - yes you can park here overnight - we asked the guy on the hut. In fact, woke in the morning and several other vans were there, even tents. Don't make a noise, don't leave your rubbish and park up out the way.......NO PROBLEMS!!

Fantastic weekend had:dance:

Canalsman
22-08-2011, 12:05
In answer to my own question - yes you can park here overnight - we asked the guy on the hut. In fact, woke in the morning and several other vans were there, even tents. Don't make a noise, don't leave your rubbish and park up out the way.......NO PROBLEMS!!

Fantastic weekend had:dance:

Thanks for the update :)

Regards

Chris

carolinemoon
05-09-2011, 15:30
Another great weekend at Abbotsbury... we still can't believe that your allowed to camp overnight here....I would just hate the odd few to spoil it for the rest of us. Whilst we were there, a small camper/conversion arrived and spent a few hours sat outside enjoying the sun & a bbq etc. When they left a few hours later I noticed that they'd left a load of rubbish behind, yes it was tied up in bags, but at the entrance to the car park there are 2 big wheele bins!!!!!!

We ended up clearing up their rubbish, worried that people like that would give other wild campers a bad name....and like I said to my husband, the owners/council will ban overnighting if people abuse it so........

PLEASE TAKE YOUR RUBBISH WITH YOU & LET'S ALL CONTINUE WILD CAMPING IN OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRYSIDE....LITTER FREE:fun:

billi
27-10-2011, 16:23
can u tell me exactly this point is at abbotsbury,as we are going to see the swan sanctuary tomorrow and was hoping to stay overnight.thanks 4 any help-billi

carolinemoon
28-10-2011, 08:48
can u tell me exactly this point is at abbotsbury,as we are going to see the swan sanctuary tomorrow and was hoping to stay overnight.thanks 4 any help-billi

Hi Billi

We park up in Abbotsbury beach car park. Just follow the sign to the beach, follow the road down, you'll go past some tropical gardens on your right and the beach car park is just a little further down the road on the left. You really can't miss it because if you go past it you'll end up on the beach!!! Have a good time.

carolinemoon
31-10-2011, 11:08
Hi Billi

We park up in Abbotsbury beach car park. Just follow the sign to the beach, follow the road down, you'll go past some tropical gardens on your right and the beach car park is just a little further down the road on the left. You really can't miss it because if you go past it you'll end up on the beach!!! Have a good time.

billi
01-11-2011, 16:52
hi carolinemoon,we just spent 4 nites at abbotsbury beach. it is free if u go after 4ish,when the car park guy has gone home.there are loos open 24/7 and a rubbish bin.we went 2 the lower car park at the far end,avoiding the fishermen arriving at odd times.got talking to "the man in the hut"whoes name was john.he said locals didnt mind hm-ers being there as they indirectly keep an eye on there cars.we did pay for 2 days parking(3.50)for all day,but you could leave at 8-8.30am and return after 4ish if you want it for free.regards to all-eddie&debbie

carolinemoon
01-11-2011, 19:41
hi carolinemoon,we just spent 4 nites at abbotsbury beach. it is free if u go after 4ish,when the car park guy has gone home.there are loos open 24/7 and a rubbish bin.we went 2 the lower car park at the far end,avoiding the fishermen arriving at odd times.got talking to "the man in the hut"whoes name was john.he said locals didnt mind hm-ers being there as they indirectly keep an eye on there cars.we did pay for 2 days parking(3.50)for all day,but you could leave at 8-8.30am and return after 4ish if you want it for free.regards to all-eddie&debbie

glad you had a good time...if you have a look by my previous post - i've put a photo of our van at abbotsbury :-)

billi
02-11-2011, 06:40
hi basildog,the whole car park is in 2 levels.the higher level is grass(can be slippy)and the lower level is hardstanding.great for walking ur dog.

carolinemoon
02-11-2011, 06:56
So is the field you are parked in the carpark then ??????? Looks a great place for the dogs !

Yes, you need ramps on the grassy car park but we like to park there as often have the whole field to ourselves most of the time, plus there are great views towards the swannery and we've seen some great sunrises too!

If you want to be closer to the loos, then best to use the first carpark, which is mostly gravel - but we're totally self contained so don't need to use the facilities.

clarkpeacock
20-02-2012, 15:48
We spent last weekend (17th/18th/19th Feb 2012) here with no problems.

Arrived late on the Friday and there were just a couple of fishermens cars so had a very quiet night. Bit busier Saturday night with one other MH and maybe 6-8 fishermens cars.

Beach cafe was open Saturday but no one in the hut collecting parking fees. Cafe and hut open on Sunday. Parking fees are 4 before 2.30PM and 2.50 after, with a season ticket available for 20. Chatted to the guy in the hat and there was no pressure to pay as we were in before he arrived, but I gave him 4 anyway. A couple of very good coffees in the cafe, and I think we contributed our bit!

Some sunshine, not too much rain and not too cold. A very nice weekend.

moonshadow
20-02-2012, 17:56
Great info, thanks. We are thinking of going down once MH repaired (now beginning March) season ticket looks like a good deal.
Sue & martin

moonshadow
02-03-2012, 19:25
Just got back from 2 nights at Abbotsbury Beach car park. Arrived 15:40, Wednesday 29th, were charged 2.50 and then he went home! Next day the attendant, different one, was there again, paid 4. Stayed the night again and left Friday (today) morning. It seems the car park attendant is now there 7 days per week 9am - 4pm. Quite happy for people to overnight as long as there are no tents, chairs awnings, etc , basically anything that makes it look like a campsite. There was a fair bit of rubbish around, sadly, and on the beach (alot of it fishermen - empty fishing tackle packaging, plastic bottles,cans.) The farther end of the beach by the lagoon is closed from 1st April so as not to disturb the wildlife.

clarkpeacock
09-07-2012, 13:58
Sign on the car park hut now saying 'No Overnight Parking - No Camping'.....

As it's a private car park I guess they make their own rules up without recourse to a TRO. I had heard that there was a lot of problems with rubbish being left by overnight campers and fishermen.

Shame - was a nice spot to stop.

Canalsman
09-07-2012, 14:08
Thanks for the update.

I've removed it from the POIs :(

Chris

clarkpeacock
09-07-2012, 14:16
Hi Canalsman

Was about to post a new note about Badbury Rings as well.

This has a 2.4 meter width restriction at the entrance. As one post is a good 6ft high and the ground a bit uneven, there is a risk taking a coachbuilt through.

Mine is 2.32 meters wide and 40mm each side seemed just a bit too tight to chance!

You might want to add a note to the POI

Cheers
Clark

carolinemoon
09-07-2012, 14:19
Sign on the car park hut now saying 'No Overnight Parking - No Camping'.....

As it's a private car park I guess they make their own rules up without recourse to a TRO. I had heard that there was a lot of problems with rubbish being left by overnight campers and fishermen.

Shame - was a nice spot to stop.

What a great shame - like I have said before, we have often taken away rubbish in the carpark area left by others, and indeed, taken rubbish off the beach, leftover from fishermen and no doubt the general public too.

We have used this spot on lots of times when my husband has been night fishing, although unfortunately not much this year due to other stuff going on.

clarkpeacock
09-07-2012, 14:24
What a great shame - like I have said before, we have often taken away rubbish in the carpark area left by others, and indeed, taken rubbish off the beach, leftover from fishermen and no doubt the general public too.

We have used this spot on lots of times when my husband has been night fishing, although unfortunately not much this year due to other stuff going on.

However, we stayed at the Swannery instead which was fine and very quiet. It was only coming out yesterday afternoon we found that Abbotsbury had been flooded out and virtually cut off all day Saturday! I guess that's why it was so quiet.......

Canalsman
09-07-2012, 14:33
Hi Canalsman

Was about to post a new note about Badbury Rings as well.

This has a 2.4 meter width restriction at the entrance. As one post is a good 6ft high and the ground a bit uneven, there is a risk taking a coachbuilt through.

Mine is 2.32 meters wide and 40mm each side seemed just a bit too tight to chance!

You might want to add a note to the POI

Cheers
Clark

Will do :)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS