PDA

View Full Version : Greatham Bridge - Nr Coldwaltham - West Sussex

twosugars
22-08-2011, 18:07
A small rural gravel car park alongside the river Arun on a quiet country lane overlooking Amberley Wild Brooks.

The car park can get busy weekend day times with fishermen, but is usually empty evenings and overnight.

No height barrier but the entrance to the car park is between two large wooden posts designed to stop caravans. there are no restrictions on parking here, The Pulborough angling club sign relates to fishing rights on the riverbank - not the car park.

there is a canoe launching put in just by the bridge. High water here is about 3 hours after Littlehampton harbour, allowing a nice easy trip up to the white hart pub at stopham bridge and back - A round trip of about 14 miles, but it should only feel like half of that if you get the tide right!

Sussex - River Arun - Greatham Bridge to Pallingham Quay (& return) (http://www.canoedaysout.com/trip/196)

Coming from Arundel on the A29 Arundel to Pulbourough road, as you enter Coldwaltham turn right on to Brook Lane and follow for 1/4 mile, over the railway bridge and on for another half mile. The entrance to the car park is between two posts on the right hand side just before you go over the river bridge.

Or

Coming from Storrington on the A283 follow the sign for Greatham 1, Rackham 2 and stay on this road for 2 1/4 miles until you go over the river bridge and the car park is on your left.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh73/chris-clark-twosugars/wildcamping001.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh73/chris-clark-twosugars/wildcamping002.jpg

car park is just to right of this picture, red thing is bow of a canoe in car park.

stormywalters
22-08-2011, 21:06
Strooth mate you get about, sound as bad as us. Think we`ve been away 25 times so far this year. Havent I seen you on T4 forum as well ? ...
Lovin the dubin...Stormy

Canalsman
22-08-2011, 21:57
Would a motorhome get through the gap? It looks pretty narrow ...

Dezi
23-08-2011, 06:47
I think the entrance is about two metres. I stayed over for lunch & a nap in the Murvi recently.

Dezi

twosugars
23-08-2011, 08:24
Strooth mate you get about, sound as bad as us. Think we`ve been away 25 times so far this year. Havent I seen you on T4 forum as well ? ...
Lovin the dubin...Stormy

Tis true, my t4 and i gets everywhere, just got back from t4 fest at beaulieu :)

twosugars
23-08-2011, 08:29
Would a motorhome get through the gap? It looks pretty narrow ...

a panal van sized camper would have no problems, larger campers with a coachbuilt body may struggle - winnibago's are right out. the gap is about eight feet wide.

Canalsman
23-08-2011, 11:28
Thanks for the extra info - I've added it to the POI database with a note about the restricted entrance.

Regards

Chris

BAZA
18-05-2013, 15:56
Went to go camping at Greatham Bridge as I have done for last 10~12 years, only to find a gate has been put across the entrace with a sign on it saying closed until further notice. Apparently, the up keep for the car park is 1000/year. My friends & I would be happy to pay 5each/night that we are there, towards the up keep. Also I have spoken to other users of the car park, some of them think a donations box would be a good idear. However, on a darker note, certain individules have been smashing down trees & fences, & lighting fires in the car park. Others or same do not seem capable of digging a hole when nature calls. Anyway, I would love to see it open again soon.

POI Admin
18-05-2013, 16:52
Thanks for the update ...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS