PDA

View Full Version : Whitby - CV+MH magnet!

UFO
23-08-2011, 19:06
Just spent 12 nights on the Northumberland and North Yorkshire coasts. Did not see another MH/CV on any of the wild sites. When we arrived in Whitby on Saturday afternoon there were 25 plus MH/CV marked along the road overlooking the beach, plus others down side roads. Odd thing is that all through the town every 10th or so lamp post had a sign 'No Camping Or Sleeping In Vehicles 11pm-6am' - looked like a mass protest especially as some of MHs were clearly there for a while - there was a folk festival taking place. No space for us so we stopped overnight in the Spa Top car park where there are no signs banning camping or sleeping! Moved onto the road in the morning, on-street parking is free.

Puzzling David

yorkslass
23-08-2011, 19:36
Just spent 12 nights on the Northumberland and North Yorkshire coasts. Did not see another MH/CV on any of the wild sites. When we arrived in Whitby on Saturday afternoon there were 25 plus MH/CV marked along the road overlooking the beach, plus others down side roads. Odd thing is that all through the town every 10th or so lamp post had a sign 'No Camping Or Sleeping In Vehicles 11pm-6am' - looked like a mass protest especially as some of MHs were clearly there for a while - there was a folk festival taking place. No space for us so we stopped overnight in the Spa Top car park where there are no signs banning camping or sleeping! Moved onto the road in the morning, on-street parking is free.

Puzzling David

it has always been a bit of" anything goes" at both the folk week and the regatta. thankfully this year they took place on different weeks.

fairytooth
23-08-2011, 19:47
Well let's see what Scarborough B.C. do to solve the parking 'challenge' shall we and then decide whether a mass protest by wild campers is necessary!!

I think that would make good headlines ......... I wonder how many of us who use this site would be willing and able to make such a social gathering?

Please click the 'Like' button if you think it's something we should consider.

Old_Arthur
23-08-2011, 20:18
we have been using scarborough since the early 70's ,we will be there again this weekend, only ever been asked once very politely to move this was off the lifeboat carpark after some ar$ehole set up camp on a saturday afternoon and light a bar b que:rolleyes2: i don't know of anyone else who as been moved ?? does anyone? ? the problem is the blue badge holders parking on the disable bays in front of the harbour for days on end, it's them that are getting motorhomes in the spot light

cooljules
23-08-2011, 23:35
i want to go up to whitby in a few weeks...thanks :-)

kimbowbill
24-08-2011, 01:06
i want to go up to whitby in a few weeks...thanks :-)

why dont you join our Scarboro campaign?

cooljules
24-08-2011, 01:44
why dont you join our Scarboro campaign?
i saw that, and would, cant find the thread though

UFO
24-08-2011, 10:44
Does this mean that people are ignoring the 'No Camping Or Sleeping In Vehicles 11pm-6am' signs and getting away with it?

It appears to be rather daft when there are no restrictions on sleeping in vehicles in car parks in the town and the on-street parking is free. Simple solution overnight in a car park and move onto the street during the day.

I agree that those who park up for long periods are giving us a bad name - even saw one MH with the waste pipe open and discharging onto the road and another with a wheel on the pavement to get the van level.

We never stay in urban areas for more than one night and maximum two in rural ones.

Test2391
16-09-2011, 16:43

Puzzling David

Hi, we stay at Whitby 5 or 6 weekends a year and normally stay in the car park but on our last visit we bought the Whitby gazette and an article focusing on a complaint by a local councillor about wild campers on the streets. The conclusion of the article was that:lol-053: the council and police admitted that the no overnight camping signs were not enforcable as no local by law was in place

Lidders
23-09-2011, 13:54
Last time I went I parked in the car park near the swimming pool / sports centre on the north side. 5 quid I think.

LIDDERS

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS